Stanley Fat Max 15" handsaw - Fantastic!

Review by Joe Lyddon posted 169 days ago 1923 views 0 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Stanley Fat Max 15" handsaw - Fantastic! No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I just received this saw, tried it out, and it cuts like a DREAM!

Easy start… cuts…. Very study blade… stays nice and straight.

Very comfortable hardwood handle with a nice rubber hand-hold. Super Nice!

One nice thing I just noticed, that I didn’t think was going to be there, the Handle-to-Blade at top is 90 so you can use it to draw a straight 90 line like a T Square.

At the bottom Handle-to-Blade is 45 so one can draw a 45 like a T Square.

I love it!

It has a nice hanging hole toward the end.

They are Ultra Sharp... I do NOT see this saw being sharpened… It is a disposable saw... When it ever gets dull (I don’t see how could), you just use the metal for something else and buy a NEW one!

They only cost about $15.
I included this with a few more items so I could get FREE Shipping, which was excellent USPS.

If you would like a COOL little 15” handsaw, I think you will LOVE this one!

View CharlesA's profile

CharlesA

I agree with this review. Picked one of these up when I was away from home and needed a saw. I’ve started using it instead of “better” saws for some general cutting. The double teeth (whatever they’re called) are both very effective and, as you note, probably impossible to hand sharpen.

View Rick M.'s profile

Rick M.

I have the older version before it was a “FatMax” and it is excellent for cutting laminate flooring, those hard little teeth just zip right through it, but once you get into anything much bigger it’s a slow job. They’ve probably improved them since mine.

-- |Statistics show that 100% of people bitten by a snake were close to it.|

View kooldecker's profile

kooldecker

I have had one of these for about 8 years now. I am hard on my regular saws. mine has cut everything from purpleheart for woodworking projects…....all the way to concrete formwork with dried concrete on them. cant say enough about it. its JUST finally showing signs of needing replacement and ill be getting another for sure!

-- " I dont understand......I cut that board AT LEAST 4 times and its STILL too short!"

View Grumpymike's profile

Grumpymike

I think what I liked about this saw best is that it was sharp.
After using it for a couple of years, for everything in the world, it seemed to slow down a bit.
About then, I sent my Diston D-95 and the D-45 out for sharpening and was amazed at how they out performed the Fat Max.
So, off to the big box to replace the disposable Fat Max … Yep the new one works just like the way the old one used to … And now I can keep the “good” saws for good and the Fat Max for all the other stuff.

-- Grumpy old guy, and lookin' good Doin' it. ... Surprise Az.

Joe Lyddon

The next saw I want to get is the 14 inch Back Saw...

Probably the next time when building an order for Free Shipping :) LOL

View Brrman's profile

Brrman

I have had this saw for a couple years now. It got some extensive use when I built my deck and then my backyard fence the following summer. Still ultra sharp. Love that little tool. My guess is I’ll get a couple more years out of it before it needs replacing.

-- "Being a perfectionist does not make one perfect..."

View Roger's profile

Thnx for your review Joe. A saw like this is always handy/dandy to have around.

-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Kentuk55@bellsouth.net

View Oldtool's profile

Oldtool

Agree with all above, great saw for the money. I dedicate mine to breaking down & rough dimensioning lumber, cuts fast, but leaves a bit of tear out on the bottom side. Save wear and tear on the good saws though.

-- "I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The point is to bring them the real facts." - Abraham Lincoln

View CFrye's profile (online now)

CFrye

Thanks for the review Joe! I keep this in the back of the Explorer to cut down 2×4’s etc to fit inside the vehicle during inclement weather. I did not realize the 90/45 degree part of the handle, great little tidbit. I am surprised it’s not on the packaging more prominently than it is (I finally found it-talk about fine print!).

-- God bless, Candy

Joe Lyddon

Candy… I almost missed it too…
Very small print on the packaging…

To me, they’re missing the boat in NOT tooting their horn about such a cool feature!