Veritas jointer fence

Review by naked_wookie posted 03-29-2014 04:35 PM 2321 views 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Veritas jointer fence Veritas jointer fence Veritas jointer fence Click the pictures to enlarge them

I recently picked up the veritas jointer fence from lee valley to use with my low angle jack plane to joint some 6/4 walnut for my wifes desk.
I am fairly new to hand tools and with that I am not the steadiest when prepping boards edges yet.
This fence changed that. I was able to joint the entire 7 foot length of my boards smoothly and nice and square.
The instructions for this tool are very clear and explain what to do if your planes wings aren’t square to the sole.
Thankfully mine is so that made setup even easier.
The fence itself holds fairly well to the plane using the rare earth magnets embedded in it. and the stop holds its against the front of your plane rather well.
I found personally that about 2 fingers on the fence was enough to hold it tight against the board and still square with the plane as well.
all in all a very nicely designed add on for anyone wanting to joint boards to long for a shooting board.

-- nate.

View naked_wookie's profile

naked_wookie

View Vance100's profile

Vance100

#1 posted 03-29-2014 09:55 PM

I made a fence from some scraps and clamped it on with mini c-clamps. It works great. The veritas one would be a lot easier to attach and remove.

View michelletwo's profile

michelletwo

#2 posted 03-31-2014 10:19 AM

I’ve used this for years and since it is easy to put on & remove, i use it on many planes for whatever I need at the moment.

-- We call the destruction of replaceable human made items vandalism, while the destruction of irreplaceable natural resources is called development.

View vbraddy17's profile

vbraddy17

#3 posted 06-11-2014 06:04 PM

I actually purchased one of these on ebay long ago. Its very handy and kept me straight on many occasions in the past. Quite frankly, now I feel I have control of my planes without using a fence. I think that comes with experience though. This is a useful tool if you are just getting used to hand planes though.

View OSU55's profile

OSU55

#4 posted 09-12-2014 01:22 AM

I have used one for several years. It fits all my Stanley’s from 4 to 7 as well as the LV BU jack. It’s so easy to use I still use it anytime I need to joint an edge. A worthwhile addition for the handplane user.