Another bad bosch router product

Review by Vertigo posted 03-30-2014 01:55 AM 3072 views 0 times favorited 16 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Another bad bosch router product No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

What the heck. For a company that makes such a good router their accessories suck. I used this template guide for maybe 2 feet cutting out miter slots on my new outfeed table see here and the collet snapped off of the plate. It took a nice chunk out of my carbide upcut spiral bit. I will be contacting bosch to see if I can get some compensation. If they make good on it I will let you know. If I don’t update this assume they suck still.

-- Greg - Ferdinand and Son Construction: Do it right the first time. Like us on Facebook

View NiteWalker's profile

NiteWalker

#1 posted 03-30-2014 02:02 AM

I never felt comfortable with the bosch template guides either.

These days I always make my own router bases from polycarbonate. It’s not too difficult to make a plate that accepts pc style guides.

I hope they take care of you.

-- He who dies with the most tools... dies with the emptiest wallet.

#2 posted 03-30-2014 02:08 AM

What do you mean by ”another bad Bosch…” Have you had other issues ?

#3 posted 03-30-2014 02:16 AM

NW. Im gonna be looking into that.
Dusty. Yea with one of their router bits. I reviewed that also. Just check in my profile. Love their routers. Just not their accessories

#4 posted 03-30-2014 02:23 AM

Will do : )

View WhoMe's profile

WhoMe

1125 posts in 1966 days

#5 posted 03-30-2014 05:05 AM

Yea, great mid size routers but they need to get with the program and include a baseplate that accepts pc standard accessories on their routers. Like bushings and so on. A lot off other manufacturers do.

-- I'm not clumsy.. It's just the floor hates me, the tables and chairs are bullies and the wall gets in the way.. - Mike -

View ThorinOakenshield's profile

ThorinOakenshield

#6 posted 03-31-2014 02:59 AM

Amen. These guides are horrible. The only good one is the adapter for the porter-cable style bushings. Not a base plate WhoMe but very affective. I wouldn’t want a “porter-cable” bushing base plate. Wouldn’t be able to run the big bits in it.

Now… back to slamming Bosch over this ridiculous product. These bushing don’t allow you to adjust the depth of cut low enough, forcing you to pull the bit out of the router collet a little more… just a little more… then the bit flexes when you try to make a cut and smacks against the guide bushing. I had the same thing happen to me :). Bosch replaced the bushing so I still have a complete set of junk. I use the porter-cable bushings now.. no issues.

-- -Thorin Oakenshield, King Under the Mountain

#7 posted 03-31-2014 03:38 AM

I’m not even that excited about their routers. Add in non-standard accessories, and it’s a tough sell.

View BinghamtonEd's profile

BinghamtonEd

#8 posted 03-31-2014 12:34 PM

I have the 1617EVS and find it very annoying that it doesn’t fit standard bushings without an adapter. It’s a frickin router, come on. I do really like the rest of the router, though. I got the clear replacement base from PeachTree. It’s under $20 I believe, and comes with a centering pin. I use porter cable bushings in it, and it works great.

-- - The mightiest oak in the forest is just a little nut that held its ground.

#9 posted 03-31-2014 12:42 PM

Ed I have the same router. I’ll look into peachtree

View BinghamtonEd's profile

BinghamtonEd

#10 posted 03-31-2014 01:01 PM

Greg, it is item 1051, near the bottom of the page. $19.99.

-- - The mightiest oak in the forest is just a little nut that held its ground.

View rkober's profile

rkober

#11 posted 03-31-2014 03:55 PM

+1 for the porter-cable adapter. That’s what I did years ago when I got my first Bosch router and have been quite happy since. I like the quick release. However, once when not paying attention, I mounted the adapter in upside down and quickly learned it wan’t latched right. Also I’ve found to give the latch a little extra push and not just depend on the spring to latch.

-- Ray - Spokane, WA - “Most people don’t recognize opportunity because it’s usually disguised as hard work.” - Unknown

View MT_Stringer's profile

MT_Stringer

2068 posts in 1953 days

#12 posted 03-31-2014 08:14 PM

I guess I am the lucky one. I have two of the 1617’s. I bought the adapters and use both the Bosch and Porter Cable style bushings.

I guess one of these days I will get bit in the bohunkus, but not as of yet.

-- Handcrafted by Mike Henderson - Channelview, Texas

#13 posted 03-31-2014 08:41 PM

If all else fails you can get a replacement sub base from Rockler. It allows you to use P.C. style bushings on a Bosch router.
That’s what I did with my 1617, and it works fine.

View Mbogle's profile

Mbogle

#14 posted 04-01-2014 02:31 PM

Had one do the same thing on me. I had plunged too far and the locking nut ground the weld off causing it to fail. Totally my fault for not seeing how deep I was plunging prior to routing it.

#15 posted 04-01-2014 02:41 PM

I wish I could say it was something like that. I don’t like not having an explanation for something failing. My best guess would be a bad weld and then having it ride against the template it cracked off