|Review by ikillbugs||posted 05-08-2014 03:32 AM||2266 views||0 times favorited||7 comments|
- . Powermate 1-Gallon Pancake Air Compressor VNP0000101
- Brand: . | Category: Compressors
Recently I was heading to a big box store to pick up a Porter-Cable 6-gal air compressor but stopped into a local pawn shop first to see what they had to offer. I walked out with this cute little compressor for $25 (it is only $69 new at Home Depot or Amazon, with accessories). I figured it’ll be a nice starter compressor to run a cheap HFT brad nailer, and the price could not be beat. I could upgrade later if need be.
Since I have no immediate plans to buy a framing nailer or sprayer (or anything that would require a higher volume), I think I will just stick with this for a while. I have shot about 2500 brads so far and aired up a few tires. Yes it does need to recycle often but for brad nailing workshop projects… it does just fine. It has to recycle about every 7-10 brads, but I have never had to wait for it to “catch up”.
- It’s cheap! $69 including hose and accessories.
- It does not “walk”. Stays in place on the lower shelf of my workbench.
- It’s super lightweight and small enough to store or use anywhere.
- Works great for powering a brad / finishing nailer.
- Works great for inflating car tires or pneumatic tires around the house.
- Builds full pressure in about 2 minutes from zero.
- 100 PSI max
- No tool pressure regulator (you could always add one). There is a valve to control airflow to tool, but it’s not measured.
- Not much good for anything requiring continuous air pressure or a larger capacity. (no impact wrenches or framing nailers)
- Worthless to use for blowing sawdust out of crevices and off your workbench. You will get about 2 seconds of air before it dissipates and has to recycle… and it will not keep up.
- It’s kinda loud, but not too bad.
All in all, if you only need to do occasional brad nailing and tire inflation, this will be about the cheapest option you will find. If you have a need or foresee needing more capacity then look for something else. Personally I was wanting to get the 6-Gal Porter-Cable compressor from Home Depot they got for $119, which would be a perfect fit, but finding this for $25 (like new) at a pawn shop was too good to pass up. I’d say it’s even worth the full $69 retail.