Rob Cosman's Ruthlessly Propagated Plane Blade and Chipbreaker

Review by TheWoodenOyster posted 03-19-2014 05:32 AM 3402 views 1 time favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Rob Cosman's Ruthlessly Propagated Plane Blade and Chipbreaker No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Hey there everyone.

I have been feeling bad lately because all I do is read reviews. I am going to try try to start writing more. So here it goes.

I always wondered about the aftermarket plane blades and whether or not they made much of a difference. Well, I got a good old No.4 about 6 months ago and figured I would have a go with one of the 2” IBC Pinnacle blade and chipbreaker sets that Rob Cosman ruthlessly advertises.

The blade and breaker showed up and little honing was required. The back of the blade was flat (I use the ruler trick anyway) and the chipbreaker was matched PERFECTLY. It is A2 steel, but I did not notice that it was too time-consuming to sharpen. Honed it up Paul Sellers style and got after it. The blade performs very well, and the results in difficult wood are pretty good considering the regular old 45 degree bed angle and an old plane. I have been setting the chipbreaker as close as possible, literally around .3 to .4 mm from the edge of the blade. This has really helped reduce tearout. There is a very noticeable difference between the old blade and the new. Hardly ever any chatter. I would compare it to driving a gasoline truck vs. a diesel truck. The diesel just powers thru and so does this blade. I know a lot of you pros out there can get the original blade to work perfectly, but I decided to get this blade to hold me over til I figure out how to get those old blades to work perfectly with no chatter (and yes, I can sharpen).

I was using it yesterday and loving it, and figured I ought to write up a quick review. 5 stars it is. After 5 to 6 months of use, I have been very happy. I have it smoothing like 1500 grit sandpaper now that I nipped the corners off.

I’m sure some of you guys will have some questions, so bring it on. Hopefully I covered most of what you wanted to know.

For the record, I plan to get a Hock blade and chipbreaker to compare. I honestly don’t know if there will be much of a difference and after using this blade, IBC might have won me over for the long haul.

-- The Wood Is Your Oyster

View TheWoodenOyster's profile

TheWoodenOyster

View rad457's profile

rad457

#1 posted 03-19-2014 02:32 PM

I have replaced 2 of my plane blades with the LV PMV-11 blades, some work to get them set up the way I wanted them but totally amazed at the durability of the blades. Need to see if I can get a PMV-11 for my little LN 102?

-- Andre of Alberta. Are you Kidding me?

View CharlesA's profile (online now)

CharlesA

1910 posts in 519 days

#2 posted 03-19-2014 03:06 PM

thanks. Very helpful. so far I haven’t paid that much for one of my planes, but this could be handy.

View TheDane's profile

TheDane

#3 posted 03-19-2014 03:50 PM

I have both the Pinnacle and Hock blades in a couple of my vintage Stanley planes … both are excellent.

I have a Hock in my No 7 and Pinnacles in my No 3 and No 4.

View Steve Diogo's profile

Steve Diogo

#4 posted 03-19-2014 03:57 PM

did you have to file the mouth?

-- http://chicagowoodworker.wordpress.com/

View bobasaurus's profile

bobasaurus

1386 posts in 1905 days

#5 posted 03-19-2014 07:46 PM

I bought one of these from Rob to restore my grandpa’s old bailey #3. I had to file the mouth wider, which was a little unnerving, but it works great now. I use it for lots of small smoothing tasks on difficult grain without any problems. I like how well the chipbreaker fits the blade, and can be tightened without moving the setting. These blades are expensive, but seem to be worth it.

-- Allen, Colorado

View TheDane's profile

TheDane

#6 posted 03-19-2014 08:21 PM

Steve … No, the mouths were sufficient on both planes with the frog set back as far as it would go.

View TheWoodenOyster's profile

TheWoodenOyster

#7 posted 03-20-2014 03:26 AM

I had to file the mouth of my No.4 a little bit. Probably about 15 minuted of work or so. It is actually still a little tight for my liking and I have been considering opening it up a bit more.

-- The Wood Is Your Oyster

View Nicky's profile

Nicky

#8 posted 03-22-2014 04:04 PM

I’ve always wanted to try one of these upgrades but hard to believe that it was really worth the expense. I can see if I had the chipbreaker closer to the edge and had a thicker blade (more mass) it would help reduce the chatter.

I appreciate your review, think I’ll give one a whirl.

-- Nicky

View Fettler's profile

Fettler

#9 posted 04-08-2014 03:54 PM

My PMV-11 iron is my favorite so far, but i haven’t got around to honing the Pinnacles (which beat out the Hock iron on price given Rob’s discount).

-- --Rob, Seattle, WA

View OSU55's profile

OSU55

#10 posted 09-09-2014 12:29 PM

I have a Lee Valley chip breaker and A2 blade set for my Stanley #7. With a Stanley and the LV blade sharpened up the same, I find no difference. As the edges dull, the thicker LV blade/breaker continue to cut where as the Stanley set gets difficult. Essentially the LV blade/breaker set extended the sharpening interval. I find this true regardless of wood type or grain direction etc. Instead of investing in aftermarket blades, I purchased a dozen Stanley blade/breaker sets and switch out the sets during a project. I then sharpen them up all at once. I just didn’t see the value in the aftermarket blade/breaker sets. I always have sharp blades for final smoothing passwes now.