Penn State Industries 2.5HP Tempest S-Series Cyclone Dust Collector Temp1425S

Review by English posted 98 days ago 3176 views 0 times favorited 14 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Penn State Industries 2.5HP Tempest S-Series Cyclone Dust Collector  Temp1425S Penn State Industries 2.5HP Tempest S-Series Cyclone Dust Collector  Temp1425S Penn State Industries 2.5HP Tempest S-Series Cyclone Dust Collector  Temp1425S Click the pictures to enlarge them

I am a retired engineer. I have a 672 sq. ft. shop. I purchased my 2.5 hp Tempest S in Jan 2014. I built a isolated support stand out of 2” x 4” board and mounted the Tempest so that the top was at 110” about 10” from the ceiling. I installed a 6” sheet metal duct system made of 6” 26 gauge snap lock duct and 6” 26 gauge fittings. I was able to find the 26 gauge 6” duct, 90° elbows and reducers at Ferguson. I found the flue style wyes at Home Depot online. The 6” blast gates are shop made.

At start-up the Tempest was much louder than noted in the specs. The spec calls for 76 db out of the box. It was at 92 db. I first changed the discharge pipe from the blower to the filters from a metal duct to clear flexible pipe. This lowered the db reading to 86 db. I isolated the dust collector from the suction duct with a 6” section of 6” flexible duct. This lowered the db reading to 85 db. I then built a Muffler it is 38” long and 12” in diameter with a 6” inlet and outlet, it has a 1 ½” layer of acoustic foam and a 1 ½” layer of fiberglass insulation. To my surprise this only lowered the db to 81 db. My collector is installed in a corner with the motor blower unit only 10” from the ceiling. As I tested to see where the noise was coming from I decided it was from sound attenuation by the walls and ceiling in that corner, so I installed 1 ½” egg crate acoustic foam in the corner on both sides and the ceiling for 36”. This lowered the db reading to 76 db. 76 db is very tolerable, so I plan to leave it as is.

My worst case run of duct is 7” of static; the collector is pulling 1000 cfm at that SP. I have found that I can leave both 4” gates to the table saw and a 6” gate to the miter saw open and still get excellent dust pick up. I have 19 gates in my system and 200 ft total of 6” duct. The unit works great, no more big clouds of dust in the shop. I have installed a pressure gauge on my filters to let me know when they need cleaning, I also separated the filters by building a 2nd filter clean out base and installing a bullhead wye before the filters, this puts them in parallel. I installed a 6” blast gate between each filter and the wye. This allows me to close one gate at the top of one filter and open the re-circulation blast gate at the bottom of the same filter which reverses the flow through the filter and aids in the filter cleaning. I do this each day and my filter pressure readings are the same as they were when the unit was installed. The filter gates can be seen on the pictures above.

I highly recommend the 2.5 hp Tempest S. It is a great deal!!!

View djwong's profile

djwong

That is really interesting about sound attenuation by the walls and ceiling, and your noise improvements by using egg crate foam. I have an Oneida 2.5hp super gorilla, and the noise is the one thing I hate about it, in my 400sqft garage shop. Thanks for posting your experiences with the Penn.

-- David W. Cupertino, CA

Great information on this product and what you did to improve the noise level. Very nice set-up

View Rick M.'s profile

Rick M.

Good review and the sound reduction experiments are interesting.

-- |Statistics show that 100% of people bitten by a snake were close to it.|

Excellent review.
I have a 5HP Clear View, the suction is not what it should be, part of the reason being that I have an elbow right at the suction on the cyclone.
I should have a 5’ length of straight duct but I just do not have the space for it.

View sikrap's profile

sikrap

1000 posts in 1983 days

I have the same unit and I agree that it does a great job. My issue was with PSI because of parts being missing. The CS there is not great, but it is a great unit for the money.

-- Dave, Colonie, NY

View Binn's profile

Binn

I would also reccomend coating all the duct work with Quiet Coat a sound barrier that you can get from Quiet Solutions. It is a waterbased coating to deaden sound, the company coats some on a drum cymbal and it does a great job stopping the ringing from the cymbal. They suggest coating the metal to keep from vibriating. Check it out !

-- Barry, Louisiana

View mantwi's profile

mantwi

You can dampen the vibration considerably by using rubber blocks as washer/sound insulators at the points where the unit is fastened to the wall or ceiling. I worked for a company out of Nashville on a local recording studio and we isolated every potential source of vibration this way. It’s kinda like rubber motor mounts which keep the engine in a car from vibrating it to pieces. In addition to this use QuietBrace available at HD. It’s a modern version of the old Celotex sheathing and is very dense and designed for sound proofing. At under $9.00 a sheet a couple of layers would be both affordable and effective.

View bluekingfisher's profile

bluekingfisher

It would appear you have applied your professional skills to your woodworking hobby? Your system looks very efficient and will of course be beneficial to your health.

Have you incorporated a remote switching system? I did on mine although the magnetic switch on the 2HP chip collector did initially cause me some issues. I had to circumvent the coil starter in the switch and operate the switch on/off function by means of a cheap plug in remote switch operating on a 3A breaker. Works great. I have also considered rigging up an auto open/close system for my blast gates but as yet haven’t taken the time to figure out an operating plan. perhaps one day I’ll add it to my ‘to do list’.

Thanks for sharing

David

-- No one plans to fail, they just, just fail to plan

Barry,

Thanks for the comment. I have considered putting sound dampening on the cyclone, as for the duct-work the only time it produces noise is when sawdust is traveling down the duct. At those times a wood working machine is running and I am using hearing protection, so not a problem in my one man shop.

Mantwi,

Thanks for the comment. My DC is mounted on a 2×4 four legged stand that only touches the building on the concrete floor. No contact with the walls or ceiling. It rests on a 3/4” sheet of plywood that is inset into the top of the stand. The full circumference of the Cyclone rests on the plywood with 10 bolts. The egg crate foam has taken care if the sound attenuation.

David.

Thanks for your comment. I have not yet install a remote. I plan to use PSI’s 220V Long Ranger Heavy Duty Motor Starter Multigate Switch. This will start the DC from the opening of any gate. Automatic blast gates are out of my price range.

View WoodNDust's profile

WoodNDust

From what I see in the pictures, you have a very clean install. Do you have more pictures of the ductwork and machine connections?

English

WoodNDust, More pictures can be viewed here: https://englishwoodworking.shutterfly.com/pictures/9

View bugz's profile

bugz

John, great idea on filter clean-outs. I enjoyed your approach on noise control. I have the PSI gate system, for controlling my cyclone. I got my gate switches from Amizon. Check out my projects page to see more. I could also get you the part # of the switches I ordered. I have been using my setup for a couple of years with no problems. Great review.

-- Bob, Lewistown, Montana. Kindness is the Language the blind can see and deaf can hear. - Mark Twain

View rum's profile

rum

John, thanks for the excellent review!

I also like your over the blade table saw collector setup, cleverly done!

View CyberDyneSystems's profile

CyberDyneSystems

Great review and instructional article.

Your location was akin to putting it in a loudspeaker. The closer a source of sound is located to corners of a room, the louder it becomes. Particularly in the lower frequencies. That said, it is understandable that the corner will be a convenient location.

We have a very loud system in my work shop. After several years of putting up with it, I simply framed up a box around it, sheeted with gypsum and some old homosote sheets we had. With penetrations only where the pipes go in, it is VERY quiet now.