Mobile storage for less

Review by paxorion posted 05-25-2014 01:13 PM 2977 views 0 times favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch
Mobile storage for less Mobile storage for less Mobile storage for less Click the pictures to enlarge them

The DeWalt TSTAK is the yellow and black competitor to the Festool/Tanos Systainer and Bosch/Sortimo L-Boxx. There doesn’t seem to be much of a retail presence at the moment (although Woodcraft seems to have begun carrying them, and highlighted them as a 2014 Fathers Day gift idea). So after a lot of online research, I procured a few of these units (the long-handle I, flat top II, and 2 drawer IV) because I found them to be on average, 30-50% less per unit than it’s competitors.

Since I usually work outdoor in my backyard, my goals for the units was to improve my efficiency by consolidating my portable tools and accessories. Featured photos are the long-handle I serving as my drill/driver case (all of the bits and batteries stored in the top) and my ROS sanding rig, combining the sander, bench cookies, and sandpaper. Without a doubt, these units have drastically improved my efficiency (especially the sanding phase). Made in Italy (like the Keter brand storage units), these units have a good fit and finish, and kudos to Dewalt for using metal full extension glides for the drawer unit. The units have been a fantastic addition to my shop, for a whole lot less than the competitors (30-50% less), and I plan on adding the cart and deep box VI to my collection. I do want to highlight a few nuisance points to explain the 4 star rating:
  • The cases are made of a softer plastic construction, similar (but slightly more robust) to blow mold tool cases, and while it does seem lighter than the competitors, it’s probably not as resilient to abuse.
  • The top compartment of the long handle I has plastic (not metal) latches and can get very top heavy (like with my drill/driver case).
  • The connectors between the units require 4 total steps to connect (open 2 latches and then snap to close 2 latches), which is far more steps than current T-lock Systainers and the L-Boxx.
  • When removing the dividers from the 2 drawer IV (so that I could fit my sandpaper in), I found them to be far more difficult to remove than anticipated.

-- paxorion

View paxorion's profile

paxorion

1 comment so far

View BikerDad's profile

BikerDad

#1 posted 07-08-2014 05:56 AM

just as an FYI for folks, C.A.L. Ranch stores, which is a farm/ranch chain in the Intermountain West, is stocking these also. And there’s a good chance that your local tool retailer (not Borg) will have them.

-- I'm happier than a tornado in a trailer park! Grace & Peace.