|Review by mileskimball||posted 05-05-2014 05:08 PM||3402 views||0 times favorited||7 comments|
It’s been about six months since purchase, so I thought I’d share my thoughts on the Nova DVR 2024.Pros:
- I’ve been able to make some really satisfying turnings with it. (That’s the main thing! See picture.)
- The motor is an intelligent beast. The power is terrific, and the electronic control works as advertised. You can really hear it dig down for more push when you put a load on the workpiece.
- The service is good. I had a small problem at the beginning, but they talked me through fixing it cheerfully.
- It was a good price—a full size, powerful lathe for around $2700. There’s not much else between the Jet, Grizzly, Rikon, etc, typically below ~$1700, and the big boys—Powermatic, Robust, Oneway, Vicmark—mostly north of 4 grand (some, twice that). (I did give the Grizzly G0694 a look, and I wonder if that would have been a better choice at around the same price.)
- The wristwatch-style remote is a terrific idea. I like being able to start or stop without reaching around a bowl.
- The remote broke. I haven’t yet asked for a replacement, but I think the quality just isn’t good—the main button just stopped working.
- The knobs at the ends of the tool rest post handle stripped out. I had to epoxy them.
- The buttons on the controller are a pain to push. You have to be right on the money to get them to work. That’s especially a problem for the stop button, if anything goes awry. I’d rather have a rotary switch for speed control than the up/down buttons.
- The spindle lock is terrible. It’s a knurled knob on top of the motor housing. You lift and rotate it until a pin fits into a cog on the motor. Trouble is that the whole thing keeps coming loose, which requires removing the housing (14 screws) and tightening it back up. There’s not much room in there, so it’s hard to tighten. And no matter how tight I get it, it always loosens up again.
All told I’d say the DVR 2024 is an innovative lathe in a good price range that needs some more development.