Great starter kit for a great price!

Review by vetwoodworker posted 05-06-2014 12:57 PM 2823 views 1 time favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Great starter kit for a great price! No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I am a Hobbyist woodworker, and have been looking into wood carving for a while now. I did not want to spend large amounts of money for a carving set not knowing if I would like it enough to stick with it. Enter this kit! When it arrived (On time as promised, in double packaging!), I immediately opened it to feel the tools, and inspect the quality. I was pleasantly surprised. The handles are ergonomic and cushioned, and the steel is pretty heavy grade. Knowing that no tool comes with a great factory edge, I commenced to hone and sharpen them to razor sharp. Getting a counter-bevel on them was a little tough to start, but Once I got the technique down it worked fairly well. My fist carving project is a simple desk plaque with my name on it. I am overall very happy with the quality of the tools and especially with the price. Eventually I may upgrade to more pro quality tools, but to learn on, these are great!

View vetwoodworker's profile

vetwoodworker

View Mainiac Matt 's profile

Mainiac Matt

#1 posted 05-06-2014 03:12 PM

Funny to read some of the Amazon 1 star reviews complaining about the bevel angle, or the time it takes to sharpen them.

For ~$2 each, what do people expect?

If the steel takes a good edge and keeps it for a decent amount of time, I’d say you scored a smokin’ deal and they will do exactly what you want them to do.

-- Pine is fine, but Oak's no joke!

View vetwoodworker's profile

vetwoodworker

#2 posted 05-06-2014 03:22 PM

Matt, you are absolutely correct! Even with high end chisels it is a good idea to take the time to give a great initial edge. The steel so far is holding just fine, and I am absolutely happy with this set (for now). Like I said, I might still upgrade later on, but I’m still not sure I am a carver, so they’re fun to tinker with!

View RogerBean's profile (online now)

RogerBean

#3 posted 05-06-2014 03:27 PM

I see no reason why these shouldn’t work fine for many folks. Many writers hyperventilate over the exotic cryogenically treated tool steels, but the reality is that most people would never know the difference in performance at all, other than the purchase price. Heck, I’ve reshaped the ends of old screwdrivers and used them as small lathe tools with great results. It’s just necessary to resharpen them a bit more often. You have a good find here. Proper sharpening is much more important than all the other “stuff”. IMHO

View a1Jim's profile (online now)

#4 posted 05-06-2014 03:33 PM

Super review they seem like a very good value.

View woodmaker's profile

woodmaker

#5 posted 05-21-2014 04:25 PM

I’ve been looking for astarter set and now have them ordered, thanks for the review and the liink.
Expensive tools aren’t always better tools.

To cpmpare: I’ve played some high dollar guitars at the music stores and guess what, didn’t like them as much as the $400.00 guitar. I’m just sayin’

-- Mike

View woodmaker's profile

woodmaker

#6 posted 05-27-2014 04:13 PM

I made the purchase and they arrived, Not a bad looking set of tools, it will take sometime to get a good on edge on these as they come already very dull.
But, with some work they will be just fine. I did the initial sharpeneing on my wporsksharp 3000, but ran out of time to keep on going.

-- Mike