Harbor Freight Digital Mini Moisture Meter

Review by Jerry posted 03-29-2014 05:28 PM 2646 views 0 times favorited 16 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Harbor Freight Digital Mini Moisture Meter No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Again another stunning value from Harbor Freight $12.99 for something that measures moisture in wood, masonry, and doubles as a centigrade or fahrenheit thermometer. Compare this to 25 or 30 bucks elsewhere.

-- There are good ships and there are wood ships, the ships that sail the sea, but the best ships are friendships and may they always be.

View Rick M.'s profile

Rick M.

#1 posted 03-29-2014 07:11 PM

How is the battery life? Does it auto-shut off?

-- http://thewoodknack.blogspot.com/

#2 posted 03-29-2014 07:51 PM

Thanks for sharing. I was looking ofr one and did not know HF had one. It will work for what I need it to

-- Norman

View Dallas's profile

Dallas

#3 posted 03-29-2014 08:00 PM

I’ve had that model since about 2011 and it’s still on it’s first set of batteries.

Seems plenty accurate to me.

-- Improvise.... Adapt...... Overcome!

#4 posted 03-29-2014 09:08 PM

Thanks for the review,interesting find.

#5 posted 03-29-2014 09:52 PM

RE Rick M.: According to Dallas the batteries have lasted three years for him, and yes, it does auto shut off.

View Mark Davisson's profile

Mark Davisson

#6 posted 03-29-2014 10:21 PM

I’m with NormG – didn’t know HF carried them!

-- I'm selfless because it feels so good!

View Roger's profile

#7 posted 03-30-2014 12:16 AM

Thnx for your review Jerry. HF has some diamonds in the ruff.

-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Kentuk55@bellsouth.net

View rance's profile

rance

4155 posts in 2026 days

#8 posted 03-30-2014 12:32 AM

And don’t forget the two rules of buying at HF:

1) Always use your 20% off coupon.
2) Always get a free flashlight(or multimeter, or whatever)

Nice review. I’ll probably pick one up tomorrow.

-- Backer boards, stop blocks, build oversized, and never buy a hand plane--

View Stephenw's profile

Stephenw

#9 posted 03-30-2014 03:09 PM

I’ve got one I purchased about a year ago. I haven’t used it much. I just took it out and found the batteries were still good.

It is pretty dry in Utah.

I’m getting 0% on dry wood stored inside.

I’m getting 7% on wood that spent the winter outside.

It would be nice to compare this tool against an expensive model.

-- http://www.garagebulletin.com/

#10 posted 03-30-2014 08:04 PM

Stephenw, that is a great idea! If any lumberjocks out there have both, it would be an interesting test. I’m going to take this to the local wood shop and see if I can run a comparison against their store model when I’m there the next time I go.

View Big_Bob's profile

Big_Bob

#11 posted 04-01-2014 06:10 AM

I have used the same tool for about 4 years and I just had to replace the batteries. Radio Shack wanted $16 for the batteries. So I went back to Harbor Freight and for $4 got new batteries. It should be good for another 4 years. And yes it has an auto shutoff. It works well I keep it hanging on my lathe.

-- Bob Clark, Tool Collector and Sawdust Maker

View Randy_ATX's profile

Randy_ATX

#12 posted 04-01-2014 03:44 PM

The above comment at 0% MC makes me wonder about it’s accuracy.

-- Randy -- Austin, TX by way of Northwest (Woodville), OH

View Big_Bob's profile

Big_Bob

#13 posted 04-03-2014 05:36 PM

Randy:

I use mine for woodturning. I am told you are safe finish turning at 10% I have never had a problem turning wood that read 10% or less using this meter. The meter only reads down to 8% lower than that it is below its range. But who cares below 8% is dryer than anyone would ever need for woodworking.

-- Bob Clark, Tool Collector and Sawdust Maker

View Delain's profile

Delain

#14 posted 04-16-2014 12:03 PM

I recently bought this meter and have been testing with a few wood types in my shop. Most of the wood I stick it with shows some sort of % reading. However, when I test some cherry rough boards I’ve had ‘stickered’ for about two months, it reads 0%. Seems hard to imagine it wouldn’t show something above 0%. Is it feasible to expect a zero content in wood that’s just been laying in your garage/shop versus systematically dried? Or is it characteristic of cherry?

Tested it also by spritzing some water on the cherry and then it will read from about 11% to 17%. On the same piece a few inches down from the damp spot it will again show 0%. This seems to say the meter works okay; just not sure how well.

Another thought, I haven’t tested any pieces where the meter showed a range of say 2% to 5%; always seems to read either 0% or from 6% to 17%. Not sure what to make of this, but I don’t have another means of comparing.

Based upon comments here and within the other two reviews I’ve seen so far, I think this is an excellent buy for the price and seems to be dependable enough.
Thoughts?