Harbor Freight Carbide Faced Carving Disc for 4 1/2" Grinder

Review by Jim Jakosh posted 03-14-2014 at 08:20 PM 2144 views 4 times favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Harbor Freight Carbide Faced Carving Disc  for 4 1/2" Grinder Harbor Freight Carbide Faced Carving Disc  for 4 1/2" Grinder No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I had to carve 2” off the diameter of 4 1/2” pistachio tree that was 50” long and needed something to take off a lot of material without loading up or wearing out. So I tried one of the half donut shaped carving wheels from HF that has pieces of carbide embedded in it. I usually don’t like the cutting tools or sand paper from HF, but this carving wheel is one great abrasive tool. It cut all that wood away and is still sharp enough to do it again. I hate to say that I burned out a $10 HF angle grinder using it, but that would not hold up to work this wheel did. I finished the job with a Porter Cable angle grinder.

I also used it to carve some green mesquite wood and it loaded up the carbide after a while, but it was easily cleaned on a brass wire wheel and went back to some serious material removal.

I would highly recommend this $10 wheel !!

View Jim Jakosh's profile

Jim Jakosh

View Woodwrecker's profile

Woodwrecker

#1 posted 03-14-2014 at 08:43 PM

They have a few gems if you know what to watch for.
Thanks.

-- Having fun...Eric

View doubleDD's profile

doubleDD

#2 posted 03-14-2014 at 09:41 PM

I have seen these and wondered about their quality. Good to hear. So if I understand you correctly you had a 4 1/2’’ log and cut it down to a 2 1/2’’ log?

-- --Dave, Downers Grove, Il. When you run out of ideas, start building your dreams

View Randy_ATX's profile

Randy_ATX

#3 posted 03-15-2014 at 07:28 AM

Thanks Jim for taking the time to post this. Because of your review, I’m going to pick one up. I’ve been wanting to get into carving with my 4 1/2” Makita paddle grinder, and this is the perfect way to inexpensively test the waters.

-- Randy -- Austin, TX by way of Northwest (Woodville), OH

View luv2learn's profile

luv2learn

#4 posted 03-15-2014 at 09:21 AM

Hey Jim, FYI, that is the very same grinding wheel I used to take out the material when I built the rocking chair and the footstool. A friend of mine lent me his Holey Gallahad wheel that cost between $75-$85 but it didn’t perform any better than the HF wheel. I used the 4 1/2” 60, 80, & 120 grit HF flap wheels as a follow up.

-- Lee - Northern idaho~"If the women don't find you handsome, at least they ought to find you handy"~ Red Green

View Joe Lyddon's profile

Joe Lyddon

#5 posted 03-15-2014 at 10:36 AM

Very good, Jim!

That looks like it would be good for sculpturing Maloof chairs, seats, etc. WITHOUT a lot of fine dust displaced!

I will give it a try…

Thank you very much!

EDIT:
I went to HF, searched, searched, and SEARCHED… Could NOT find what you found.
Could you please provide the Item# and/or a Link to the product?

View tefinn's profile

tefinn

#6 posted 03-15-2014 at 11:37 AM

Thanks for the review! I’ve been thinking of some projects with sculpted carving but the cost of the carving wheels has kept me from going ahead with it. For $10 I’ll give it a try.

Joe, here’s a link to the grinding wheel

-- Tom Finnigan - Measures? We don't need no stinking measures! - Hmm, maybe thats why my project pieces don't fit.

View Joe Lyddon's profile

Joe Lyddon

#7 posted 03-15-2014 at 12:20 PM

tefinn,

Thank you very much for the link… I wasn’t using the right words for the search! LOL
... sure makes a difference…!

Thanks again.

View Roger's profile

#8 posted 03-15-2014 at 05:34 PM

Thnx for your review Jim. HF does have some diamonds in the ruff.

-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Kentuk55@bellsouth.net

View rrww's profile

rrww

#9 posted 03-17-2014 at 02:28 PM

Thanks for this review – it will be nice to save the extra $60 over the brand name wheel.

View Jim Jakosh's profile

Jim Jakosh

#10 posted 03-18-2014 at 01:29 PM

Glad to bee of help to you carvers out there.
Tom, thanks for the link right to Harbor Freight!!..................Jim

View WorksInTheory's profile

WorksInTheory

#11 posted 03-25-2014 at 04:58 PM

Went to go buy it but can’t find it at all on the HF site. Any body have any luck?