Something this heavy should work!

Review by shu posted 05-25-2014 06:17 PM 2823 views 0 times favorited 22 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Something this heavy should work! No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This is a poorly designed sander.
You would think that if a tool weighed as much as a submarine, it would be steady worker, but the Grizzly GO458 takes a break about every 30 minutes and decides to adjust itself where it wants to be.
Seriously, it has many design problems.
The feed belt will only stay in adjustment while you are watching it. It must be a quantum physics thing. After about a half hour of sanding, when your hands and mind are fixed on keeping it from sniping your work, because there are no input/output feed tables or shelves to guide your workpiece, the feed belt, which is nothing but a large piece of sandpaper, will be ripping against the sides and adding an extra $50 to your next Grizzly parts order. So you take out your adjustment manual and tighten or loosen two small screws to provide different tension on either side. Great! The feed belt eventually goes the other way, and then you have to guess how much to reverse your adjustment to counter act your first adjustment. After spending much time instead of woodworking, the feed belt runs true, for sometimes a day. Then just when you think you have it, there it is again ripping itself up against the frame.
The table depth adjustment for setting and advancing your sanding depth with each of the many passes it takes to get anything accomplished, is not consistent at all. You may give the wheel an 1/8 of a turn, with little effect, then with the slightest movement clockwise, it is putting burning marks on top of the snipe marks from your previous passes, and destroying another expensive roll of sandpaper. Grizzly will tell you to run several passes before advancing the wheel, and that keeps the feed wheel from backing off by itself, but this does not address the sloppy, inaccurate, guess-work table operation.
It takes extreme concentration to prevent sniping, even with an in-feed and out-feed rollers. Then of course you have to keep adjusting them because the table is changing height from the ground, every time you adjust the wheel. So you have to place one hand to keep pressure and the work level going in and the other to keep it level coming out, giving it a big bear hug, and hoping you don’t have any loose clothing that will suck you in and grind you up like it does your $50 feed belts. Even when you think you have avoided snipe, later as you are fine hand sanding, the snipe will appear like some evil demon, much of the time, because it is impossible to hold that work perfectly in place, make feed wheel adjustments and check your feed belt from tearing at the same time.
The stand is barely adequate for the weight of the sander, and is potentially dangerous. It holds the weight and works ok, but it is on the edge of disaster if you try to move it. When I first set up the sander, one of the legs bent as I was standing it up and that cost another $50.
Now for the bad part. After I have been in contact with Grizzly for months, and after going through the same technical support procedure for 3 times, a decision maker finally got the message back to me that they would not take the GO458 in trade for something better, until I shipped the submarine back to them and they tried to make repairs? Hello Grizzly! It has nothing to do with repairs, it is poorly designed!!!!
So now I am stuck with it. Once you are able to bring a submarine into your basement, it is not something that you casually send back to see if Grizzly can make it work, so they can decide if they want to sell you something better.
Don’t waste your time! Spend the money for a real drum sander.

View shu's profile

shu

#1 posted 05-25-2014 06:25 PM

I’m a little confused,why would you give this planner 4 stars when your so unhappy with it ?

View abie's profile

abie

#2 posted 05-25-2014 07:28 PM

Jim, He Gave it One star on my page.

-- Bruce. a mind is like a book it is only useful when open.

#3 posted 05-25-2014 07:31 PM

excuse me I was looking on the upper right side of the page.

View LoriF's profile

LoriF

#4 posted 05-25-2014 08:31 PM

a1Jim – I could be wrong but it appears that shu gave it 1 star which is on the left side of the header, and the 4 star review on the right side of the header is “5 reviews total”. If not for your post I wouldn’t haven’t noticed that previous reviews could be viewed by clicking the “5 reviews total”.

stu- I wonder if you just got a lemon considering the good reviews by others. Just a thought as I didn’t read through the other reviews. Sorry that you’re stuck with your machine because of Grizzly’s failure to stand by it’s product meaning Refund or Replace and free shipping for customer returns. That’s good customer service in my opinion.

-- There's a crack in everything that’s how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

#5 posted 05-25-2014 09:51 PM

Thank you Lori ,Yes I did notice that ,us old guys get confused sometimes :)

View ScottKaye's profile

ScottKaye

#6 posted 05-26-2014 12:58 AM

Sorry it didn’t work out for you Shu. I have had my supermax 19-38 since November, and I have never had to adjust the belt tracking since I took it out of the box. In fact the only thing that was some what a pain in the arse was adjusting the table to the drum but I quickly figured out how to do that easy enough using feeler gauges. Maybe you should give grizzly a call and see what they recommend. If I recall that model is notorious for having to constantly adjust the belt tracking.

-- "Nothing happens until you build it"

View bowtie's profile

bowtie

#7 posted 05-26-2014 01:57 AM

I have the same sander and grizzly sent me a new belt which works better but still requires a watchful eye and occasional adjustment.
I have a hard time keeping the sand paper from bunching up on the right side of the drum so its basically good for 10-12” stock, forget a 36” board on 2 passes it cuts a groove every time.
Poor dust collection.
Extremely underpowered.
I’m surprised anyone ever gave it over 2 stars if used at all.
I know a lot of people who love grizzly but I have to agree with shu, this is a poorly designed and cheaply built anchor

-- bowtie,.....jus passin thru.... cccedar.com

#8 posted 05-26-2014 02:12 AM

Thanks for the review. I have had this one on my watch list for when I can afford a wide drum sander…

I kind of gave up the idea, and have been admittedly VERY slowly, been working on building my own drum sander.

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

View shu's profile

shu

#9 posted 05-26-2014 11:48 AM

Thanks for all the comments.

Yes it is a one star rating. I am not so upset that Grizzly made a machine that doesn’t meet their usual quality. That can happen to any company. It is the fact that they gave me the run-a-round when I offered to purchase something better with a trade-in, and it took three tries and six months for a customer service decision maker to get back with me. I will never buy Grizzly again until they take this machine back and compensate me for months of trouble, wasted sanding belts, and the extra parts that i purchased.

View Roger's profile

#10 posted 05-26-2014 12:26 PM

Sounds like you may have got a lemon. Drum sanders are a bit finicky tho. Maybe they’ll refund you, or give you another.

-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Kentuk55@bellsouth.net

View Paul's profile

Paul

#11 posted 05-26-2014 01:47 PM

Too bad, I would have expected better from the Griz people. I have the Delta version and there was quite a learning curve to using it and getting it aligned. I recall there is a break in period for the drive belt, it has to get accustomed to my machine as it initially stretched, and now ‘sort of’ runs true but still required an occasional tweek.
I suppose part of woodworking is dealing with frustrations but poorly designed equipment brings it to another level, I hope the Grizzley people eventually help you out.

-- If you say 'It's good enough', it probably isn't.

View Manitario's profile

Manitario

#12 posted 05-26-2014 05:00 PM

Most of the other reviews of this machine mention the same difficulty you have with it; they don’t seem to mind but I think I’d side with your opinion; the constant need to have to adjust belt tension would drive me crazy.

-- Sometimes the creative process requires foul language. -- Charles Neil

View harveysoriginals's profile

harveysoriginals

#13 posted 05-26-2014 08:20 PM

I have this sander too and have not had this particular problem. Once i got it aligned, I have never touched that adjustment again. The only issue I have had with this sander is the spring that holds tension on the sandpaper. It has broken twice now. They have been great about that and sent me parts and fortunately, it is an easy fix. Actually, the customer service guy talked me through the procedure the first time. It makes a huge racket when it does break though and will definitely make you jump!
Other than that though, it has been a work horse for me. I will say that I have never used in on anything that wouldn’t fit in it though. 17 inches across has been my maximum. I think it would be too hard to hold a 30 panel while it went through the drum.

-- The most dangerous tool in my shop is the one I am currently using! Harvey

View kajunkraft's profile

kajunkraft

#14 posted 05-27-2014 12:24 AM

I “up-graded” from a 16-32 Jet Drum Sander to the 19-38 SuperMax. It sure looks a lot like the Jet, and was designed/built by the same people, as I understand. While the Jet was not a huge problem, I did have problems keeping the conveyor belt in line and changing the sanding belt was a bit of a hassle, it was OK. However, the SuperMax is night & day better. No conveyor belt tracking issues and changing the sanding belt is a whole lot easier. Aligning the drum was no problem … when I first set it up I checked and it seemed to be right on. Still is.
I have several Grizzly products and am generally happy with them. I considered their drum sander but splurged on the SuperMax instead. Don’t regret it.

View Bogeyguy's profile

Bogeyguy

#15 posted 05-27-2014 12:13 PM

Weight has nothing to do with performance. Just sayin.

-- Art, Pittsburgh.