Triton Belt Sander

Review by Crickett posted 80 days ago 2317 views 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Triton Belt Sander No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I recently found myself in the middle of knocking out several end grain cutting board projects just as a nice thank you for some friends and family. While I paid attention to my glueups, perhaps I should have wiped off the excess glue squeeze out rather than letting it dry. Once I had the boards configured how I like, I attempted skip planing the tops and bottoms to level them and remove the dried glue. That didn’t work. I then ran them through my drum sander with 50 grit paper on the drum. That didn’t work. “OK, now what?” Don’t get me wrong – I did not overglue my joints – Titebond III just gets incredibly hard when dried.
As usual, I turned to reading customer review of tools when it dawned on my to try a belt sander. Having used Triton routers in the past and being astounded by their quality – it was a no-brainer to try their heavy duty belt sander. What I love about this tool, is its ability to be clamp inverted on your bench so you can use it as an edge sander, horizontal or vertical belt sander for smoothing and shaping, and its primary purpose of sanding/stripping. You can choose from 6 different speed levels and aggressiveness, and an articulating front lever gives you varrying levels of comfort and control.
Triton has designed this with user experience and ease of use in mind, and from my vantage point they certainly hit the mark. I was able to remove any excess glue and small peeks/valley in my cutting boards with a breeze. The attachable side dust collection bag is also quite and does a better than average job collection dust. As with any type of sander, it’s near impossible to gather all dust but this one excels.
Changing out the belts could not be any easier either as there’s a simple handle that’s recessed into the lower body (between the drums). When you pull it out, it releases tension on the drums by pulling them closer together. Slide a new belt on, put the handle back in to tenion the drums, and away you go!. Please contact me with any questions. I HIGHLY recommend this product!!

View Crickett's profile

Crickett

Good review , thank you.
I have a 28 years old Rioby which still work like champ

View redSLED's profile

redSLED

Thanks for the review. Compared to my dependable Makita dinosaur belt sander, that Triton’s rear handle looks REALLY LOW – did that cause you any issues with controlling the machine at different angles to your workpiece(s), or not all?

-- Perfection is the difference between too much and not enough.

View Crickett's profile

Crickett

That’s an interesting question. I’m not a particularly tall guy so the low handle was advantageous for me and gave me exllenent leverage and control. I ran it several times for extended lengths and never felt that the sander ever got away from me. Also, with this sanders ability to be clamped in an inverted mounted position, having a higher pitched handle would not allow the sander to rest flatly on the housing as intended. To me it’s a valid 5 star product.