Great Shed

Review by Zuki posted 2218 days ago 4581 views 0 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Great Shed Great Shed Great Shed Click the pictures to enlarge them

I know what you are thinking, why is a woodworker building a plastic shed. Three reasons: (1) to build one of the same size would be more expensive and (2) the marketing information says it takes 3 hours to install and (3) 5 year warranty.

We have been needing a shed for a while and were eying these at Canadian Tire. When they finally went on sale we went for it. You definitely need either a trailer or pickup to bring this home. I tried to fit it in the back of my SUV but it was too big.

Everything was neatly packaged.

The foundation I build from (compressed) sand and 24” concrete patio blocks about a week before I started assembling the unit. With a 6’ shed I was guessing a 6’ foundation . . . nope . . . it was about 4 inches narrower and about 6” longer. No biggie . . . I just put more sand under the rear of the shed and compressed it.

The next three pictures I had completed in 30 minutes. Yes it does go up quickly.

This is what it looks like completed.

And from the inside you can see the shelf (behind that handsome devil) and to his left you can see a window and above his head (incorporated into the ridge) a skylight.

From laying the black pad for the shed to installing the shelves took me about 2.5 hours. About 1/4 of this time was walking back and forth to the shop to get the pieces. Everything fit together as explained. There were only two occasions where there was some flashing in the screw holes that needed trimming. There was one extra of each type of screw and washer . . . a little weird as I was expecting to be short or to have just enough.

There are two parts that require two people: (1) the window – there is no way around not having two people and (2) the roof. The first panel I needed DW to help so that I could slide it in the slots. The second piece . . . well when I was falling off the ladder and catching myself in the trees, DW had it all in place by using a twig she had found on the ground. The roof does have metal rods to reinforce against snow load, however I will be adding some extra reinforcement.

I am quite happy thus far and I will give an update on how it fairs in our harsh Canadian climate.

View mot's profile

mot

My neighbor has this shed. He initially put it on unlevel ground and had a hell of a time with it. You have a great start. His has stood up to a couple of Alberta winters but it’s hard to say what will happen out in the +:30 timezone. Nice review.

-- You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation. (Plato)

View Russel's profile

Russel

It’s definitely better looking than the steel one I put up last year to get the Mrs. garden stuff out of my shop. And it really looks quite cozy there amongst the trees.

-- Working at Woodworking http://www.VillageLaneFurniture.com

View steveosshop's profile

steveosshop

Thats a pretty neat little shed. It looks pretty sturdy. That looked a ton easier than the little metal shed I got from Sears about 2years ago. I almost went insane trying to get that put up.

-- Steve-o

View gator9t9's profile

gator9t9

Hey nice shed …...so how many kids and all can you lock up in there??? and glad to see we are not cutting down any trees to waste on sheds…...After all we have petroleum sheds and it has a 5 yr warranty ….lol….just kidding of course…. I like yer shed ..I wish i had one and it was 1965 again…
thanks for sharing …

-- Mike in Bonney Lake " If you are real real real good your whole life, You 'll be buried in a curly maple coffin when you die."

View Kipster's profile

Kipster

I could use one of those in my yard. Thanks for sharing.

-- Kip Northern Illinois ( If you don't know where your goin any road will take you there) George Harrison

Zuki

Its been almost 2 1/2 years with the shed and it has been doing its duty of storing stuff. This week DW told me that there was quite a bit of snow on the roof. In previous years I kept on top of clearing the snow off . . . but this year I forgot.

As you can see from the pictures there is some serious snow on top. 15 minutes and I had it cleared. there was no damage what so ever. The roof is still intact and not bowed or cracked.

I give this another star.

View tlp's profile

tlp

i cannot find this shed anywhere online or stores. does anyone know if is has been discontinued? it would be perfect for what i am looking for.

Zuki

You appear to be correct TLP. I just checked Canadian Tire and Home Depot and neither carry it any more. That being said both have similar versions that I’m guessing would be similar.

Although no such snow loads this year, we still had a couple of buildups and the shed is still going strong with no breaks in the roof or sagging.

View GerryT's profile

GerryT

My wife just got one on sale at Canadian Tire here in Winnipeg for $300.00 .I Like>>>>