Trend Tool & Bit Cleaner Cuts Through Blade Buildup Effortlessly

Review by CBeard posted 05-21-2014 12:54 PM 2411 views 0 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Trend Tool & Bit Cleaner Cuts Through Blade Buildup Effortlessly Trend Tool & Bit Cleaner Cuts Through Blade Buildup Effortlessly Trend Tool & Bit Cleaner Cuts Through Blade Buildup Effortlessly Click the pictures to enlarge them

After replacing the blade on my tablesaw, I promptly made the mistake of running some construction grade 2×12’s through it. To say that they gummed up the blade would be an understatement. I took the gummed up blade off and set it to the side for a few weeks until I had time to find a cleaner to remove the sap. Online reviews led me to Trend Tool & Bit Cleaner. Unlike some other cleaners, it is non toxic and biodegradable, which naturally causes one to question how well it can actually work. I bought two bottles of the cleaner assuming that I would need to soak the blade in it. However, with just a few sprays of the cleaner on the blade and letting it sit for 5 minutes, the sap easily wiped off with a paper towel. I used a tooth brush to clean out the gullets and the front faces of the carbide teeth. No scrubbing was needed and the tooth brush very easily wiped away the sap. All in all, it took me 10 minutes to clean the blade including soak time. I highly recommend this product for cleaning residue from sawblades and other woodworking cutting tools.

View CBeard's profile

CBeard

View CBeard's profile

CBeard

#1 posted 05-21-2014 01:11 PM

Just needed to add one more picture showing how dirty the teeth were…

View paxorion's profile

paxorion

#2 posted 05-21-2014 01:38 PM

Thanks for the review. I bought a bottle of it when it was on sale at Woodcraft and have yet to get to cleaning my saw blades. Looking forward to seeing how it will work for me.

-- paxorion

View abie's profile

abie

#3 posted 05-21-2014 02:32 PM

Simple green and an old top from a ten gallon plastic can.
Cheep ,easy and simple
...

-- Bruce. a mind is like a book it is only useful when open.

View Junado's profile

Junado

#4 posted 05-21-2014 03:48 PM

I’ve used Simple Green as well. Spray the teeths, let it work 5-10 minutes then brush off (I’ve used an old toothbrush).

-- Julien

#5 posted 05-21-2014 04:37 PM

I have been using ammonia for years, it works great.

View johnLT's profile

johnLT

#6 posted 05-22-2014 04:39 AM

First I soak in Simple Green. Second, brush with tooth brush and wipe clean. Third, dry and store the blade. Forth, drive to store and get the wife a new toothbrush.

View CaptainKlutz's profile

CaptainKlutz

#7 posted 05-22-2014 06:04 AM

Like others I usually use Simple Green a plastic pail lid (2 gal is perfect, 5 gal is little large) to hold my 10” saw blades for cleaning. Have used Formula 409, ammonia window cleaner, Goo Gone Gel formula, Simple Green, and due a recent Woodcraft sale – Trend Tool Cleaner.

Have to agree with you, Trend works well and is quick about it. Unlike the others, also noticed Trend doesn’t take much liquid to get the job done. IME – The Trend was twice as fast as Simple Green, 3X faster than anything else (water based), and required very little brushing unless there was a lot of softwood sap or plywood adhesive residue.

I really like Trend for router bits. After a hardwood session on a router bit; I can usually spray, spend 30 seconds finding a paper towel, and rub the crude off – it’s gone! Simple Green has alcohol, and phosphate; both of which I don’t like to get it into router bit bearings. Simple Green will etch aluminum, and leaves surface rust on the bearing caps if not flushed with oil immediately after cleaning. I purposely didn’t oil a couple of older bearing bits after a Trend cleaning, and didn’t see any rust or the gummy residue I expected weeks later as if I used Simple Green.

All that said – Even though the Trend works faster, has less offensive odor to me; the economics of Trend on sale .vs. Simple Green at retail pricing seem about the same. Then price is everything; if I used enough Simple Green to be buying pail or drums at wholesale for other cleaning purposes, the Trend Tool cleaner at retail pricing is definitely more expensive.

YMMV

-- I'm not a woodworker, but sometimes I do occasionally find useful tools and furniture inside a pile of lumber!

View Rick M.'s profile

Rick M.

#8 posted 05-22-2014 07:43 PM

Good review. How much is it and how many ounces in a bottle?

I use HDX Citrus Degreaser, $3 for 32oz. Works very fast.

-- http://thewoodknack.blogspot.com/

View Todd's profile

Todd

#9 posted 05-23-2014 07:05 PM

John, I’m going to skip getting the wife a new toothbrush. I want to see how it works on teeth.

-- Todd, Huntsville, AL