The tool I could not do without

Review by b2rtch posted 05-03-2014 06:23 PM 2762 views 0 times favorited 30 comments Add to Favorites Watch
The tool I could not do without No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

My wife bought me this tool for my birthday probably six years ago.
I have used it for demolition and construction to cut copper pipes and wood, to sand where no other sander whould have done the job and for many other things.
This tool took me out of a bind countless time.
This is a wonderful little detail sander.
This morning I used it again to trim pieces of wood where not other tool could have done it.

If you do not already have one of this, go buy one.
Sometimes they are on sale for as low as $14.99

View Wickate's profile

Wickate

#1 posted 05-03-2014 07:36 PM

Thanks for the review! I’m always looking for something to use my coupons for at Harbor Freight and this might be up my alley. I just hope the new versions they carry are similar to the older version you use. Regardless, I’ll use it so little that I’d bet it lasts just fine for me. HF fills that niche nicely in my toolbox.

View LoriF's profile

LoriF

#2 posted 05-03-2014 07:57 PM

$14.99 with the super coupon.

-- There's a crack in everything that’s how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

#3 posted 05-03-2014 08:06 PM

I use an oscillating multi tool a lot. My advise to anyone is to spend a few dollars more, and get the variable speed model: it does make a difference.

View Pimzedd's profile

Pimzedd

#4 posted 05-03-2014 09:54 PM

Bought one two years ago while replacing sofit and facia on my house. Still going strong. Well worth the money. Can’t imagine why I would need the variable speed model. Just something else to break.

-- Bill - Mesquite, TX --- "Everything with a power cord eventually winds up in the trash.” John Sarge , timber framer and blacksmith instructor at Tillers International school

View BigFoot Products Canada's profile

BigFoot Products Canada

620 posts in 2048 days

#5 posted 05-03-2014 10:15 PM

I always wondered about the usefulness of these… For $14.99.. well I’m gonna get one.
Thanks for the review..

View Buckethead's profile

Buckethead

1921 posts in 524 days

#6 posted 05-03-2014 10:20 PM

It is much more than a sander. A jamb saw, laminate trimmer, linoleum scraper, tubing cutter… I could go on. I have a Bosch, but in theory they are the same tool. Great tool.

-- Bucket, any person that spends 10k on a bicycle is guaranteed to be a $@I almost started to like you. -bhog

#7 posted 05-03-2014 11:17 PM

Yes,this tool with the accessories does many , many things

#8 posted 05-03-2014 11:26 PM

You don’t really need the variable speed until you really need the variable speed. There are some sanding jobs — and cutting, too — where the slower speed does a better job.

112093 posts in 2233 days

#9 posted 05-03-2014 11:27 PM

Good review Bert
They are a great type of tool ,I have the original Fein and it does many operations other tools can’t. I think you might be a little off as to how long you’ve had yours The Fein’s muti tool’s patent ran out towards the end of 2009,no one made them except Fein up to that point.

#10 posted 05-04-2014 01:33 AM

Jim,I have been married for the second time for close to 9 years, my wife bought me this toll soon after (may one or two years)we were married to remold our house.
So I think that 6 years in the ballpark.
As far as I know HF was the first copy cat on the market, but I could be wrong

#11 posted 05-04-2014 01:38 AM

I think the first copy-cat was the Rockwell Sonicrafter (which I have: great tool). I can’t be certain of that, but it seem like the Sonicrafter was the go-to multi-tool for those like me who couldn’t afford the Fein.

112093 posts in 2233 days

#12 posted 05-04-2014 01:40 AM

I’ve been wrong before Bert,but I thought Harbor freight was last to come out with them after Bosch and Porter cable.

#13 posted 05-04-2014 03:15 AM

Jim,I think that HF was first but I do not know for sure

#14 posted 05-04-2014 03:21 AM

Just in case you need blades and accessories for it:

View runswithscissors's profile

runswithscissors

#15 posted 05-05-2014 05:10 AM

Grizzly’s blades for these are half the cost (or less) compared to anybody else’s blades (including HF). They have a “Japanese style” blade (coarse teeth, supposedly for hardwoods) that is very impressive. Cuts fast, and stays sharp. They are universal blades, able to fit many brands.