SawStop Overarm Dust Collection - worth it, but flawed connection

Review by Kenyon94 posted 167 days ago 2709 views 1 time favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
SawStop Overarm Dust Collection - worth it, but flawed connection SawStop Overarm Dust Collection - worth it, but flawed connection SawStop Overarm Dust Collection - worth it, but flawed connection Click the pictures to enlarge them

Someone asked me a follow-up question on my review of my SawStop 3HP PCS, and I thought it would be worth it to answer it in a standalone review for others to see.

I’d noted in my review that I had to buy a different connection for the overarm dust collection assembly, which is one of the optional accessories with the SawStop table saws. In general, I really like the extra dust collection capabilities of this accessory – for most cuts, there’s just no dust left over on the table. But I had to make an adjustment to get there which was sort of annoying, so let me explain.

If you look at the first picture, you’ll see near the bottom-left their 2 1/2in to 4in connection fitting. It’s meant to go over the 4in O.D. output port in the bottom back of the saw, and you bring the 2 1/2in overarm tube into it to connect them into your 4in flexible tube to your main DC system. The problem is, their factory fitting brings in the 2 1/2in tube at a 90 degree angle, which makes absolutely no sense at all. You don’t have to be a HVAC expert to know that 90 degree angles in air flow are suboptimal. So I bought a Y fitting like this one to bring the 2 1/2in tube in at a 45 degree angle. Of course, that fitting is a 4in O.D. (outside diameter) which bumps right up against the 4in O.D. of the cabinet, so I had to buy a rubber connector and clamp them together, see third picture. It works well, but I don’t like the fact that the whole apparatus sits pretty far away from the saw, making it hard to roll my workbench/outfeed table right up to it (the dust tube gets in the way). And I generally don’t like having to buy all sorts of “fixes” for something that’s just supposed to work really well. It’s why the overall system only gets three stars from me – this would have been an easy fix for SawStop, just include a Y-fitting with the saw. For a company that crushes the competition in terms of packaging and ease of installation and generally making the process really easy, this seemed like a needless oversight.

One last note on the overam dust collection assembly – the final way to optimize the capability of it is to make sure your overarm is pushed back as far away from the blade as possible so you minimize the amount of angle changes right off the blade. The second picture shows the system in exactly the opposite configuration (angled back up over the saw, away from my workbench), so I’m saying when I get ready to make a cut, I make sure to push the arm out over the workbench as far as it will go.

Hope this helps!

Kenyon94

One more note – I forgot that I also used a second rubber connector to clamp together the 2 1/4 overarm tube into the Y-connector. If memory serves, the piece which comes with the overarm tube wasn’t 2 1/2, it was more like 2 1/4, so I used another rubber connector with clamps to make sure it was on there solidly – you can see it in the third picture.

View Dustman's profile

Dustman

4 posts in 1924 days

I have had my SawStop for about 2 years now and I have never noticed the problem you mention. I do push the upper arm away to get a better angle for the above saw dust extraction, but I have never noticed a problem with the angle on the lower level. I’m using a one horse Grizzly dust collector dedicated to the table saw. Perhaps your dust extraction system is too small for a table saw.

View Domer's profile

Domer

245 posts in 2001 days

I have a 1 1/2 horse Jet dust collector that is on a mobile base. Is the 1 hp Grizzly adequate for your SawStop Table Saw?

View MakerofSawdust's profile

MakerofSawdust

I agree that it appears to be a sub-optimal configuration for the dust port; but I also have had my Sawstop for about three years hooked up to a Jet dust collector and have not had any problems at all with it sucking out the dust. I hear and feel a pretty good air flow through that hose at the blade. I had to wrap a couple layers of masking tape on the part coming out of the saw at the bottom to make it slightly bigger to get a tight fit, but that’s no big deal.

-- - Kevin from Cincinnati. All my work is guaranteed: Three minutes or three feet; whichever comes first.

View Buckeyes85's profile

Buckeyes85

i have one of these too. Have not modified the 90 degree to a y yet but have been thinking that would help. i’m also looking at new DCs. right now i have a jet 650 (1HP) with a dust dog canister. about 8’ of 4” hose on it. the filter is not clogged but i think the suction power to the overarm is anemic. i dont have room for a big cyclone and need to stay with 110 power so am thinking about the Powermatic 1300 cone or the oneida mini-gorilla. any thoughts on those options?

thanks

Kenyon94

Thanks for all the comments…

Dustman and MakerofSawdust – you’re right, it’s really not a major problem, but I still thought it was worth fixing. I noticed a great deal more suction on the overarm guard after I made the change to the Y-connector (i.e. zero left on the table). Not a big deal and it was working well enough without it, but I thought it was worth it as I plan to have this solution in place for a very long time. My DC is a 1.5 HP Delta 50-760 with a homemade Thien-style separator and it works great.

Buckeye85 – I don’t know much about the DCs you mentioned, but I can tell you I love my Delta 50-760. I really like that it’s a 1 micron bag, that was important to me with little ones playing in the garage/workshop. Suction is great, it’s not too loud, etc. I’ll do a review of the Delta and my Thien-style separator sometime soon, but in general I’m very happy with it. It’s possible that the addition of the separator may be as important as the choice of the DC itself, but I’ll leave that to the dust experts to comment on. That said, if you can afford a Powermatic, I don’t think you can go wrong – I don’t think I’ve ever heard someone complain about them, mostly passionate advocates actually. I just bought an air filtration unit of theirs in the March sale, still need to get it mounted up to the ceiling (so I need to figure out how to find those pesky joists first).

View gtbuzz's profile

gtbuzz

Thanks for these tips. Gonna have to try these out on mine to see what kind of difference it makes.

View hotncold's profile

hotncold

Kenyon94 – as for those pesky joists…try this…it works great…and cheap!

This is what I used when I hung my shop made ambient air cleaner.

-- Dennie - Tennessee - Every Pro was once an Amateur. Every Expert was once a Beginner. So dream Big and start Now!

View mbs's profile

mbs

I’ve had my SS for several years and agree with your review. I don’t fault SS for much, but the design of the T fitting is a miss in my mind. I’ll also add that when you add the HTC outfeed table the rollers hit the DC hose. I had to remove one of the rollers of the outfeed table which was no big deal.

I would have preferred the 4” DC connection to attach underneath the saws extension table to the side of the cabinet.

-- Sorry the reply is so long. I didn't have time to write a short reply.

View StumpyNubs's profile

StumpyNubs

The upper dust collection is often misunderstood on the Sawstop. The dust is not sucked through the hose like a shop vac. The blade guard is designed to create an air stream that pushes the dust into the hose. This means it can be carried away with minimal airflow coming from the collector. So the wye is not an issue.