Rudd Lacquer Sprays Well, Nice Satin Finish

Review by pintodeluxe posted 04-01-2014 05:51 PM 2591 views 5 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Rudd Lacquer Sprays Well,  Nice Satin Finish Rudd Lacquer Sprays Well,  Nice Satin Finish Rudd Lacquer Sprays Well,  Nice Satin Finish Click the pictures to enlarge them

My local paint store quit carrying Valspar Pre-cat lacquer. Their replacement product is Rudd Duracat-V 550 voc pre-cat lacquer. It is billed as a vinyl, non-yellowing lacquer. I had the chance to use it on a recent project, and it compares favorably with Valspar, Sherwin Williams, and Magnalac. This lacquer is milky white in the can, compared to the yellow color of lacquers I have used in the past. I used the satin sheen, which looked like a hand rubbed finish after one coat. I sanded with a 320 grit soft foam sponge, cleaned with a cheese cloth and proceeded to spray the next coat. The second coat is a familiar satin finish. There was no tendency to become too glossy. After the second coat I wet sanded with a 1500 grit soft sponge and it came out great.

I spray with a gravity feed gun at 35 psi (at the gun) and thin the lacquer 20% with lacquer thinner.

Drying time was 15 minutes, and I recoated about an hour later. I will be using Duracat in the future. Great product.

View Hammerthumb's profile

Hammerthumb

#1 posted 04-01-2014 06:01 PM

Sound almost like a waterbased urethane. What does it smell like?

-- Paul, Las Vegas

#2 posted 04-01-2014 06:05 PM

Nope, it is thinned with standard lacquer thinner. Not water based. Still smells like lacquer, although somewhat less intense than other brands I have used.

View Hammerthumb's profile

Hammerthumb

#3 posted 04-01-2014 06:09 PM

The milky white color is why I made the comment. If it smells like lacquer, and thins with lacquer thinner, I’m sure its lacquer. I’ll have to give it a try.

-- Paul, Las Vegas

View goggy's profile

goggy

#4 posted 04-01-2014 06:18 PM

Beautiful hand rubbed appearance, right on point! What’s beneath the lacquer?

View Handtooler's profile

Handtooler

#5 posted 04-01-2014 06:52 PM

Marvelous, favorited the review. Furniture really looks SUPER!

-- Russell Pitner Hixson, TN 37343 bassboy40@msn.com

View Jerry's profile

Jerry

#6 posted 04-01-2014 10:42 PM

Great information Willie, thanks a bunch.

-- I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my telephone. My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my telephone.

#7 posted 04-02-2014 04:30 AM

Goggy,
It is oil based stain under the lacquer. I use Rodda #19 stain thinned with a splash of mineral spirits.

#8 posted 04-02-2014 01:09 PM

Interesting review and great looking Morris Chair to boot.