a good deal...??

Review by steve posted 03-16-2014 09:59 PM 2772 views 0 times favorited 29 comments Add to Favorites Watch
a good deal...?? No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Not sure whether or not I am supposed to say that something is on sale somewhere, but I thought it sounded like a good deal, and wondered how others found these chisels to be. Stanley Sweetheart Series 750 Chisels.

I have a Woodriver set, and some ole Irwins now, but want to upgrade.

Stanley Sweetheart Series 750 Chisels – $99 – 4 pc set, 1/4” – 1”, w/leather pouch

#1 posted 03-16-2014 11:56 PM

Seemed like a good deal to me when I purchased them on Amazon a few weeks ago. This is my first set of chisels, so I am not ready to formally review. I can say that they appeared flat; i.e., no low spots showed up as I was flattening them using scary sharp method, and they sharpened well with Veritas MKII Honing Hig (again, scary sharp). Just used them earlier today for my first attempt at hand cut dovetails – I like the result (this is practice on scrap for an upcoming bookcase project for Mrs. Lumbermeister). Long story short (in take it with a grain of salt from this newbie to chisels), they perform well.

What are you looking to do with them, and how do you hope that they will perform vs. the Woodriver and Irwin brands?

View OhValleyWoodandWool's profile

OhValleyWoodandWool

#2 posted 03-16-2014 11:58 PM

Sounds like a pretty good deal to me. Where did you get them?

-- "All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then Success is sure." Mark Twain

#3 posted 03-17-2014 12:01 AM

Amazon. I see that they now are selling for a little under $98.

#4 posted 03-17-2014 12:20 AM

I will mainly use them for dove’s…and …well, I hope they perform better, ha, as in holding an edge.
Also, I would hope to not spend initial—-hours flattening…again, I hope they hold an edge longer, it seems as though “I feel” I have to touch-up the Woodrivers often…but I am kinda anal with chisels…I am un-trusting, or maybe a better term is, dis-satisfied, as to the sharpness…probably just me, being…me, ha

#5 posted 03-17-2014 12:23 AM

btw…the Amazon deal $97.94, seems better than the WoodPecks deal $99+ shipping, I was talking about, especially since I have Amazon Prime shipping…Thanks!

#6 posted 03-17-2014 12:24 AM

Steve – I sharpened mine just as a matter of course, and the flattening/sharpening only took 5 or 10 minutes for each of the 4 chisels.

View Dedvw's profile

Dedvw

#7 posted 03-17-2014 12:28 AM

I have the 4 piece Sweetheart set and love them. They are some of the finest chisels I have ever used. They are wicked sharp and keep their edge for a long time. After a fresh sharpening, I can cut through Oak end grain like a hot knife in butter. The leather pouch with plastic tip cover is a very nice addition to the set. I think they are tough to beat for the price.

I have heard varying reviews of them so maybe I got a nice batch.

#8 posted 03-17-2014 12:31 AM

I am going to give em a shot…gonna order on Amazon..:)

View ChuckC's profile

ChuckC

#9 posted 03-17-2014 01:09 AM

I have the 8 piece set. I used a WorkSharp 3000 to flatten and sharpen. The larger ones took a while to flatten but after getting through that I like having them.

View jacob34's profile

jacob34

#10 posted 03-17-2014 01:39 AM

I purchased the set, I have a hodge podge set and this is my first actual set. I am a huge fan of them so far.

-- so a bear and a rabbit are sitting on a log

View rad457's profile

rad457

#11 posted 03-18-2014 03:48 AM

Bought this set(plus the 1/8”) about a year ago soon after I had bought a Narex set, Stanely wins! Then picked up an old set of Stanely 720’s and on a whim a set of Stanely Baileys!(my dogs name is Bailley) I have caught a bad case of Chisel addiction! Found a beautiful old Germany chisel that I would love to have a complete set! Been grabbing all sorts of old chisels, to the point of hoarding them, hiding them in boxes, just waiting to be flattened and have a new razor edge back on there blades. I think I need help!!!!

-- Andre of Alberta. Are you Kidding me?

View Richard's profile

Richard

#12 posted 03-18-2014 07:29 PM

rad457 , “I have caught a bad case of Chisel addiction! ” Just wait till you start going for Planes as well. then your really going to need Help.

#13 posted 03-19-2014 12:12 AM

HA!
sounds like a {good} addiction, ha
I love older things too…money doesn’t last long in my “wish-piggy-bank”

View Holbs's profile

Holbs

#14 posted 03-19-2014 03:16 AM

i’m curious. are these new chisels identical in every way to the ‘ol famous ones from far yonder in the past? from material, to manufacture and quality, to weight and height, bevel degree, etc?

View rad457's profile

rad457

#15 posted 03-19-2014 05:40 AM

Too late! all started with an old 60 1/2 then a 5 1/4 then a sweet #4 in between there was a 220 and an 9 1/2 which I have no idea as too why I got them? Did I mention that some where along the way I somehow have a few Lie Nielson in the work shop which I have grown very fond off. Find it very strange to use all these iron plane”s to help me build wooden Krenov planes???

-- Andre of Alberta. Are you Kidding me?