A safe (I hope) extension for quick above-table bit changes.

Review by ADHDan posted 04-11-2014 02:35 PM 2705 views 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
A safe (I hope) extension for quick above-table bit changes. No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have a Bosch router table and I hate changing bits. I had to purchase a third-party offset wrench for my 1617, and even still it’s a PITA to pop the throat plate out, wedge a spindle lock wrench under the table, and get the offset wrench on the collet to loosen. It sucked.

So I was pretty stoked when I got the Router Technologies Xtreme Xtension last Christmas. I don’t know if I would classify a specialized router table accessory as “Xtreme,” but it works – really, really well. Here are the key features:

First, it does exactly what it says it should do: allows for fast and easy above-table router changes, with a single tool. It can be a little tricky to get the allen wrench into the hex head sometimes, but other than that it’s a piece of cake. And it doesn’t take much torque to lock the bit in nice and snug.

Second, it’s sturdy and well-balanced. I was a little nervous about run-out and off-center bits causing chattering, vibrations, and injury but so far it’s been about as smooth as the OEM collet. I mean, I’m not going to spin panel-raising or box-jointing bits in this thing, but for rabbets, dadoes, roundovers, and other standard joinery and profile bits it’s just fine.

Third, it (ostensibly) works with half-inch and quarter-inch router bits. I haven’t used it for quarter-inch bits yet but it’s nice to have that option.

Really, the only annoyance I had was that the extension requires installation of a spacer between the router and the table to account for the height of the extension, but I figure that would be inherent to just about any quick-change accessory that slips in the collet. So I didn’t knock off a point for it.

-- Dan in Minneapolis, woodworking since 11/11.

View ADHDan's profile

ADHDan

View Don Johnson's profile

Don Johnson

#1 posted 04-11-2014 07:08 PM

I’ve been very pleased with mine.

-- Don, Somerset UK, http://www.donjohnson24.co.uk

View steph33's profile

steph33

#2 posted 04-14-2014 07:17 PM

Mine has worked perfectly too with my Makita 3612C mounted in my General cast iron table. I had to slip a half inch of Baltic birch between the plate and router base so the bits didn’t sit too high but all my profiles are smooth and chatter free and the router spins flawlessly at top 24000 rpm speed. Changing out bits in half and 1/4 ” shank sizes (with the included reducing collar) is quick and simple above the table and the bits are held securely with a quick twist of a T-handle allen key. A great system. No balancing was required, at least for me. It is pricey, in fact as much as I paid for my router on Kijiji, but well worth the investment for a quality machining job.

View DeLayne Peck's profile

DeLayne Peck

#3 posted 04-17-2014 07:40 AM

No problems with mine. Sure beats pulling a big Dewalt router out of the table and fussing with a wrench.

-- DJ Peck, Lincoln Nebraska. I think of my shop as Fritter City. I am the Mayor.