|Review by paxorion||posted 05-25-2014 01:13 PM||4042 views||0 times favorited||1 comment|
The DeWalt TSTAK is the yellow and black competitor to the Festool/Tanos Systainer and Bosch/Sortimo L-Boxx. There doesn’t seem to be much of a retail presence at the moment (although Woodcraft seems to have begun carrying them, and highlighted them as a 2014 Fathers Day gift idea). So after a lot of online research, I procured a few of these units (the long-handle I, flat top II, and 2 drawer IV) because I found them to be on average, 30-50% less per unit than it’s competitors.Since I usually work outdoor in my backyard, my goals for the units was to improve my efficiency by consolidating my portable tools and accessories. Featured photos are the long-handle I serving as my drill/driver case (all of the bits and batteries stored in the top) and my ROS sanding rig, combining the sander, bench cookies, and sandpaper. Without a doubt, these units have drastically improved my efficiency (especially the sanding phase). Made in Italy (like the Keter brand storage units), these units have a good fit and finish, and kudos to Dewalt for using metal full extension glides for the drawer unit. The units have been a fantastic addition to my shop, for a whole lot less than the competitors (30-50% less), and I plan on adding the cart and deep box VI to my collection. I do want to highlight a few nuisance points to explain the 4 star rating:
- The cases are made of a softer plastic construction, similar (but slightly more robust) to blow mold tool cases, and while it does seem lighter than the competitors, it’s probably not as resilient to abuse.
- The top compartment of the long handle I has plastic (not metal) latches and can get very top heavy (like with my drill/driver case).
- The connectors between the units require 4 total steps to connect (open 2 latches and then snap to close 2 latches), which is far more steps than current T-lock Systainers and the L-Boxx.
- When removing the dividers from the 2 drawer IV (so that I could fit my sandpaper in), I found them to be far more difficult to remove than anticipated.