GO513X2F just arrived

Review by bowedcurly posted 113 days ago 2729 views 0 times favorited 20 comments Add to Favorites Watch
GO513X2F just arrived GO513X2F just arrived GO513X2F just arrived Click the pictures to enlarge them

Im currently in the process of assembling my 513 I had a Rikon 10-345 but sold it. From my observations so far the Grizzly has

bigger bearings say by 2x

better welds more even beads where as the Rikon has runny balled up welds

smoother height adjustment

blade disengage much smoother Rikon was kinda hard to engage

bigger better looking motor

better lookin cast iron top

also has a magnetic switch, Rikon does not have this
I learned that the hard way after plugging in the saw and it took off running scared the crap outta me

this is just a few of my observations I really liked the Rikon but the Grizzly is just built better
as I finish the setup and saw a few logs I will write more of my observations
don’t get me wrong the Rikon was a great saw but I wanted the Grizzly
but it was on backorder for 75 days so I went with the Rikon
but I sold the Rikon and now have the 513×2f
I posted a pic of my 10-345 as I don’t have a 513 pic yet
5/3/2014
after examining the upper castiron wheel yesterday I found a crack
so I will be using some spotcheck to see how deep it is and will have to give Grizzly a call Monday
boy I really hope it’s just a minor surface crack
finished wiring with 12/3 little overkill but motor won’t starve
going to spotcheck wheel in the morning
will clean off castiron top also tommorow put on coat of shellac followed by wax will have a rust free top for years
5/4
went ahead yesterday and rewired all of my machines with full cords so I don’t have to use the small 8’ ext cord I was using, I run one machine at a time on a 25 amp brk
going outside to put on the castiron top and maybe do some sawing
put 4 coats of shellac on sanded between then waxed should take care of rust a few years anyway
if you buy one of these you will have to add washers when mounting the castiron top bolts are a little long
I have a pic of the surface crack on the upper wheel have not used spot check yet maybe tommorow

5/5
put on a blade and sawed a couple popular 2×4’s this saw is very quiet even with a 3/4 TW
will be using a 1” BM TW end of week wil see if it’s still quiet. I’m very impressed
with how smooth this saw is love it
oh that’s my blind cat Kooo Kooo he is Cooo Cooo his eyes got infected when he was a baby but
he acts just like he can see sometimes
looks good to me so on with the show
have a nice day and make some dust

well I cut some hardrock maple 10” thick with TW 3/4 and the saw cut it like butter no vibration no loud ringing noise like the Rikon I had, very quiet and cuts great.

I just love how smooth this saw runs, still have to get some dust collection prolly goin to buy the HF mini dust collector and hook it up, and see how it does

this saw is very smooth and quiet my old Rikon sounded like a cornpicker when trying to saw anything

I highly recomend this saw to anyone wanting to move up in size

and if you want to get rid of rust use shellac spray on 4 coats sand between coats then wax and you will be rust free for a long period of time this is a one time deal for at least 3 years

I have done this to all my cast iron and have no rust issues period

bowedcurly

I got the same saw around Christ-mas.
I love it but I wish I ordered the brake.
I added a light.
Not to be mean but you should not have put the stars before you actually used it for while.

I spelt stairs wong or is that sters no it’s starsssss with 5 esses

View gfadvm's profile

gfadvm

Curly, I have that same saw and it has never disappointed. Enjoy.

Get some decent blades (Timberwolf work well for me) and you’ll be a happy camper.

-- " I'll try to be nicer, if you'll try to be smarter" gfadvm

bowedcurly

I bought 3 Timberwolf blades 1/4 3/8 3/4 also going to buy a 3/4 woodslicer really want to try the
woodslicer out, alot of peeps swear by them

-- Staining killed the wood<<<<<>>>>>Dyeing gave it life

The Woodslicer has been a big disappointment for me ,it cuts very well for a very short period of time.
I have one dull out in just a few hundred feet.
I now have switch to bi-metal until i buy a carbide blade.

View gfadvm's profile

gfadvm

Curly, I use the T Wolf bimetal blades for resawing. They are not cheap but are supposed to last up to 10 x longer than carbon blades.

-- " I'll try to be nicer, if you'll try to be smarter" gfadvm

bowedcurly

gonna order the TW bimetal today thanks guys I should pay more attn.

View darthford's profile

darthford

Congrats on your new bandsaw! I’m breaking out the dial indicators today and getting down to the business of reducing vibration on my G0514X2B, first up a link belt.

Congrats, they are great machines

-- Norman

View eddie's profile

eddie

got the same saw its great ,great service dept too ,have other Grizzly tools so far haven’t been disappointed give em a call they’ll get it right

-- Jesus Is Alright with me

View Todd Swartwood's profile

Todd Swartwood

I’ve had the 513X2 for about 5 years, and as with other Grizzly equipment you can’t beat it… I started buying from Grizzly back in the late 70’ to early 80’. I can not say enough good things about Grizzly. Yea sometimes you may have to file a rough casting edge, but for those of us that do not have unlimited money to spend you can set a shop up for about 1/4 of what it would cost for the big names. Personally I believe you get more innovative equipment from a company like Grizzly. And if you live in Canada the owner of Grizzly’s brother owns Busy Bee. That is why Craftex looks so much like Grizzly.

Anyway my 513X2 is dedicated to re-sawing I am on my second carbide tooth blade and the combination of saw and great blade is awesome. I am guessing the carbide blade will out last other steel blades by at least 20-1. The first one I bought was a 1” wide as that is what Grizzly says is the max width. I now use a 1 1/4” wide blade and you really eliminate drift. I could go on and on about Grizzly Quality but I will stop now. Anyone close to me that would like to see any Grizzly equipment that I own is welcome to stop and look.

-- Todd Swartwood (Todd Swart-Woodworks)

View WoodGuyScott's profile

WoodGuyScott

I own this very saw, in the same configuration, and I can’t say anything but wonderful things about it. I was tempted by the 513 anniversary edition last year, but instead went with the cast iron wheels and the better and more adjustable fence. I love it, though the break would be nice. Wiring it for 110 was easy enough too, and it runs great on a 20 amp circuit.

The 3/5 wood slicer is a great blade, too. I’m still on my first one, and it still cuts like butter. They’re not too expensive, so I don’t think I’ll cry after I decide to switch it out.

-- --Shafe

Todd,
I believe that drift has little to do with the blade width but mostly with proper adjustments
I use a 1/2” blade and I have no drift either.

View WoodNDust's profile

WoodNDust

What’s up with the shellac? Anyone else do this too? I’ve used the Johnson’s paste wax but have not used shellac first. Thanks in advance for some insight.

View WoodNDust's profile

WoodNDust

Very cool new “toy” by the way. I want one of them now.