Solid performer, but change the saw blade is a pain

Review by paxorion posted 106 days ago 2143 views 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Solid performer, but change the saw blade is a pain Solid performer, but change the saw blade is a pain No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

That’s probably all the saw you’d need – My wife

Famous last words for a saw that I quickly became annoyed with. I purchased the saw about 3 years ago during a Lowes fathers day sale. For the price, was quite the bargain. I’ve used the saw for for a much of home repair/renovation jobs, as well as many woodworking projects to break down sheet goods and solid lumber. At 13amps, it’s rated to have less power than many 15amp saws, but I doubt many would experience a noticeable difference. Overall I have no complaints, and for the price it performed like a champ, plowing through any material (with the right blade) I’ve cut. Tweaking the settings for the saw to ensure that the blade is square to the stamped steel shoe was easy enough. I didn’t play with the bevel setting much, but it’s fairly consistent with other saws in that price bracket.

The reason I docked 2 stars, is that any attempt to change the saw blade is a pain. The saw does NOT have an arbor lock, and I don’t enjoy having to man-handle the blade while undoing the bolt that locks the blade to the saw arbor. While I don’t change blades often (I kept a Freud Diablo 60T in), I eventually got lazy and started using my impact driver with a hex nut. So when the opportunity to upgrade to a 15amp with a magnetic shoe (the Porter Cable PC15TCSMK), I cashed out, and sold the saw.

Overall, for a no frills saw, this saw can fit the bill. But 2 good things came out of this episode
  1. It was a good starter saw that taught me what I should be looking for before I sold it
  2. My wife knows better than to repeat that line with me again

-- paxorion

View paxorion's profile

paxorion

View Richard's profile

Richard

1.It was a good starter saw that taught me what I should be looking for before I sold it.
That is most likely correct.

2.My wife knows better than to repeat that line with me again.
I would not be to sure about that statment. :)

View Scott Oldre's profile

Scott Oldre

374 posts in 2058 days

I’ve had 2 of these. One I gave to my son after using it for 3 years, and because of my experience with it, bought the exact same thing. For the money, its all I’ll ever need.

-- Scott, Irmo SC

View Rick M.'s profile

Rick M.

I have a PC347 that’s about 20 years old, been a great saw. The PC13 sounds like a B&D special.

-- |Statistics show that 100% of people bitten by a snake were close to it.|