Dust Deputy / Oneida Air Systems Inc.

Review by OakHill posted 04-21-2014 04:20 PM 4129 views 4 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Dust Deputy / Oneida Air Systems Inc. No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

The kit comes with the plastic cyclone, two buckets, lid, hardware and hoses. The cone is made of thick polypropylene plastic with the hose connections tapered so that hoses easily fit.

The dust deputy has far exceeded my expectations from when I first read about it. The $99.00 investment was well worth it. I have a central vacuum system hooked up to most of my stationary tools and this system on its roll around cart is very versatile, hooking it up to other tools and for general shop cleanup.

Works great. Without it the vacuum filter would clog with dust, you could hear and notice the reduction in suction. I was constantly cleaning the vacuum filter. Oneida’s claim that “it will remove 99% of dust before it finds its way to the shop vacuum.…” is absolutely true. The vacuum’s performance never suffers and I save a lot of time not having to clean the vacuum filter.

Unless you plan on using the Dust Deputy as a dedicated machine vacuum, it is more convenient to use with both the Dust Deputy and the vacuum on a cart so you can roll it around the shop to where ever it is needed. Otherwise it becomes a nuisance to move hoses, buckets and the vacuum. Also definitely anchor the bottom bucket to a base, then you can easily remove the inner bucket to dump the dust. (The kit for attaching the dust deputy bucket to the vacuum itself did not work too well for my application.)

The physical connection between the cone and the bucket lid is flimsy, with the weight of the hoses tending to bend the lid. To reinforced it, I made a wooden support ring from

1×8 pine. See photo in attached Lumberjocks.com link.

The tapered hose flange on the cyclone allows the hose to easily slip off. That can be easily remedied by using a couple of self tapping sheet metal screws.

I accidently dropped the cyclone and lid assembly resulting in the cyclone top (or cap) with the hose attachment breaking loose. I reattached the lid with Loctite’s Super Glue, Ultra Gel Control. The cyclone is made of a plastic material that looks like Polypropylene. The Loctite Super Glue I used is a Cyanoacrylate and (as I found out afterwards) is not recommended for Polypropylene material. So far it is holding. I have since called Oneida and they recommended Loctite “Plastics Bonding System” for the repair.

I have been using the dust deputy with a Ridgid vacuum for about a year. The vacuum filter has never clogged up to the point of noticing a reduction in vacuum power. I take the vacuum filter outside and air blow it off about once every 3-4 months just as a habit, not that there is any buildup that affects vacuum performance.
To see the cart and how I modified the hose setup, check out the link below at Lumberjocks.com

Custom Built Cart as seen at Lumberjocks.com: http://lumberjocks.com/projects/99133

Ridgid Vacuum Model: http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-6-Gal-Wet-Dry-Vac-WD0670/202198493

Ridgid Hose Kit: http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-Universal-Wet-Dry-Vacuum-Hose-VT2570/100375877

Loctite Plastics Bonding System: http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/sg_plstc/overview/Loctite-Plastics-Bonding-System.htm

-- John, Illinois, http://OakHillWoodCreations.com

View OakHill's profile

OakHill

View GregD's profile

GregD

#1 posted 04-21-2014 07:30 PM

I dislike those tapered connections. Standard 2-1/2 connectors work much better for me. I would probably be happier with mine if I just cut off the tapered connectors and glued on some real fittings.

-- Greg D.

View CooperDBM's profile

CooperDBM

#2 posted 04-22-2014 02:14 AM

I put a wide elastic band on the taper so that the hose seats onto that. It gives a better seal and holds the hose fairly well.

I’m also happy with this cyclone.

Dave

-- Dave, Ottawa, ON

View NiteWalker's profile

NiteWalker

#3 posted 04-22-2014 07:45 AM

Thanks for the review. I have the rockler vortex, but will be upgrading to the dust deputy soon and will be building one of those carts too. :-)

-- He who dies with the most tools... dies with the emptiest wallet.

View steve_in_ohio's profile

steve_in_ohio

#4 posted 04-22-2014 12:41 PM

I have this same system hooked to my shop-vac and I love it. No more cleaning out filters. I have emptied mine about a dozen times now and the only thing in the shop-vac is a few specs of dust. This is a wonderful system

-- steve, simple and effective woodworking---

View lndfilwiz's profile

lndfilwiz

#5 posted 04-23-2014 12:27 AM

When I purchased the Dust Deputy i opted for the 10 gallon container system. I couldn’t believe how much saw dust and fine dust it kept out of my Shop Vac. I have a small work shop and have set the shop vac and the Dust Deputy on a cart with swivel wheels. It works great. I very please with the operation and quality of the device.

-- Smile, it makes people wander what you are up to.

View MrFid's profile

MrFid

#6 posted 04-28-2014 03:24 PM

I have a nearly identical setup to yours (same shop vac, too!), and it has worked beautifully. To other potential buyers out there be sure you reinforce the cyclone/top of bucket connection with some kind of ring. I used 3/4 MDF and it is holding up well over a year later. Haven’t had to clean or change my filter yet. I bought the HEPA filter for my shop vac to help with micro dust particles.

-- Bailey F - Eastern Mass.

View Lazyman's profile

Lazyman

#7 posted 08-22-2014 02:06 AM

I’ve found that the cyclone shape is unnecessary. As an experiment, I built dust a separator out of a home depot bucket with an inverted smaller bucket from the Home Depot paint department on top and I have the same experience described in this review. It cost me less than $10. The only time that I have to clean or empty the shop vac is when I forget to empty the dust collector and it gets too full. Sometimes a little very fine dust winds up in the filter but this only happens over several months and several bucket loads. I simply cut a Thien baffle in the HD bucket lid and used bungee cords to hold the inverted small bucket down to the HD Bucket. I cut a hole in the center of the bottom (inverted to the top) of the small bucket to insert the hose to the (Craftsman) shop vac and a small rectangular hole on the side to insert the shop vac crevice tool as the inlet. The crevice tool entered at an angle so that the air/dust coming in spirals around and down the small bucket. I later found a slightly larger and heavier duty bucket at a garage sale for $1 and replaced the paint bucket. I added a 45 Degree angle PVC fitting for the inlet. I also cut a new Thien baffle out of some old scrap plywood. Frankly, I am not sure that the baffle is necessary but I have not experimented without it. I also used some old PVC that I salvaged from other projects to run from separator to vac. I’ve probably spent about $25 on non-scrap parts (hose clamps and other PVC parts). The whole thing sits on top of my vac so it moves as a unit. It ain’t pretty but works great.

-- --Hire the lazy man. He may not do as much work but that's because he will find a better way.

View Lazyman's profile

Lazyman

#8 posted 11-14-2014 09:48 PM

Someone sent an personal message asking me for pictures of the Thien baffle so I thought that I would just post to this thread. I am amazed how well this works. Here is How I have it sitting on top of my craftsman vac:
Here is a view of the underside of the black bucket showing the baffle:

Finally a view of he dust inside the orange bucket and also pics showing how only the finer dust makes it into the vac itself. I think that I have emptied the orange bucket about 2 or 3 times since the last time that I blew off the smartstream filter in the vac: