A Pleasant Surprise

Review by Purrmaster posted 115 days ago 2549 views 0 times favorited 14 comments Add to Favorites Watch
A Pleasant Surprise No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This review for the coarse grade of sanding sponges. They are sold in packs of ten at Harbor Freight. I was over there and needed to sand some curved pieces so I picked some up. I also got some Norton 60 grit sponges elsewhere so I was able to do a direct comparison. I’ve also used 3M’s sponges in the past.

Harbor Freight doesn’t specify the grit but I’d say it’s between 60 and 80 grit.

I wasn’t expecting much from these sponges. I’ve used Harbor Freight’s sandpaper and sanding discs before and those products are terrible.

As the title says, I was pleasantly surprised. They are on par with the 3M and Norton sponges. They cut just as quickly and last a surprisingly long time. And since they are $6 for 10 sponges you can afford to toss them when they wear out.

I read a previous review on Lumberjocks for Harbor Freight’s sanding sponges and I haven’t run into the problems the other reviewer did. The sponges haven’t shed grit nor have they fallen apart. Perhaps Harbor Freight improved them recently.

I haven’t used Harbor Freight’s medium or fine sponges, so I can’t speak to their utility.

If I need a bunch of sanding sponges again I’ll pick up some more of these.

View Jerry's profile

Jerry

Nice! Thank you for this review.

-- I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my telephone. My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my telephone.

View Handtooler's profile

Handtooler

THANKS! I’ve purchased and am using the medium with satisfing success on irregular surfaces. And, yes the seem to last rather long.

-- Russell Pitner Hixson, TN 37343 bassboy40@msn.com

View paxorion's profile

paxorion

I was the one who wrote the last review, and my sanding sponges have only served 2 purposes:
  1. sanding down spackle for any drywall repairs (medium and fine grit)
  2. wet sanding to remove dried glue on my putty knives (coarse and medium grit)

Glad to hear that you have a better experience than I did. The coarse grit sanding blocks was the biggest offender in terms of shedding grit. Maybe this particular product warrant another $3.50 risk look? I do plan on using the coarse grit block when I get to sanding down my deck railings this spring to re-seal them.

-- paxorion

112002 posts in 2182 days

Thanks for the review,another HF find worth have there are a few items that HF has that are good values.

View Gene Howe's profile

Gene Howe

5418 posts in 2034 days

I’ve had the same experience a paxorion. I ordered mine from their flyer several years ago. Hope your experience is indicative of an improved quality.
I’ll sure give them another shot, now.

View MrRon's profile

MrRon

I bought some coarse sanding sponges from HF to remove rust from my saw top and was not happy with them. I think it was because they were too coarse. I think I should have used the fine ones and will get some next time I get there for my free flashlight.

View woodcox's profile

woodcox

I have used all of these and had decent results and longevity for what they are. One peeve is the grits are not labeled which makes it difficult to identify them. I think I will take a sharpie to them when I open the next pack.

-- "My god has more wood than your god" ... G. Carlin.

I used these sponges in the past as other grit, they are OK

View ChuckC's profile

ChuckC

Their spindle sanding sleeves are good too. I’ve been using a set for a few years now.

View helluvawreck's profile

helluvawreck

Thanks for the tip.

helluvawreck aka Charles

View Rick M.'s profile

Rick M.

I’ve had a couple of the coarse for several years, mostly I use them for knocking off splinters or wrap real sandpaper around them as a sanding block. They worked okay when new, only minor issues shedding grit but they do crack and start to fall apart if used aggressively. The grit appears to be the same emery used on their cloth back sandpaper which is utter garbage.

-- |Statistics show that 100% of people bitten by a snake were close to it.|

Purrmaster

Maybe the quality control on these is hit and miss and I got a good batch.

Something I should have specified: I used these on quartersawn sycamore. I haven’t tested them on other woods yet. I will do so today and update the review if they fail. I have oak and maple I can test them on.

Purrmaster

Just tried them on maple and oak. They didn’t shed grit, at least no more than any other sanding sponge I’ve used has. Perhaps I got lucky with this run.

View Whiskers's profile

Whiskers

Hmm, I got a few sanding sponges from Somebody, I think supergrit.com, but haven’t used them yet so can’t comment. They were on sale though and looked like they were worth giving a shot. The ones I bought were made for drywall. If I need more I’ll give the HF ones a try, hadn’t thought about them for these things. Just wish the HF was closer to me, it a long painful drive. I shouldn’t need anymore though, cause I don’t have that many inside corners to sand.