Dust Deputy / Oneida Air Systems Inc.

Review by OakHill posted 98 days ago 3416 views 3 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Dust Deputy / Oneida Air Systems Inc. No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

The kit comes with the plastic cyclone, two buckets, lid, hardware and hoses. The cone is made of thick polypropylene plastic with the hose connections tapered so that hoses easily fit.

The dust deputy has far exceeded my expectations from when I first read about it. The $99.00 investment was well worth it. I have a central vacuum system hooked up to most of my stationary tools and this system on its roll around cart is very versatile, hooking it up to other tools and for general shop cleanup.

Works great. Without it the vacuum filter would clog with dust, you could hear and notice the reduction in suction. I was constantly cleaning the vacuum filter. Oneida’s claim that “it will remove 99% of dust before it finds its way to the shop vacuum.…” is absolutely true. The vacuum’s performance never suffers and I save a lot of time not having to clean the vacuum filter.

Unless you plan on using the Dust Deputy as a dedicated machine vacuum, it is more convenient to use with both the Dust Deputy and the vacuum on a cart so you can roll it around the shop to where ever it is needed. Otherwise it becomes a nuisance to move hoses, buckets and the vacuum. Also definitely anchor the bottom bucket to a base, then you can easily remove the inner bucket to dump the dust. (The kit for attaching the dust deputy bucket to the vacuum itself did not work too well for my application.)

The physical connection between the cone and the bucket lid is flimsy, with the weight of the hoses tending to bend the lid. To reinforced it, I made a wooden support ring from

1×8 pine. See photo in attached Lumberjocks.com link.

The tapered hose flange on the cyclone allows the hose to easily slip off. That can be easily remedied by using a couple of self tapping sheet metal screws.

I accidently dropped the cyclone and lid assembly resulting in the cyclone top (or cap) with the hose attachment breaking loose. I reattached the lid with Loctite’s Super Glue, Ultra Gel Control. The cyclone is made of a plastic material that looks like Polypropylene. The Loctite Super Glue I used is a Cyanoacrylate and (as I found out afterwards) is not recommended for Polypropylene material. So far it is holding. I have since called Oneida and they recommended Loctite “Plastics Bonding System” for the repair.

I have been using the dust deputy with a Ridgid vacuum for about a year. The vacuum filter has never clogged up to the point of noticing a reduction in vacuum power. I take the vacuum filter outside and air blow it off about once every 3-4 months just as a habit, not that there is any buildup that affects vacuum performance.
To see the cart and how I modified the hose setup, check out the link below at Lumberjocks.com

Custom Built Cart as seen at Lumberjocks.com: http://lumberjocks.com/projects/99133

Ridgid Vacuum Model: http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-6-Gal-Wet-Dry-Vac-WD0670/202198493

Ridgid Hose Kit: http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-Universal-Wet-Dry-Vacuum-Hose-VT2570/100375877

Loctite Plastics Bonding System: http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/sg_plstc/overview/Loctite-Plastics-Bonding-System.htm

-- John, Illinois, http://OakHillWoodCreations.com

View OakHill's profile

OakHill

View GregD's profile

GregD

I dislike those tapered connections. Standard 2-1/2 connectors work much better for me. I would probably be happier with mine if I just cut off the tapered connectors and glued on some real fittings.

-- Greg D.

View CooperDBM's profile

CooperDBM

I put a wide elastic band on the taper so that the hose seats onto that. It gives a better seal and holds the hose fairly well.

I’m also happy with this cyclone.

Dave

-- Dave, Ottawa, ON

View NiteWalker's profile

NiteWalker

Thanks for the review. I have the rockler vortex, but will be upgrading to the dust deputy soon and will be building one of those carts too. :-)

-- He who dies with the most tools... dies with the emptiest wallet.

View steve_in_ohio's profile

steve_in_ohio

I have this same system hooked to my shop-vac and I love it. No more cleaning out filters. I have emptied mine about a dozen times now and the only thing in the shop-vac is a few specs of dust. This is a wonderful system

-- steve, simple and effective woodworking---

View lndfilwiz's profile

lndfilwiz

When I purchased the Dust Deputy i opted for the 10 gallon container system. I couldn’t believe how much saw dust and fine dust it kept out of my Shop Vac. I have a small work shop and have set the shop vac and the Dust Deputy on a cart with swivel wheels. It works great. I very please with the operation and quality of the device.

-- Smile, it makes people wander what you are up to.

View MrFid's profile

MrFid

I have a nearly identical setup to yours (same shop vac, too!), and it has worked beautifully. To other potential buyers out there be sure you reinforce the cyclone/top of bucket connection with some kind of ring. I used 3/4 MDF and it is holding up well over a year later. Haven’t had to clean or change my filter yet. I bought the HEPA filter for my shop vac to help with micro dust particles.

-- Bailey F - Eastern Mass.