If you are a hobby woodworker check this unit out.

Review by JAY Made posted 05-16-2014 12:14 PM 3394 views 0 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
If you are a hobby woodworker check this unit out. No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This is a great planer, out of the box the unit performed very well very smooth surface and virtually no snipe. I adjusted the in feed and out feed tables now there is no snipe at all. The only slightly annoying thing is the out feed table will not fold up all the way with the dust collection port installed but I can live with that (I’m not even knocking any stars off). I was thinking about getting the Dewalt 735x but I wanted a segmented cutting head, and upgrading the Dewalt later was way out of my price range. I have had this planer for a few months and I am still very happy with it. If you are a hobby woodworker check this unit out I don’t think you will be disappointed.

View rad457's profile

rad457

#1 posted 05-16-2014 02:36 PM

Looks just like my General Int. planner, Got to get around to adjusting outfeed table as this is what appears to be giving me a little snipe on short pieces. Have to agree great machine for the price, think I got mine for $500.00 Canadian dollars.

-- Andre of Alberta. Finger Prints show your hands were on the wood.

View Dustgineer's profile

Dustgineer

#2 posted 05-16-2014 07:55 PM

I have the heavy duty version of this planer, the 40200H. I like it very much as well. I’ve discovered that I can take off about 1/16” in softer woods like poplar and aspen, but for highly figured woods I have to take off a much thinner slice, say 1/64 or even 1/128 for quilted maple . Have you had the same experience?

I plan on posting a review of mine and the mobile stand with outfeed support that I built for it, as well as the drill press table with custom dust collection that I posted a pic of in my workshop.

-- Jim, Denton, TX

#3 posted 05-16-2014 09:35 PM

Thanks for the review, it looks like a nice planer. How does the tearout on figured wood compare to a straight-knife machine?
Amana makes carbide blades for that machine, if you are ever interested in upgrading.
They are pretty inexpensive as I recall.

View Mark Davisson's profile (online now)

Mark Davisson

493 posts in 1968 days

#4 posted 05-20-2014 03:10 PM

JAY Made, what did you pay for yours?

-- I'm selfless because it feels so good!

#5 posted 05-20-2014 03:14 PM

Hey Mark after taxes I paid $531.24. Of coarse now it is about $50 cheaper.

-- We all should push ourselves to learn new skills.

View Mark Davisson's profile (online now)

Mark Davisson

493 posts in 1968 days

#6 posted 05-20-2014 03:17 PM

Thanks, JAY. My lunchbox knife planer just ain’t cutting it (no pun intended), and I’d love to have something with the helical head. I’m exactly the type of woodworker (hobbyist) you are talking to in your review.

The problem with mine is the wider stock – it really struggles. You ok with 8- and 10-inch wide stock?

And not to rub it in, but I’m seeing it on amazon for $444 with free shipping.

-- I'm selfless because it feels so good!

View Dustgineer's profile

Dustgineer

#7 posted 05-20-2014 03:23 PM

Hey Mark, check out the heavy duty version 40200H at woodwerks.com. It is $499 and no tax if you’re outside of Ohio.

-- Jim, Denton, TX

#8 posted 05-20-2014 03:24 PM

Yeah last week I ran a 12” wide glue up. I did only set it to take a small cut.

View redSLED's profile

redSLED

#9 posted 06-26-2014 01:07 AM

Thanks for posting your review, I wasn’t aware of that brand of planer. Are you able to comment on how effective or strong the sawdust exhaust port is, compared to others you’ve owned or used? Just wondering if it’s better than the Dewalt 733/734 planer – which is what I have.

-- Perfection is the difference between too much and not enough.

#10 posted 06-26-2014 01:15 AM

This is the only planner that I have owned I do have the 2 horsepower Harbor Freight dust collector which works wonderfully with this unit.