A+ Router

Review by Woodshopfreak posted 07-02-2008 07:48 PM 2523 views 0 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
A+ Router No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This router is great, everything about it is just awesome. I use it in my router table for the most part and this thing is dead on accurate and is very fun to use. The 2 horsepower motor is plenty powerful to cut through even the hardest woods and it has many features that you can’t find on other routers or features that are on very high priced routers. I prefer using this router to the Porter Cable routers we used at school. The hand grips on Porter Cables are more like griping knobs than handles. The variable speed control is great to have because when cutting into dense woods you have to slow the speed a lot of the time so it doesn’t chip out.

What I Like
- 2 hp
- LED worklights (AWESOME, MAKES SEEING WORK ALOT EASIER)
- Clear Base
- Very efficent dust collection
- Variable speed
- Precise adjustment
- Comfortable hand grips
- Comes with 1/4 and 1/2 inch collets!
- Comes with a very sturdy carrying case
- Comes with an edge guide!!!!!

What I don’t like
- Only comes with a a base plate that has an opening about 1 inch so it limits your bit selection
- The variable speed is expressed with 1-6 I would have liked to know what RPM each is

I am just trying to find things that I don’t like about this so those two things are like nothing on this router because this router is amazing. It’s only about 90 bucks but you get a heck of a router in the process.

-- Tyler, Illinois

View Woodshopfreak's profile

Woodshopfreak

View HokieMojo's profile

HokieMojo

#1 posted 07-02-2008 08:33 PM

thanks for the review. I have a craftsman router too, so I know what you mean about the rpm’s. I think I got the speeds out of my manual and taped it up to the wall so I wouldn’t need to keep refering to the booklet.

View Woodshopfreak's profile

Woodshopfreak

#2 posted 07-02-2008 11:35 PM

I’ll have to check that out, I didn’t notice that. Thanks for the info :)

-- Tyler, Illinois

View tmiller's profile

tmiller

103 posts in 2066 days

#3 posted 05-03-2009 11:12 AM

Own it.

Slowest start I have ever seen. Awesome!

The adjustment spring on the fixed base needs replaced (cheap and easy) so that it doesn’t slip when mounted in a table. A guy in another woodworking forum listed the spring that you can use to replace it. It was a Home Depot item but I forget exactly. Search google for reviews on this router and you will find it.

Would definitely recommend this t

-- tmwsigns.com

#4 posted 05-04-2009 05:08 AM

Thanks for the reveiw

View cpd011's profile

cpd011

83 posts in 1991 days

#5 posted 07-16-2009 09:06 PM

Tmiller, or anyone, if you know the HD part number or spring size I would love to have it. I have the same router in a table and constantly have to adjust when working with it. Thanks.

View jake's profile

jake

#6 posted 10-27-2009 05:22 AM

I bought this router as a second one to have on hand in my shop. While I was initially very impressed, the mechanism to raise and lower the motor has become worn and the teeth do not engage smoothly-often snagging and making me play with it which is very frustrating. The motor is strong, and the other conveniences remain so it’s not a loss but I emailed Sears and suggested they look at the mechanism if others complain or they get many back. I continue to use my Hitachi that has been smooth and problem free for years. For the extra 20.00 I could have bought another Hitachi. This may be an isolated instance but time has spoiled my initial enthusiasm for this unit. Hope it was just a fluke and others do well with theirs, as it works well when in its prime.

View DaleM's profile

DaleM

#7 posted 10-27-2009 07:17 AM

I missed this the first time around. While I don’t have this exact router, I do have the Craftsman 9.5 amp/1 3/4 hp. It doesn’t have variable speed like this one, but is otherwise similar in some ways. The worm gear to raise and lower it is the same I believe. I too had some problems when it was mounted in a table, but the source of the problem was always wood shavings building up in the teeth of the gears, and between the two gears that the spring force together. I had to take a brush to it periodically and that took care of the problem. I might replace the spring too as tmiller mentioned above, which might make it a little more forgiving of wood shaving buildup. The biggest problem of course is when working pine but it seems like any wood contributed a little to the problem. Jake, I could see that if you didn’t catch it early, it would wear away at the teeth. If yours does this: you are raising it up in the table, when it feels like it is starting to bind up, then suddenly drops a bit, it is the same problem I had. If it’s not too late, clean out the valleys in the teeth really well and the space between the two gears that the spring force together.

-- Dale Manning, Carthage, NY

View jake's profile

jake

#8 posted 11-14-2009 01:56 PM

To remedy the problem I too changed the spring. It is a very small, light weight guage spring so little force is exerted by it. I bought a compression spring at Menards for 58 cents, cut it down to fit the opening size and reasembled the locking mechanism with the new spring. It only took about 10 minutes and it fixed the issue of the gears not staying engaged. The worm mechanism did wear and binds a bit due to the former problem, but it works, doesnt come apart, and overall is now acceptable. So the other features of this unit are still very nice, motor continues to be strong and I use it regularly. If someone is handy, this is still a great value overall. It’s funny if you have a Menards near you, they are buying it and putting their name on it. I called their service to see if they had any complaints about the spring; the young man answered the phone as Masterforce service but got mixed up and kept referring to Sears parts. Pretty clear they are using the same supplier even though I never mentioned I bought a Craftsman, I only asked about the spring. I emailed Sears service and mentioned the problem, suggested a running change to a heavier spring, and they never even acknowledged the email.