Best used Tool I ever purchased

Review by steve posted 03-14-2014 10:43 PM 2715 views 0 times favorited 12 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Best used Tool I ever purchased Best used Tool I ever purchased Best used Tool I ever purchased Click the pictures to enlarge them

I got this Ryobi 1300 Planer 3 years ago…I took a shot at it for $100 used, but actually almost new…the owner passed away just after buying it, and his wife sold it to me, I would have given her more, but that’s all she wanted. I have the box, receipt, EVERYTHING!
I’ve had a Delta, and and an ole General…I gotta give this Ryobi the props though…and it is the ONLY Ryobi tool I own…I am not a big fan, but this older 1300 is a great design.

The lock is what does it justice…barely, if any, snipe…I was astonished.

It has performed stellar. I use it for everything. No issues, not one.

If you can find a 1300, give it a go…I was pleasantly surprised!

Chip/dust collection is superb (on a 4+” line) I did have to order new knobs for chute, they were lost… customer service (ordering knobs) – excellent
Snipe – nill to none
Power – more than enough – I run on it’s own circuit, but that’s just me, not necessary.
Noise – a bit noisy but tolerable
adjustments/repeat-ability – excellent
Tables – excellent/adjustable
Weight – not exactly light, but again tolerable
Knives – excellent, reversable, self setting, no effort at all
Reliability – ++++++ GREAT!

View BoardSMITH's profile

BoardSMITH

#1 posted 03-14-2014 11:45 PM

Ryobi came out with the first portable surface planer, AP10, in the 90’s. They were almost indestructable.

-- David www.TheBoardSMITH.com

View jeff's profile (online now)

jeff

#2 posted 03-15-2014 12:10 AM

glad you like it and thx for sharing…

-- Jeff,Tucson,Az.

#3 posted 03-15-2014 12:35 AM

Sounds like you are satisfied with your purchase and it has served you well

-- Norman

View cutworm's profile

cutworm

#4 posted 03-15-2014 12:47 AM

I had the Ryobi planer too. Good rugged machine. The one I had didn’t have infeed or outfeed tables – about the only area for improvement. Thanks for the post.

-- Steve - "Never Give Up"

#5 posted 03-15-2014 02:26 AM

that’s the 1301…w/o the tables it’s a struggle to get a “level” feed. But you can MAKE tables. GOOGLE it

View LyallAndSons's profile

LyallAndSons

#6 posted 03-15-2014 04:56 AM

I still have the 1301 model I bought several years ago. I have to order knives online since Home Depot doesn’t stock them anymore but, other than that, its great. I have a 15 inch Delta so it doesn’t see a lot of work anymore but I’m sure it can handle almost anything I throw at it

-- Lyall & Sons Woodsmiths...Custom handcrafted woodwork since 1989

View patron's profile

patron

13034 posts in 1999 days

#7 posted 03-15-2014 02:39 PM

got both
the AP-10 (for job site work)
and the AP-1300 for the shop
both work super still
(got a 20” 4 knife grizlly too
with dispozablades)

having worked in many cab shops over the years
with different planers
(all with some glitches)

so long as i can find disposable knives for them
i’m good

the ‘stop’ lever on the Ap 1300
really comes in handy
when i need to make same thickness pieces
for later add-ons or repeatability

simple and reliable
good review

#8 posted 03-15-2014 02:47 PM

Thanks for the review .

View dschlic1's profile

dschlic1

#9 posted 03-18-2014 05:22 PM

I purchase a used AP-12 planner. Just finished thickness planning about 12 yellow pine boards 40” x 8”. No snip, no problems and a smooth surface. Lots of chips on the floor through!

#10 posted 03-19-2014 12:16 AM

yup…I have a 4” DC hose, to a separator bucket, but get some chips out front as I am planing, still…I have to stay vigilant about the bed being clean b4 feeding, ha
thanx

View WoodyMO's profile

WoodyMO

#11 posted 04-17-2014 04:11 AM

Blades for the AP1301 are the same as the Ridgid TP1300

View Jim Finn's profile

Jim Finn

#12 posted 05-04-2014 01:11 PM

I had one of these that I liked. It did draw a lot of current when starting. Tripped the breaker a few times. Good cuts and lots of chips.I sold it when I moved. I should have kept it.

-- In God We Trust