Stanley FatMax 17-202 14-Inch Back Saw

Review by Joe Lyddon posted 04-12-2014 01:37 AM 3337 views 0 times favorited 19 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Stanley FatMax 17-202 14-Inch Back Saw No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Fat Max Fine Finish Back Saw 17-202 14” 13 tpi / 14 pts

Another great handsaw!

A disposable saw as with the other saw I recently reviewed…

It cuts everything like BUTTER!

I love it…

I’m sure you will like it if you try it.

It’s less than $10 too!

View Jim Bertelson's profile

Jim Bertelson

#1 posted 04-12-2014 01:57 AM

I like the Fat Max stuff. It is a cut above the cheapo items, works well, and fits the budget. If I can find one here in La Conner, I will buy one the next trip. I just picked up a bunch of their screwdrivers. I had some cheapo stuff from when we first came, when I had to get a lot of stuff, and didn’t have time or money to pick. Needed money for the furniture and so forth.

On the way home to Anchorage tomorrow, have spent a couple of weeks here in northern Washington. Spring really happened while we were here. When we go to Anchorage, there will be snow on the ground, but it is going to suddenly turn hot with the long days and short nights, and winter will turn into summer….....no spring in Alaska.

-- Jim, Anchorage Alaska

#2 posted 04-12-2014 03:34 AM

Hi Jim!

Thanks for dropping in!

I’m sold on those Fat Max saws… I had no idea they would be SO GOOD!

I got mine from Amazon… got with FREE shipping along with a New Computer… tnx to XP getting the axe!

Hope you had a nice time in La Conner again this time… Sounds like Anchorage is going to be pleasant too… Yeah, it’s either Summer or Winter… but, aren’t winters longer than the summers? What is a HOT day in summer, 72*? LOL

Have a nice trip back home to Anchorage… Don’t know if Amazon ships to Anchorage or not… I know they do to Washington.

Good to see you again!

View Rick M.'s profile

Rick M.

#3 posted 04-12-2014 03:36 AM

No spring, just break up, dirty cars, the smell of decay; then fishing. I lived in AK for 8 years Jim.

Joe, you’ve about talked me into trying one of these Fat Max saws.

-- |Statistics show that 100% of people bitten by a snake were close to it.|

View doubleDD's profile

doubleDD

#4 posted 04-12-2014 04:28 AM

Joe , I owned one of these for a while now. It is a great saw for its category. And I may add that I will be visiting Alaska in August.

-- --Dave, Downers Grove, Il. When you run out of ideas, start building your dreams

View lepelerin's profile

lepelerin

#5 posted 04-12-2014 03:25 PM

I do have this one and I am really surprised how sharp it is. I got 2 fat max saws for $3 at a closing store.

#6 posted 04-12-2014 09:00 PM

Question:

Do you people, that are using these Fat Max saws, save the Blade protector and hang it up with the saw IN the cardboard protector?

I was about to throw mine away… and just thought… it might be useful in protecting those sharp teeth!

View CFrye's profile

CFrye

#7 posted 04-13-2014 12:20 AM

Definitely keep my 15” FatMax in the cardboard sleeve, Joe. It lives in the back of the Explorer. Thinking about some kind of tool box to go back there. I think about a lot of projects! Thanks for another saw review.

-- God bless, Candy

View Bob Current 's profile (online now)

Bob Current

#8 posted 04-13-2014 01:02 AM

I just received shipment on the backsaw yesterday and only had a chance to see how heavy it is.
This is my first one of their backsaws but I own other models of that series.
After reading these posts I see I belong to a much larger fan club. Throw away, I’ve not tossed one yet.

-- When you are wrong admit it, when you are right forget it.

#9 posted 04-13-2014 06:12 AM

Bob Current

... if it ever gets dull, are you going to have it sharpened? LOL :)

IMHO, it will last a very long time, with normal use, before it gets dull and needs to be replaced…
... I’m sure, if it could be sharpened, it would cost a lot more than $10.00! Yes? LOL

#10 posted 04-13-2014 06:15 AM

Very good! I am keeping BOTH of FatMax saws IN their protective envelope hanging on wall.

Thank you for the feedback!

I just LOVE the way they feel in your hand… making it very easy to control while making the cuts!

View lumberjoe's profile

lumberjoe

#11 posted 04-13-2014 10:26 PM

These cannot be sharpened. But you are right. I would start buying these now before the word really gets out!

It’s a Japanese style blade with a western handle and a stiff back. The reason it cannot be sharpened (like a Japanese saw) has less to do with the pattern and more to do with manufacturing. China figured out how to make induction hardening really cheap to do in mass production. Induction hardened teeth will last a LOT longer than HSS, but cannot be sharpened.

10$ is worth it for me to leave the extra slim double taper file in the drawer and head over to Amazon instead.

-- www.etsy.com/shop/KandJWoodCrafts

View simmo's profile

simmo

#12 posted 04-14-2014 05:27 AM

Had one of these for ages and agree with all said, while you are ordering /buying get the fine cut hand saw,they have the same no of teeth and whistle thru hardwood panels that are to wide for the t/s etc, I use mine all the time and now have a stock of them while they are cheap, narrow kerf and razor sharp, very fast,
HTH
Chris

View kdc68's profile

kdc68

1997 posts in 973 days

#13 posted 04-15-2014 12:37 AM

Thanks for the review Joe…I may have to get myself one

-- Measure "at least" twice and cut once

#14 posted 04-15-2014 01:18 AM

kdc68

Hey, you are very welcome!

If these saws ever get dull, one just might be able to make Scrapers out of the blades… (?)
... or maybe a Marking knife…(
?)

View joshaaa's profile

joshaaa

#15 posted 04-15-2014 05:32 PM

Why can’t these saws be sharpened? I know they are induction hardened but can’t you use a diamond paste and maybe an old file just for the shape? Or even some of those DMT Diamond sheets wrapped around an old file to take it’s shape? I know it would probably be slower going than a traditional file, but if you only have to do it once in a blue moon wouldn’t it be worth it? The only reason I wouldn’t get one of these saws is because I hate the idea that I’d have to throw out all that metal just because the blade gets dull…