Not for use with new K-body clamps, but sturdy and well built

Review by GoBlu posted 04-23-2014 12:51 AM 4707 views 0 times favorited 28 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Not for use with new K-body clamps, but sturdy and well built No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Note: Based on the quality of the build of this product and comments from another user, John Ormsby, who does use them, I’m giving this product four stars, up from the original two. (John would give them five). But I wanted to warn anyone who might buy them unknowingly that they do not work with the new Kbody clamps. (Kbody Revo). Even if you have the new Kbody Revo Vario parallel clamps, this has nothing to do with the VarioPivot clamps. I’m deleting the original post for clarity. Thanks to all for the helpful information that helped me sort out what was going on and why they can’t be attached to the new clamps. The bottom line here is that they are up to Bessey’s standards but do not buy them unless you have the old style, open-backed clamps. You can see their successful use in John’s helpful pictures.

View JBro's profile

JBro

#1 posted 04-23-2014 01:57 AM

#2 posted 04-23-2014 03:13 AM

Thanks, JBro, I appreciate your help. I did see that, but it does not show how the mechanism hooks up with the parallel clamp. There are three stock pictures from the company that show something similar. And the mechanism is hidden in each one.

View dgage's profile

dgage

#3 posted 04-23-2014 06:29 AM

I’ll give it a shot.

OK. Looking at your picture, the VarioPivot on the left looks like it has a spot at the top for the clamp bar to fit into the VarioPivot. Since that clamp bar spot doesn’t appear on both sides of the VarioPivot, it looks like that can only be used in one orientation.

Now, looking at the other part with the knob on the back, does that metal/plastic piece open as it looks like it has a hinge? That looks like it opens up and clips over the red clamping pad and then holds it down once you tighten the VarioPivot. And since it has a knob, at least that piece can be oriented in either direction.

Does that help any?

View Jorge G.'s profile

Jorge G.

#4 posted 04-23-2014 06:41 AM

I think dgage has it right. The clamp does not hold the bar, it only secures the clip to the table. There must be a way to secure the bar to the clip

-- To surrender a dream leaves life as it is — and not as it could be.

View RogerBean's profile

RogerBean

#5 posted 04-23-2014 08:40 AM

I’d call Bessy and ask them. There may be instructions that didn’t get in the package, or perhaps they could just explain over the phone. When in doubt, my usual approach is to go to the source.

View Craftsman on the lake's profile

Craftsman on the lake

#6 posted 04-23-2014 10:41 AM

I looked at the picture that kbro sent us too and forgive my ignorance here but can’t you just use regular clamps to clamp the parallel clamp to the bench?

#7 posted 04-23-2014 12:36 PM

Thanks for all the input! Dgage, the clamps are the same, one is the inside view the other is the outside view with the adjusting knob on the variopivot fixture. There is a groove in the c-clamp to slide the variopivot fixture to the top or down, so what looks like the top is just one of the positions possible. The problem is that that fixture does not seem the right shape/size to hold the bar of the parallel clamp.

I plan to call Bessey, RogerBean. Perhaps the instructions were missing. I’m hoping that will clear it up. Calling the company is always a mixed bag, finding the time to call during business hours, etc. I do fault a company that makes a product and then does not make instructions/manuals readily available on their website. Bessey makes a good product but the backup for the product seems missing.

Craftsman, the point of these clamps is that you can adjust the parallel clamp at different angles easily using the variopivot fixture, so not the same as regular clamps which might work in come cases.

The concept is quite nice and the clamps are heavy duty and appear well made. It’s just that they are confusing. I was just going to give up, but if calling Bessey gives a solution, I’ll be willing to try again. I bought them some time ago and set them aside because it wasn’t apparent how to make them work, so I moved on to doing projects. But now I’m doing something where they would come in handy. If I get them to work, I’ll post pictures of the details and closeups which may be helpful to others.

#8 posted 04-23-2014 01:05 PM

I’m assuming you’re using K Body clamps with this although it does say that it works with pipe clamps also.

-- Nick, “Discovering the truth about ourselves is a lifetime's work, but it's worth the effort.” ― Fred Rogers, Be My Neighbor

#9 posted 04-23-2014 01:07 PM

The metal clip goes inside the backend piece of the K body clamp and the other rests inside the other pivot point, you can clearly see it in the picture.

View dgage's profile

dgage

#10 posted 04-23-2014 02:30 PM

Nice addition UpstateNYdude. Thanks.

#11 posted 04-23-2014 03:24 PM

Not a problem :)

#12 posted 04-23-2014 07:39 PM

Upstate NYdude, that was just the ticket. You can see that these work with the old style KBody’s only. I have the new KBody Revo. On the box it says will work with all K body clamps, but that’s because when they were made they worked with all the Kbody clamps then. I called Bessey today and they confirmed it. They no longer make them, though I did find them in one of their catalogs. These variopivots are still for sale on Amazon and I’ve seen them in other places, including my local bricks and mortar tool shop. Maybe this review will help those who might consider buying them and warn them to not do so unless they have the old style Kbody clamps.

I’ll probably try them sometime with pipe clamps, though I needed the parallel clamps for the current project. I think their use with the pipe clamps would be more limited. If I ever see an old style kbody parallel clamp for sale, I may get a couple and try them with the variopivot, too. I have a friend who I think has this style, so it’s likely he’d trade for one of the new ones.

In checking this all out, I did see that there is a vario sliding clamp jaw that will attach to a (new style) Kbody. It looks like it might be useful, so I’m going to get one and try it out. http://www.amazon.com/Bessey-KR-VO-Replacement-Variable-Clamp/dp/B002YIHM48/ref=sr_1_24?ie=UTF8&qid=1398281497&sr=8-24&keywords=vario+k-body

This way I could clamp my kbody revo to the workbench and sill have a clamping capacity with two sliding jaws. Not quite as flexible as those variopivots looked but worth a try.

Thanks for all the help. This is a great forum.

View John Ormsby's profile

John Ormsby

#13 posted 04-26-2014 12:33 AM

Here are some photos of how they attach to the k body Bessey clamps. They do work great for holding pieces

-- Oldworld, Fair Oaks, Ca

View jimintx's profile

jimintx

#14 posted 04-26-2014 04:16 PM

Upstate posted this link

There I read discussion of these working or not with an MFT. Can anyone break that acronym code and tell me what “MFT” stands for?

I also realize now that I don’t know about old style K-body versus new style K-body clamps. If its easy for someone to post a comparison picture, it would be helpful to me. I don’t know what i have.
(I need to shop more, i suppose!)

#15 posted 04-26-2014 11:51 PM

Hopefully when you figure out how to use them you will change your rating. Hate to see a perfectly good tool downgraded because someone doesn’t know how to use it. What made you buy them in the first place ?