Industraial Abrasives. Where Customer Service is Fantastic

Review by ScottKaye posted 04-11-2014 03:03 PM 2886 views 4 times favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Industraial Abrasives.  Where  Customer Service is Fantastic No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

How is this for customer service? I needed some new wraps for my drum sander and I remember a buddy of mine recommended Industrial Abrasives. I went to their site and checked them out. Their prices were certainly very good but it was their customer service that really bounced them to the top of the pack, at least for me. They sell 3” aluminum oxide poly/cotton backed paper in 35’ rolls and 52 yard rolls. It would take me several years to go through 52 yards so I opted for the 35’ roll. I have a Supermax 19-38 that requires a 108.75” strip of paper to wrap the drum. I did the calculations and I could get 3 wraps out of the 35’. I noticed that Id have a lot of paper left over if I stuck with the 35’ so I called them up and spoke with a friendly woman and explained my needs. I asked her if it was a problem to order a custom size, she said it wasn’t so I ordered a roll of 3” x 37’ of 80 and 120 grit (enough for 4 wraps) The additional cost was negligible at a buck and some change per roll. Here is the amazing part. I placed my order on Tuesday and figured I wouldn’t get the shipment until next week at the earliest because I placed a custom order. It showed up on my door step on Thursday. Now that is service!

-- "Nothing happens until you build it"

View ScottKaye's profile

ScottKaye

#1 posted 04-11-2014 03:47 PM

I buy all my sand paper here an love them. Congrats on this as well. They are great and the 5 inch disc’s last the longest on endgrain cutting boards that I have found. I get my drum-sander paper from them like you as well.
Here is my review on them as well http://lumberjocks.com/reviews/1525

Enjoy!

View TheDane's profile

TheDane

#2 posted 04-11-2014 11:52 PM

I have to agree … their customer service is top drawer.

View Canadian Woodworks's profile

Canadian Woodworks

#3 posted 04-12-2014 12:14 AM

I also get my paper there for my drum sander, festool sanders and sheets

-- Paul Lemiski, Ontario Canada, Custom Wooden Rocking chairs and tables http://www.canadianwoodworks.com

View Rick M.'s profile

View oldnovice's profile

oldnovice

3759 posts in 2020 days

#5 posted 04-12-2014 07:01 AM

Smooth customer service at a sandpaper supplier … kind of an oxymoron!

I will have to check them out.

-- "I never met a board I didn't like!"

View hjt's profile

hjt

#6 posted 04-12-2014 05:14 PM

Gotta like that. customer service is important.

-- Harold

View kdc68's profile

kdc68

1979 posts in 929 days

#7 posted 04-13-2014 11:07 PM

Thanks for the review Scott…I will check it out when in need of paper…

-- Measure "at least" twice and cut once

View ScottKaye's profile

ScottKaye

#8 posted 04-14-2014 12:55 AM

Just a quick review of the 80 grit and 120 grit paper. They were both a hair narrower than what came stock on the Supermax 19-38. As in maybe 1/32” of an inch if that. Even though the strips were slightly narrow, I had no problems wrapping it around the Supermax’s drum and the last wrap had no problem attaching to the other end of the drum. Everything is tight as it should be. The Supermax originally came with 80 grit pre-loaded on the drum. The 80 grit I purchased from industrial abrasives is way coarser than the Supermax stock paper. If I were comparing apples to apples I’d estimate the 80 grit from Industrial Abrasive to be along the lines of a 60 grit from Supermax. Having such a coarse grit is actually a benefit to me as I can be slightly more aggresive with stock removal than I could with the stock Supermax paper. The 120 grit to me felt and looked about right. It is such a pleasure to be able to bring a piece of highly figured wood like tiger maple (had no luck with my planer/jointer) down to size quickly then do a final drum sanding with the 120 grit. It takes less than 5 mins to change the paper on a Supermax so really there is no excuse not to move up in the grits. Almost forgot. Even though I orderd 37’ of paper for each grit they actually cut the roll at around 40’ which is a good thing because I screwed up the first 16” of the first roll by cutting the diagonal backwards! Doh!

Scott

-- "Nothing happens until you build it"

View CharlesNeil's profile

CharlesNeil

#9 posted 04-14-2014 03:05 PM

I have used Industrial Abrasives for ever for all my abrasives, they are super folks.

As to the drum sanding rolls being a bit narrower,. thats a good thing , if you can leave a slight gap between the paper it allows for better dust collection, and prevents it from accidently over laping and causing a burn as easily , Having used a drum sander for 25 years, it has always proven to work the best with a slight gap.

View TheDane's profile

TheDane

#10 posted 04-14-2014 03:43 PM

By the way … I learned of Industrial Abrasives thanks to Charles Neil. Good advice!

View TheOldTimer's profile

TheOldTimer

#11 posted 04-14-2014 07:11 PM

Great products and great customer service, been using them for years.

-- TheOldTimer,Chandler Arizona