Nova DV 2024: Good lathe, good price point - some problems

Review by mileskimball posted 05-05-2014 05:08 PM 3201 views 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Nova DV 2024: Good lathe, good price point - some problems No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

It’s been about six months since purchase, so I thought I’d share my thoughts on the Nova DVR 2024.

Pros:
  • I’ve been able to make some really satisfying turnings with it. (That’s the main thing! See picture.)
  • The motor is an intelligent beast. The power is terrific, and the electronic control works as advertised. You can really hear it dig down for more push when you put a load on the workpiece.
  • The service is good. I had a small problem at the beginning, but they talked me through fixing it cheerfully.
  • It was a good price—a full size, powerful lathe for around $2700. There’s not much else between the Jet, Grizzly, Rikon, etc, typically below ~$1700, and the big boys—Powermatic, Robust, Oneway, Vicmark—mostly north of 4 grand (some, twice that). (I did give the Grizzly G0694 a look, and I wonder if that would have been a better choice at around the same price.)
  • The wristwatch-style remote is a terrific idea. I like being able to start or stop without reaching around a bowl.
Cons
  • The remote broke. I haven’t yet asked for a replacement, but I think the quality just isn’t good—the main button just stopped working.
  • The knobs at the ends of the tool rest post handle stripped out. I had to epoxy them.
  • The buttons on the controller are a pain to push. You have to be right on the money to get them to work. That’s especially a problem for the stop button, if anything goes awry. I’d rather have a rotary switch for speed control than the up/down buttons.
  • The spindle lock is terrible. It’s a knurled knob on top of the motor housing. You lift and rotate it until a pin fits into a cog on the motor. Trouble is that the whole thing keeps coming loose, which requires removing the housing (14 screws) and tightening it back up. There’s not much room in there, so it’s hard to tighten. And no matter how tight I get it, it always loosens up again.

All told I’d say the DVR 2024 is an innovative lathe in a good price range that needs some more development.

-- Miles

View brtech's profile

brtech

#1 posted 05-05-2014 07:49 PM

Is the thing that needs to be tightened up in the spindle lock a thread (screw, threaded rod, ...)? If so, thread-locker is your friend. Try the blue version first – easier to loosen when you need to.

#2 posted 05-05-2014 08:39 PM

Thanks—that’s on my list of things to try. But still, even when it’s tight, the knob is hard to pull out and twist. The lever-type spindle lock on most lathes is a much better solution.

View Arlin Eastman's profile

Arlin Eastman

#3 posted 05-05-2014 08:58 PM

I had the choice between getting the Nova 2024 with all the accessories or the PM 3520b

After a month of checking and going to someones house that had one I got the PM3520b

I have heard so many problems from the Nova lathes since China started making them.

Arlin

-- It is always the right time, to do the right thing.

View Mike67's profile

Mike67

96 posts in 2087 days

#4 posted 05-05-2014 10:38 PM

Good review. This one is on my list to look at someday. In the meantime I have the little brother DVR and the spindle lock mechanism sounds like it works the same way. I’ve had none of the issues you mention so maybe a call to tech service is in order. Same goes for the knobs on the tool rest handle. Hate to see you having trouble with a lathe – worrying about the thing falling apart must take some fun out of it.

#5 posted 05-06-2014 03:23 PM

Thanks, mike67. I’ve contacted customer service and will post here on what they say. And really, it’s been a great lathe – problems aside, it spins the wood.

#6 posted 05-28-2014 11:29 AM

Customer service was very helpful and responsive. I now have a new remote that works. Though installing it gave me some qualms—you have to plug the receiver circuit board into the controller board. The first time I tried the lathe wouldn’t start! Reinstalled everything though and all was well.

Their solution to the spindle lock: blue loctite.

#7 posted 05-28-2014 11:35 AM

Oh, and I just bought the bed extension with the swing-away hinge. Love it! Not as fancy as the a Robust tilting tail stock, but pretty cool nonetheless.

I see that the lathe with this accessory is one about the same as what I paid for the lathe alone. Again, a good buy!