Base is sturdy, but assembly is a pain...

Review by MattyMattAg posted 05-20-2014 05:59 PM 2188 views 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Base is sturdy, but assembly is a pain... No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Background: I bought this mobile base for my new Grizzly 1023RLW Cabinet Table Saw, which has a 20.5”x20.5” base. I had to do some slight modifications to get it to fit perfectly, which now that the saw sits on the base, it does.

Assembly: I put the base together before doing any mods because I wanted to see how many modifications I was going to have to do. I say that so the people reading this review don’t think the mods negatively affected the assembly of the base. All issues I had with assembly was prior to any mods.
1) Trying to tighten the bolts that attach the casters to the corners was an utter pain. The instructions even tell you to be “patient” because of limited space, but in all honesty, there wasn’t ANY space. I had to take the fixed wheels off the plate to attach the plate to the corner and then reattach the wheels. An added step and annoying.
2) The instructions tell you to use the 1.25” hex bolt to attach the swivel casters to the corner, but if you do, the casters are restricted from swiveling by the bolts. Luckily the bag of bolts came with some 1” bolts which did the trick.
3) The slide rails that go into the corners and thus determine the width and length of the adjustable base DO NOT fit into the corners easily. I had to use a rubber mallet to pound the rails into the corner slots, and then trying to get them back out was near impossible. I even used some lubricant, but that didn’t help. This took the most time and had the most negative affect on my assembly.

Use: The base is rated for 1300#s and the saw weighs shy of 600#s, so it actually moves around with ease. In addition, once the feet are set and the base is in its stopped position, the saw is very sturdy with very little wiggle. I will say I haven’t made any cuts yet and will update this review later. The threaded nob that lifts the base off the swivel wheels provides very little clearance on one side, so hopefully this won’t become an issue. Basically when the knob is screwed completely down, the swivel wheel on that side is only about 1/8” to 1/4” off the ground. I will update this part of the review in a few months if this proves to be an issue.

Summary: The base moves my Cabinet Table Saw around with ease and the footing is sturdy when the base is stationary. The assembly is not fun and the lift knobs are something to keep an eye on.

-- If Jesus was a carpenter, what better profession could there be?

View MattyMattAg's profile

MattyMattAg

View mantwi's profile

mantwi

#1 posted 05-20-2014 08:43 PM

I received a pre-assembled shopfox base when I bought my used Grizzly G0555X bandsaw. The thing was a real pain to move around and seemed tippy because of this. The wheels didn’t clear the frame of the unit and this was the cause of the problem. I took the saw off the stand (major pain and examined the wheel setup closely. I found that although they appear to be concentric they are actually offset just a tad and the guy who originally assembled the base ignored that. After remounting the wheels in the right orientation the stand rolls like a champ and it is very sturdy. Now if I can just get the saw back on that bad boy I’ll be mobile again.

View JD's Garage's profile

JD's Garage

#2 posted 05-21-2014 03:48 PM

I purchased the shopfox HD base for my 7.5 HP Delta Shaper I agree the side rails were a bit of a pain to adjust .. but I would rather have them on the snug side than sloppy… typically I weld up my own mobile bases but I needed this in a pinch and it works well for the money !

Joe

View woodshaver's profile

woodshaver

2791 posts in 2040 days

#3 posted 05-21-2014 10:27 PM

I got this same one for my band saw and I do agree it’s a pain to assemble but once it’s together It’s a good sturdy roll a round base.

-- Tony C St Augustine FL, My high school shop teacher said "You can do it"... Now I can't stop!

View felkadelic's profile

felkadelic

#4 posted 05-23-2014 01:47 AM

I have one of these for my band saw and one for my table saw. I assembled the band saw one first and followed the instructions exactly, including struggling to attach the fixed casters to the corner brace. For the table saw I removed the axle and caster before attaching the caster plate to the corner brace, and this was much easier!

View darthford's profile

darthford

#5 posted 05-24-2014 01:57 AM

I had the same experience with mine, had to remove the casters, went ahead and replaced them with urethane wheels. Beating the thing together with a mallet was annoying. There is clearly a market for a better designed mobile base imo. Foot operated for one that lets the machine sit on 4 pads not 2. I will say Grizzly’s built in mobile base for some of their machines, the 3 wheel foot operated design works quite well.

View IHRedRules's profile

IHRedRules

#6 posted 05-28-2014 01:58 AM

I just received my base today and assembled it. I was really worried after reading your review that it’d be a pain to assemble, however, it went together pretty easy. I found a trick for getting the bolts/nuts fastened onto the casters. I started by working on the holes on the outside since they are easy to reach. Once the bolts/nuts were on the outside holes, I stuck the bolt through from the top, put the nut/lock washer in my socket with an extension and fed it up from the bottom. I found that made things much easier than trying to turn it over and stick my hands in there and try to feed a washer/nut onto the bolt. Over all I am pleased with how the TS sits on the base and how well it moves around the shop.

View dragondncr's profile

dragondncr

#7 posted 06-06-2014 12:07 PM

I bought this base also for my grizzly table saw with the extension. Assembly wasn’t bad and it works well. My only complaint is the knobs are so small. Knobs need to be larger.

-- dragondncr