A must have glue accessory

Review by Crickett posted 05-12-2014 01:27 PM 2320 views 0 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
A must have glue accessory A must have glue accessory No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

No matter how silly it seems, perhaps one of my absolute favorite tools in my shop is one of the smallest and cheapest. I recently purchased Rocklers silicone glue kit complete with a silicone brush, silicone rake/comb, and a silicone tray. I also purchased separately the silicone dowell applicators. In my opinion, anything that increases my efficiency, reduces cost, and saves materials is something to at least consider. We all use glue on nearly every project, and most of us in the past use small brushes which need immediately cleaned after use, or we throw them away and grab a new one. Now you can easily brush out your glue and set the tray and brush aside to harden, come back the next morning and simply peel it away and get to work. I’ve used the rake/comb for several lamination applications since buying it and I prefer it a great deal over using small rollers (again for ease of cleanup and savings materials). Keep in mind this is a SILICONE applciation set and will NOT work with polyurethane glues. This is a MUST have kit and it comes with my highest level of recommendation. Sometimes the most simple things are the most gratifying.

View Crickett's profile

Crickett

View Halc's profile

Halc

#1 posted 05-12-2014 05:31 PM

I’ve had mine for a year and I agree. With some glue-ups the last thing you want to be thinking about is getting that brush, roller, etc. rinsed out before the glue hardens. That’s not an issue with this set.

View whitebeast88's profile

whitebeast88

#2 posted 05-12-2014 10:37 PM

thanks for the review.i have the single brush and really like it,but wondered how well the tray works.

-- Marty.Athens,AL

View johnstoneb's profile

johnstoneb

#3 posted 05-13-2014 03:10 AM

I purchased the same items from rockler when they were on sale. I agree with everything you’ve said they are handy and while they clean up faster when before the glue sets if yoiu don’t get to them you can definitely clean them later and not have to throw them away.

-- Bruce, Boise, ID

View adrianpglover's profile

adrianpglover

#4 posted 05-13-2014 12:07 PM

I only own the glue brush but I love it. With the work I’ve done so far, I’m not certain that the tray or comb would be as useful to me, but I’ve wondered about the dowel applicators. When I have some cash burning a hole in my pocket again (unlikely in the near future), then I’ll look at what other new inventive products they’ve come up with like this.

View Kenyon94's profile

Kenyon94

#5 posted 05-13-2014 02:22 PM

I second your review – it’s a great set. Easy, fast cleanup, and I love that the brush has the straight edge on the other end to scrape up squeeze out. On the cost-to-convenience scale, this set is off the charts.

View abie's profile

abie

#6 posted 05-13-2014 03:30 PM

Bought my basting brush at the Dollar store
Love it

-- Bruce. a mind is like a book it is only useful when open.

View Dave G's profile

Dave G

#7 posted 05-14-2014 01:15 AM

Though without a doubt it’s really cool to have a set of tools that don’t require wash up, I have to get a bucket of water and a scrubby for the glue cleanup on everything else anyway. Maybe I’m just too much of a slob :-).

-- Dave, New England - “We are made to persist. that's how we find out who we are.” ― Tobias Wolff

View Gary Scoville's profile

Gary Scoville

#8 posted 07-04-2014 12:38 AM

Crickett, why will these not work with “SILICONE”?

-- Gary Torrington, CT

View Crickett's profile

Crickett

#9 posted 07-04-2014 01:08 AM

Gary, maybe I was a bit unclear. This is a silicone kit for use with silicone glue only. This will not work with poly glues.

View LoriF's profile

LoriF

#10 posted 07-04-2014 02:04 AM

Gary, I think you misread her comment.

”Keep in mind this is a SILICONE appliciation set and will NOT work with polyurethane glues”.

-- There's a crack in everything that’s how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen