Excellent product and Price

Review by DrDirt posted 03-30-2014 05:27 AM 3620 views 3 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Excellent product and Price Excellent product and Price Excellent product and Price Click the pictures to enlarge them

I ordered these Shapton Professional Stones from ‘Tools from Japan’

I just went with the 1000 (orange) and the 8000 melon stone, as I have both a leather strop and a felt wheel for the final stropping past 8000.

Stuart’s prices from Japan were much lower than what is available stateside.
My order:
————————————————————————————————————-
The stones on Amazon

Shapton 1000 Grit (Orange) Professional Series Waterstone Price: $62.95

Shapton 8000 Grit (Melon) Professional Series Waterstone Price: $122.39

THe Dozuki (the Gyochuko 372 that David Barron uses is only available at Hida tool) cost $57.90

———————————————-
So even though shipping was a bit more expensive – I saved 80 dollars on the two stones, and 20 on the Dozuki.

The base/stone holder is pretty basic, but I liked that it held the stone along the long edges. The rubber is (by texture and smell – - tire rubber. But it holds the stone well and doesn’t slide.

As for the review!

I place the stone in a baking pan (which is not endearing to SWMBO – for her 13X9X2 cake pan. I will have to make a walmart purchase to keep the peace – but I had to try it out.

I sharpened my bevel up smoothing plane and block planes (25 degree bevel) using these stones and a Veritas first edition guide.
For the chisels, I have the Lie Nielson socket chisels, so clamping them in the Mk 1 is more challenging because of the bevel to the body of the chisel blade…. not issu with the flat plane blades.

I sharpened the chisels at 35degrees, and added a 2 degree microbevel to both chisels and plane blades.

I was thrilled, at how I just needed to get the stones wet, and not soak them, and how rapidly they removed material.
Before this I used the scary sharp sandpaper method, then went to my felt wheel with flexcut yellow compound on it.

Now the 8000 grit was sharp, but not quite enough to shave with. But a few passes on the leather strop and I was trimming follicles, like the Barber of Seville.

The shapton stones are terrific. I cannot say they are better than King, or some of the other names, as I was using sandpaper and glass before. Assuming you are not in a big hurry, I definitely recommend Tools from Japan. It takes several weeks vs 3 day free amazon shipping, but he is plugged into the source.

Notice, you do not get instructions in English… But I can live with that, there are enough Youtube videos on care and feeding of sharpening stones.

-- "If we did all the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astonish ourselves." Edison

View bobasaurus's profile

bobasaurus

1455 posts in 1936 days

#1 posted 03-30-2014 03:57 PM

I have several Shapton stones and love them. I’ve been curious if the Japanese ones are equivalent to the English-labeled ones… I once read that their composition was different, but this was from a website selling the more expensive English-labeled stones, so who knows. I’ve been eyeing the 30000 Shapton pro stone for a long time, just not sure if I’m ready to spend $300-$500 for one. I like your idea of stroping after. Do you always use the flexcut yellow compound, or have you tried green chromium oxide or diamond paste? As you strop plane irons, does the edge stay flat for taking an even shaving? I have some paper wheels I use for knive sharpening that I could try.

I add “honerite gold” to my spray bottle to reduce the chances of rust, and also add a drop of dish soap to lubricate the cuts (this helps when flattening large metal areas, reducing the water lock that can occur).

-- Allen, Colorado

#2 posted 03-30-2014 04:42 PM

bob -
haven’t used the other compounds. The flexcut yellow came with the strop, and I have had a block of it for more than a year now. – - Don’t know that it is best, but it works great, and I haven’t used up half yet.

For the plan irons, I don’t see reshaping from the strop. When I am using the stones, I apply pressure to the outside edges, to intentionally put a little camber on the blade.

View Eric in central Florida's profile

Eric in central Florida

#3 posted 03-30-2014 10:23 PM

That’s a mighty good price for those stones.
When it’s time to order more, I’ll give them a try.
Thanks a bunch.

-- All glory comes from daring to begin.

View siavosh's profile

siavosh

#4 posted 03-31-2014 05:25 PM

Thanks for the review. I just got the 8000 mellon form Stuart and am very happy with it. As long as you’re patient, you can definitely get some good savings if you order from him.

I’m hoping to upgrade my Norton 1000/4000 to Shapton’s in the next year.

Do you have a reference on stroping techniques for chisels and plane blades? I’ve never done it, and curious to try.

-- http://woodspotting.com/ -- Discover the best woodworking blogs!

#5 posted 03-31-2014 08:28 PM

I went to the strop after reading an article on sharpening in FWW by Gary Rogowski, where they refer to him as the sharpening doctor. FWW#206

go to the part on Honing the edge – - they go through stones and finish on the stropping.
————————
I had been using the hard felt wheel with compound and was OK with the results.

One of these guys were doing the same thing and using the sandpaper system, doing a final polish on a wheel. They said the strop was a better solution. I had a strop and teh flexcut compound for sharpening gouges, so I gave it a try.
It certainlyl is easier to get a consistent edge on a plane blade (where the blade is wider than the wheel). But I am not really convinced that for chisels that the strop is better than the wheel. but in the end it is all about how sharp you got the blade, and if it is shaving well.

View siavosh's profile

siavosh

#6 posted 04-01-2014 02:13 AM

Thanks for the link!

-- http://woodspotting.com/ -- Discover the best woodworking blogs!