Harbor Freight Digital Mini Moisture Meter

Review by Jerry posted 03-29-2014 05:28 PM 2413 views 0 times favorited 16 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Harbor Freight Digital Mini Moisture Meter No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Again another stunning value from Harbor Freight $12.99 for something that measures moisture in wood, masonry, and doubles as a centigrade or fahrenheit thermometer. Compare this to 25 or 30 bucks elsewhere.

-- I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my telephone. My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my telephone.

View Rick M.'s profile

Rick M.

#1 posted 03-29-2014 07:11 PM

How is the battery life? Does it auto-shut off?

-- |Statistics show that 100% of people bitten by a snake were close to it.|

#2 posted 03-29-2014 07:51 PM

Thanks for sharing. I was looking ofr one and did not know HF had one. It will work for what I need it to

-- Norman

View Dallas's profile

Dallas

#3 posted 03-29-2014 08:00 PM

I’ve had that model since about 2011 and it’s still on it’s first set of batteries.

Seems plenty accurate to me.

-- Improvise.... Adapt...... Overcome!

#4 posted 03-29-2014 09:08 PM

Thanks for the review,interesting find.

#5 posted 03-29-2014 09:52 PM

RE Rick M.: According to Dallas the batteries have lasted three years for him, and yes, it does auto shut off.

View Mark Davisson's profile

Mark Davisson

501 posts in 2007 days

#6 posted 03-29-2014 10:21 PM

I’m with NormG – didn’t know HF carried them!

-- I'm selfless because it feels so good!

View Roger's profile

#7 posted 03-30-2014 12:16 AM

Thnx for your review Jerry. HF has some diamonds in the ruff.

-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Kentuk55@bellsouth.net

View rance's profile

rance

#8 posted 03-30-2014 12:32 AM

And don’t forget the two rules of buying at HF:

1) Always use your 20% off coupon.
2) Always get a free flashlight(or multimeter, or whatever)

Nice review. I’ll probably pick one up tomorrow.

-- Backer boards, stop blocks, build oversized, and never buy a hand plane--

View Stephenw's profile

Stephenw

#9 posted 03-30-2014 03:09 PM

I’ve got one I purchased about a year ago. I haven’t used it much. I just took it out and found the batteries were still good.

It is pretty dry in Utah.

I’m getting 0% on dry wood stored inside.

I’m getting 7% on wood that spent the winter outside.

It would be nice to compare this tool against an expensive model.

-- http://www.garagebulletin.com/

#10 posted 03-30-2014 08:04 PM

Stephenw, that is a great idea! If any lumberjocks out there have both, it would be an interesting test. I’m going to take this to the local wood shop and see if I can run a comparison against their store model when I’m there the next time I go.

View Big_Bob's profile

Big_Bob

#11 posted 04-01-2014 06:10 AM

I have used the same tool for about 4 years and I just had to replace the batteries. Radio Shack wanted $16 for the batteries. So I went back to Harbor Freight and for $4 got new batteries. It should be good for another 4 years. And yes it has an auto shutoff. It works well I keep it hanging on my lathe.

-- Bob Clark, Tool Collector and Sawdust Maker

View Randy_ATX's profile

Randy_ATX

#12 posted 04-01-2014 03:44 PM

The above comment at 0% MC makes me wonder about it’s accuracy.

-- Randy -- Austin, TX by way of Northwest (Woodville), OH

View Big_Bob's profile

Big_Bob

#13 posted 04-03-2014 05:36 PM

Randy:

I use mine for woodturning. I am told you are safe finish turning at 10% I have never had a problem turning wood that read 10% or less using this meter. The meter only reads down to 8% lower than that it is below its range. But who cares below 8% is dryer than anyone would ever need for woodworking.

-- Bob Clark, Tool Collector and Sawdust Maker

View Delain's profile

Delain

#14 posted 04-16-2014 12:03 PM

I recently bought this meter and have been testing with a few wood types in my shop. Most of the wood I stick it with shows some sort of % reading. However, when I test some cherry rough boards I’ve had ‘stickered’ for about two months, it reads 0%. Seems hard to imagine it wouldn’t show something above 0%. Is it feasible to expect a zero content in wood that’s just been laying in your garage/shop versus systematically dried? Or is it characteristic of cherry?

Tested it also by spritzing some water on the cherry and then it will read from about 11% to 17%. On the same piece a few inches down from the damp spot it will again show 0%. This seems to say the meter works okay; just not sure how well.

Another thought, I haven’t tested any pieces where the meter showed a range of say 2% to 5%; always seems to read either 0% or from 6% to 17%. Not sure what to make of this, but I don’t have another means of comparing.

Based upon comments here and within the other two reviews I’ve seen so far, I think this is an excellent buy for the price and seems to be dependable enough.
Thoughts?