my first apron - Thanks Marc!

Review by rhybeka posted 03-23-2014 01:52 PM 2501 views 0 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
my first apron - Thanks Marc! No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’ve been looking for a while for a shop apron that met my criteria – had to have pockets for pencils, fit over my winter clothes, take abuse (since I seem to be hard on all of my clothes), and, well I guess this is where being female comes in, not be butt ugly.

I’ve had my eye on TheWoodWhisperer's shop apron a while now, just haven’t been able to pony up for it. When I was able to a few weeks ago, I went to order it and saw it was out of stock. I emailed and asked when it was due to be back in. The lady who answered my email was very nice and told me when they expected the product in, and let me know she would put me on the list to be contacted. Sure enough, that next Tuesday I got an email telling me they were in stock again. I placed my order and four days later it arrived in my mailbox!

I can’t say I’ve put it through it’s paces yet, but it looks extremely sturdy, it is already adjusted to my spring size and ready to be broken in. Love the fact that the logo is stitched on!! It’ll wear well for many years to come. There’s two pencil pockets, and six other pockets for me to lose things in :) All around great experience and great product.

#1 posted 03-23-2014 03:41 PM

I bought the same one and feel its one of the best out there. I hate aprons pulling on my neck and this one sits nicely on my shoulders more than others I have tried. Mine is green which hides the mess on the front… enjoy yours and I’m sure others will get it as well.

View Grumpymike's profile

Grumpymike

#2 posted 03-23-2014 05:04 PM

I have four shop aprons, one is just plane hot to wear, so it’s the winter apron of choice. (it gets down to 40 here).
Another has pockets, but they are all in the wrong spots (for me any way) but it’s a tuff denim and feels good.
I’m just relearning lathe work so ya gotta have a smock … Well, that’s what retired people do …
I also have an inexpensive logo laden apron that ties at the neck and again in the back … it hangs on the wall nicely .. rarely used.

But wait, there is one thing they all have in common, they all have pockets full of sawdust and shavings! So once in a while you empty all the pockets, shake them out and find all the little bits and pieces you’ve been looking all over for.

And wash them?? Ha! It’s in the rule book on page 4 … “Apron washing is not allowed, Violators will be severely punished by loss of shop time and noodle whipping for having clean unstained aprons”.

I hope that you enjoy your new apron as much as I enjoy griping about mine, I really do like them ... I like the pocket flaps, great Idea.

-- Grumpy old guy, and lookin' good Doin' it. ... Surprise Az.

View rad457's profile

rad457

#3 posted 03-23-2014 05:07 PM

I went with the Lee Valley , seeing as I have a lot of there tools was the way to go.
Andre of Alberta

-- Andre of Alberta. Finger Prints show your hands were on the wood.

View CharlesA's profile (online now)

CharlesA

#4 posted 03-23-2014 10:18 PM

I got the Duluth Trading company apron—I like it a lot—it doesn’t hang on the neck either. As for sawdust, it has mesh bottom pockets—I suppose some sawdust does go through the holes, but if you have planer, plan, or other shavings or chips larger that sawdust, it still collects.

View jimintx's profile

jimintx

#5 posted 03-24-2014 03:42 AM

I haven’t ever considered an apron. Maybe I should, though.

Aren’t they hot to wear?

I checked out all the ones mentioned, and a bunch more on Amazon. There is a fairly wide range of prices for aprons.

View CharlesA's profile (online now)

CharlesA

#6 posted 03-24-2014 03:48 AM

I was down to this wood whisperer and Duluth trading, but ww was out of stock so it made easy decision. Don’t think mine is hot. Why?do I wear it? Keeps some things handy in pockets, but,mostly because it keeps my shirt cleaner so I’m not a solid mass of sawdust when I come in house or go to store.

#7 posted 03-25-2014 06:45 PM

Yeah – I don’t think it’ll be hot to wear – it’s a canvas type fabric. I’m wearing it for the same reason Charles is – to keep my shirt/clothes cleaner. I also have a tougher time being a female and finding something that fits or can be adjusted to fit. this one has a lot of adjustments to it!

View JayT's profile

JayT

#8 posted 03-25-2014 07:19 PM

My shop “apron” came from a scrub & uniform shop—it’s an extra long, cuffed long sleeve cotton jacket. The cuffs allow me to pull up the sleeves out of the way when working with power tools and it does a great job of keeping clothes clean. No quite as many pockets as I would like, but it works just fine. Best part is that there was quite a range of sizes, styles and colors to choose from an it only set me back $14.

-- "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." Alexis de Tocqueville, 1835

#9 posted 04-02-2014 01:52 AM