Quality tool

Review by TechTeacher04 posted 04-18-2014 09:22 PM 2494 views 0 times favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Quality tool No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I had contacted rhett after seeing a post about evaluating hand planes. Rhett sent me a care package to share with my students. I run a woodworking club for my 7th and 8th grade students. I recieved a completed plane with test shavings, a plane glued up, a kit ready to be glued and some blades and plane body blanks. I want to publically thank Rhett for his generosity and support of my students wodworking journey. The assembled plane worked perfectly after i adjusted the plane after is journey through the USPS. Some of the shavings are visible in photo. In practice, 7th and 8th graders took to the plane well, however in my setting a metal plane is easier to adjust for the novice level of my students. The stronger students however were able to get good results from the Nice Plane. I recieved an Ash bodied plane to test, I know Rhett is now using Rock Maple and from the pictures on his site look incedible. The Nice Planes also have incredible blades. I am not sure what the hardness is, but based on the time to sharpen the edge was extremely keen and lasted quite a long time as compared to other planes that I have used.

View TechTeacher04's profile

TechTeacher04

View bobasaurus's profile

bobasaurus

1375 posts in 1901 days

#1 posted 04-18-2014 10:17 PM

Rhett makes some fine plane blades, I used one in a wood plane last year. I might have to order some more :) .

-- Allen, Colorado

View rhett's profile

rhett

#2 posted 04-22-2014 10:44 AM

Thanks for the review. Hope your students enjoy the planes and blades. You have the last ash wood plane and kit to leave my shop.

-- It's only wood.