Upgrade for Stanley Knob and Tote

Review by JohnChung posted 04-06-2014 11:02 AM 2730 views 1 time favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Upgrade for Stanley Knob and Tote Upgrade for Stanley Knob and Tote Upgrade for Stanley Knob and Tote Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought a Stanley handplane #4 made in Sheffield. Over the year I have upgraded the chip breaker to LV and my latest addition is the knob and tote. The service provided by Greg is simply excellent. I had to provide
some feedback like the type of make it was including snapshot of the mounting screws the handplane was using.

After the tote and knob was made, Greg sent me a photo of the set installed on a handplane. It really helps visualizing the upgrade. He took the time to choose the right grain for the tote and knob.

Included are the new knob and tote from Greg. The old set was made of plastic. I would say it does provide
better grip to the handle. Greg has applied hard carnauba wax for easy maintenance.

In short excellent!!

View RogerBean's profile

RogerBean

#1 posted 04-06-2014 04:10 PM

John,
I fully agree. Ugly tools may work fine, but they’re not nearly as satisfying to use. A woodworker who honors his tools is well on the way to becoming a craftsman. Just my opinion.

View poopiekat's profile

poopiekat

#2 posted 04-06-2014 04:58 PM

Found the address: http://www.drozsoldetymestanleytotesandknobs.com/

Yeah, After spending most of my free time in a two-week period making one single tote….yes, I’d buy pre-made, pre-finished totes, for sure!!

View Mainiac Matt 's profile

Mainiac Matt

#3 posted 04-07-2014 03:39 PM

very nice!

-- Pine is fine, but Oak's no joke!

#4 posted 04-08-2014 12:17 AM

Great addition, congrats

-- Norman

#5 posted 09-12-2014 01:18 AM

I have large hands and don’t like the standard Stanley tote angle. I couldn’t find one of the replacement tote places that would make truly custom totes, and I wasn’t sure just what I wanted. Yes, It took significant time, but I now have a dozen custom fit totes and knobs on all my Stanley and LV planes. If you have a band saw and table mounted router, It doesn’t take long using some templates I made up. The most time is spent on final shaping and sanding to get them just right. It’s been worth every minute, though, now I can comfortable work any of my planes for hours. Making your own is worth the time.

#6 posted 09-12-2014 06:26 AM

@OSU55 can you share your template for stanley and veritas?

#7 posted 09-13-2014 04:03 PM

I;m working on it.

#8 posted 09-13-2014 05:36 PM

LeeValley shares the files using pdf.:

Jpeg would do fine too…....

#9 posted 09-14-2014 01:31 AM

I have added my custom designs to my blog: http://lumberjocks.com/OSU55/blog/42497

These started as the LV drawings.