Deluxe Gopher Pick-up Tool

Review by MrRon posted 149 days ago 2069 views 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Deluxe Gopher Pick-up Tool No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This is not a woodworker tool, but it is a tool none-the-less. Made of plastic, aluminum and spring steel; operated by hand, it is used to pick up items that are out of reach with suction cup like grippers. Originally intended for older people who have difficulty picking up items that are out of reach, I have found more uses for this tool than it was intended for. Although I’m not an old person (only 79), I do have difficulty picking up small items that fall to the floor in my shop. The tool is pretty well made except for one thing that has been a common complaint by those who have bought this. The rubber cups at the ends of the pincer like arms are held on by a small screw and they fall off in no time. Tightening the screw only strips out the hole. A permanent fix is to apply some sort of glue or epoxy in the hole. This I have done and no further problem has arisen. I have dubbed mine the “roach picker upper”. I use it for the unpleasant task of picking up dead roaches (with tissue) to dispose of them, but I use it for picking up items in the shop. The tool also folds in half, although I can’t see a good reason for it, other than to fit it into a smaller package. They have been around for a number of years and started life as a “seen-on-TV” commercial. They are now sold in many stores, like Walmart for around $10.00. I gave this a rating of 4 stars, due to the rubber cups falling off issue.

View MrRon's profile

MrRon

View Picklehead's profile

Picklehead

How’s it for picking up gophers?

-- You've got to be smarter than the tree.

View gamygeezer's profile

gamygeezer

Can never be too careful with gophers. those little suckers can bite!

-- What's a vibrant young guy like me doing in a broken down old body like this?

View airfieldman's profile

airfieldman

I prefer the rodanator

-- Measure with a micrometer, mark with a crayon, cut it with a chainsaw.

View Greg..the Cajun  Box Sculptor's profile

Greg..the Cajun Box Sculptor

4980 posts in 1933 days

I’ve have owned one of these for years. I primarily use it to pick up dog turds in they yard. works great but you gotta hose it off afterwards before using it in the shop.

View ward63's profile

ward63

Great for picking up things that fall behind a cabinet or on the floor in hard to reach areas.
Got mine at the hyakuenya (dollar store).

View JCMeyersIV's profile

JCMeyersIV

I literally thought this was about dealing with pesky gophers.

-- John, NNY, www.facebook.com/JC4Woodworking