Good Safety Glasses

Review by Whiskers posted 105 days ago 3199 views 1 time favorited 15 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Good Safety Glasses No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Okay guys, not sure on protocol here, but I searched on here on the subject before I bought these and didn’t really find any useful info. There was a post from someone who bought some expensive motorized safety glasses made for paintball users, but that was a bit more than I wanted to go for. Anyway, I got these today, and played with them a bit, and than posted this review on Amazon, so I’m re-posting it here for anyone that wants to make comment, or find if they are looking for the same info I was last week. It is my review though, I hope quoting a amazon review is not politically incorrect and fatal.

I got these today and played with them a bit. They were not exactly what I was hoping for, but for the money it not a bad purchase and they definitely are a welcome addition to my shop.

First off, a few negatives.

On first trying them on the strap was way too tight, so i loosened it to a manageable level which let the heavy plastic shield flex to it’s natural shape. I’m a average size Caucasian guy and these appear to be designed for people with slightly larger heads or flatter faces. There is a very slight gap where they fit along the bottom over my cheeks and where they meet my nose. For my purposes, and because of other things I am about to get into this is not a really large issue, they will still work fine for me. I also suspect that in time the straps will pull and conform the faceplate into shape where they will fit better. However, if I were a petite gal, these things wouldn’t ever work at right all, to get them to fit decently around the eyes you’d have to tighten the straps up real tight, and that would give you a headache in short order. Dewalt really should consider making these in sizes.

Next negative, or positive depending on your viewpoint, is the ventilation “feature”. They have a series of holes along the top and bottom of the glasses just behind the heavy plastic shield to prevent them from fogging. They seem to work. I wore them in my shop for many minutes and saw no fogging, but it was a nice cool night. Now in a 120 degree attic during august I’m sure they will fog, but you have to consider the environment. This is the main reason I bought these, cause the cheapo safety glasses I have fog up in about 2 minutes even in winter. Across the top the shield covers the holes from anything that could drop into your eyes, but the ventilation holes are fairly substantial. Here you have to consider your purposes, If your drilling a hole overhead in wood, or operating most machinery/tools there should be no problem, but if your working in a dusty environment where you want to protect from airborne dust and contaminants these will not work worth a damn. Frankly, I would not buy these period if the purpose is for working in attics.

Glasses, I used to wear my glasses all the time, but over time my eyes have changed and for close work I see better without mine. Many say these work fine with their glasses, but I checked and they will not work with my glasses. I do wear larger glasses than most people though, the fashion trend went a few years ago to tiny granny glasses, but I refused to comply with fashion. YMMV on using these with glasses.

The positives are simple.

They are fairly comfortable, if a bit loose,
The shield is substantial.
They are inexpensive at in my case about $10 shipped.

Overall, if you need something like this I say buy it. Great for carpenters using nail guns, never know where those little bits of plastic from nail drivers go. Should be good for woodworkers as well, if you have fine dust problems in your wood shop that affects your eyes, well, doesn’t matter, you will be dead in a couple months anyway due to lung problems. I noticed that there are dark shields for welders, well I’m not a welder so will reserve judgement, but should be fine.

I would not recommend these for dusty or liquid environments. If your spraying chemicals, or working in attics or other hazardous areas, find another product. I also will not recommend these for the average female.

Whiskers

Never seen this product before. Where did you locate these

-- Norman

View oldretiredjim's profile

oldretiredjim

Thanks for the review and discussion of glasses. Always an issue for me.

Whiskers

Norm, I got them on Amazon, That why I was posting a review there.

View Mario's profile

Mario

I bought a pair of these on Amazon about two years ago. It took me some time to get the “proper fit”. Once I did they work great. I use these for woodworking, metalworking, painting even gardening. These are great for the price but if you sweat a lot you will experience fogging issues.
The ventilation holes meant to prevent fogging can work against you if you are doing something that creates a lot of dust. Some of that airborne dust gets into the vents. I fixed this issue with a piece of electrical tape.
The lens gets scratched ridiculously easy, even wiping the lens can get it scratched if you are not careful. The lens on mine are heavily scratched, but to be fair to DeWalt I am at times clumsy. They are still my favourite. I plan to replace it in the near future with another.

Pros: 1. Excellent price (around $10) 2. Wide lens 3. Anti fogging works well if you do not sweat a lot 4. Comfortable headband 5. Excellent for people with larger heads

Cons: 1. Fogs easily if you sweat a lot 2. Lens scratches easily 3. Adjusting the goggles to fit properly so dust or airborne contaminants can’t get in is based on trial and error.

-- Mario, Trinidad, http://lumberjocks.com/bigfingers12

View Dabcan's profile

Dabcan

I have a lot of trouble with dust in my eyes, so I have bought many versions of these (but not dewalt). I have come to the conclusion that they all fog, no matter the price point, but some are more comfortable than others.

-- http://www.craftcollective.wordpress.com

View Vertigo's profile

Vertigo

I have the same pair and love them. I use them all the time.

-- Greg - Ferdinand and Son Construction: Do it right the first time. Like us on Facebook

111999 posts in 2176 days

Thanks for your review this is a product I was unaware of.
My first thought was are they ANSI Z87 approved and according to the questions section on Amazon were the products listed they are. It’s also helpful to furnish a link to a product when doing a review.

For anyone not familiar with ANSI Z87

View whope's profile

whope

As someone who plays paintball, the only way to get a no fog lens is to have a dual-layer lens (which will also fog in extreme conditions). Anti-fog spay works to some extent. And when snorkeling, I’ve been told (and done) to spit in my mask and rub it around. Not something I would want to do in the shop.

-- Measure it with a micrometer, mark it with chalk, cut it with an axe.

View jimintx's profile

jimintx

I bought a pair from Amazon after reading this review, and the first few comments. I like them a lot, but i do not find they are really comfortable over my prescription glasses.

I can make it work, but i have to insert the glasses into the goggle, and then put the combination on my face, and then mess around to get the lenses of the glasses lined up for my eyes. The result is a tight feel around the covers of my eyes. But – they will work and they seem really nice.

Whiskers

Jim, I actually tried the exact same thing but for me it wasn’t just a matter of comfort, it pushed the glasses away from my face which changed the focusing and made it unusable. That why I put my caveats on wearing glasses cause other reviewers had said how they loved that it fit fine on their glasses. Just pointing out this was a YMMV variable.

View jimintx's profile

jimintx

Whiskers, I didn’t mean to imply or suggest that your write up was anything but totally accurate. I just wanted to add my personal experience.

View Surfside's profile

Surfside

This is definitely useful , good addition to my accessories in the shop.

View Philip "Pip" Storm's profile

Philip "Pip" Storm

The only time I have an issue with fogging is when I wear a dust mask (steam from my breath exiting around the edges of the dust mask). Do you know if these goggles help in preventing fog on the exterior of the lens? Thanks for the reveiw BTW.

-- Well, I'll be screwed, glued, and tattooed!

View gamygeezer's profile

gamygeezer

I ordered a set of these, and they fit my head fine, I guess that means I’m narrow minded. I can get them over my glasses and see OK, and even get my dust mask (http://www.amazon.com/3M-Series-Facepiece-Respirator-Medium/dp/B000FTEDMM/ref=sr_1_7?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1397861156&sr=1-7&keywords=dust+mask) and ear muffs on.

Scares the dogs, though.

If I take any one off, they all come off together. Except the beard, of course.

-- What's a vibrant young guy like me doing in a broken down old body like this?

Whiskers

Phillip, I haven’t tried these yet in combination with my dust mask. Personally I don’t have a problem with the outside of my safety glasses fogging, most of my leakage is from the bottom of my dust mask due to my beard, hence the nick Whiskers. However, as I mentioned, in high dust situations, these goggles are weak due to the anti fog feature. The eyes need protection from dust as well as the lungs, and the vent holes can and will let dust in. Soon I will have to do a bunch more overhead sheetrock sanding and I expect these glasses to be not very useful for that, I will probably go back to the lousy foggy cheap things.

I have been doing a lot of work lately using nail drivers and other power tools, and these are great for this. Where before fogging and comfort would drive me to go unprotected I find myself leaving the goggles on which I think is a big improvement. That is where I believe these goggles really shine. The day to day stuff that so many of us do that we should be wearing eye protection but usually do not.

Now it is more trouble to take the glasses off at times than it worth, which means they are still on a couple minutes later when I get into something that is questionable whether they really needed or not, rather than they getting tossed right away til I deem them necessary.