Review by Mark A. DeCou posted 127 days ago 1786 views 0 times favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch
Forging A Custom Hinge with Peter Ross DVD from Popular Woodworking Blacksmith F+W Media No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Mr. Ross’ style is perfect for me, calm, peaceful, he even makes hammering metal feel and sound good on video. He aptly demonstrates how to make a forged iron (might have been steel) hinge out of sheet metal, using basic hand tools, a heat forge and anvil, all of which I have already.

My goals for buying this video were to learn the process and apply the concept to making hammered copper hinges for a project in the Charles Rohlfs style, which always had exceptionally made hammered- copper hardware. Even though Mr. Ross’ video uses steel sheet metal, I saw just what I needed to adapt the work into copper sheet metal.

Mr. Ross doesn’t tell any jokes or funny stories, but I enjoyed watching his hands work and he stops to describe exactly in a few words what I needed to hear without a lot of distracting chatter and stumbling and repeating, which often happens in amateur videos.

I feel this is a video and project that Mr. Ross did well on, and I would recommend this video.

Sincerely,
Mark A. DeCou

-- Mark DeCou - American Contemporary Craft Artisan - www.decoustudio.com

View Mark A. DeCou's profile

Mark A. DeCou

1973 posts in 3003 days

1 comment so far

View jdh122's profile (online now)

jdh122

Thanks for the review. I’ve enjoyed watching Peter Ross the many times he’s appeared on the Woodwright’s shop.

-- Jeremy, in the Acadian forests