Cool little shop accessory

Review by Whiskers posted 04-16-2014 07:32 AM 3885 views 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Cool little shop accessory No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Well, I didn’t get flamed on my first review and yesterday I went to the HD to pick up a order and also picked up some rare earth magnets for this puppy. Than it occurred to me maybe some of you might like this as well. I bought it just under a year ago and I find it to be handy as heck. Don’t be fooled by it’s boast of being extra large, it is really quite small. Any smaller and it would be near useless, but it perfect for holding a couple pencils and pens, a 6” combination square, tape measures, or any number of small items. I bought the rare earth magnets to imbed into my wooden stands because I can’t attach my little basket to wood since it is magnetic, but it does work well with the metal tools. It so nice to just move from station to station and all those little nuisance items in one go.

Here is the link: I got a minor singe on my first review for not supplying one. Sorry, live and learn.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000UZ64U/ref=wmsohsproduct?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Amazon basket

The magnets on this are not that powerful, I decided quickly not to use it for it’s intended purpose. I wanted to be able to keep my remote for my garage TV/DVD setup in it, but it is easily knocked off whatever you stick it to, and it not a good idea to have delicate items like remotes or electronic stuff hitting concrete, but like i said, for small stuff that not likely to break it great. It not like it will fall off for no reason.

I realize this is not exactly a woodworking tool, but I use it every day in my shop so hopefully that is flexible. It’s always less than $10, currently $8.05, can’t hardly go wrong that cheap.

View Whiskers's profile

Whiskers

View CharlesA's profile

CharlesA

#1 posted 04-16-2014 02:35 PM

check your link. I get an error. I’m not sure what your reviewing.

#2 posted 04-16-2014 03:51 PM

Here is the correct link:

View Rick M.'s profile

Rick M.

#3 posted 04-16-2014 04:25 PM

The Amazon description is terrible. I think this is a little metal basket for holding pens and pencils. Guessing the magnet is for holding it to a file cabinet or drill press or whatever.

-- |Statistics show that 100% of people bitten by a snake were close to it.|

View CharlesA's profile

CharlesA

#4 posted 04-16-2014 05:07 PM

I can see how it would be handy, especially if my workbench was magnetic.

View Whiskers's profile

Whiskers

#5 posted 04-16-2014 05:31 PM

Sorry about the link, don’t know why it didn’t post right. And Charles, my workbench is magnetic, but a lot of things I have are not. That why I was buying magnets. Plan to imbed them into my wooden stations so the basket will stick.

View Greg..the Cajun  Box Sculptor's profile

Greg..the Cajun Box Sculptor

5034 posts in 1946 days

#6 posted 04-16-2014 06:04 PM

I made 4 trays to go along the sides of my worktable that are extremely useful. They are made with 1/2” plywood and the bottoms are a heavy wire mesh that allows any sawdust to fall through. Each one is 24”x 6”x 4” and is fastened to the sides of the workbench with screws. I really like them because they keep all the small tools, pencils, erasers, rulers, tape measures and numerous other items off the work table top but conveniently located.

These were very simple to make and only took about 30 minutes to make all four. I had some 1/2 ply scraps and only needed to purchase the wire mesh bottoms (Home Depot).
This was one of those ”shoulda done it sooner” projects…and it sure keeps the clutter off of the worktable

View NiteWalker's profile

NiteWalker

#7 posted 04-16-2014 09:17 PM

Thanks for the review. I’m grabbing a few to go on my metal file cabinet next to the workbench. I could see them coming in handy. :-)

-- He who dies with the most tools... dies with the emptiest wallet.