Love it!

Review by UncleStumpy posted 161 days ago 2428 views 0 times favorited 23 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Love it! Love it! No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have never reviewed any tool before, but I like this one so much that I needed to say something.
I, like most LJ’s, build my own jigs and push sticks, but I need to cut a lot of small pieces for trim, inlay etc.
I have already cut myself on the tablesaw once and that was plenty for the rest of my life!!!!

So I bought the basic Grr-ripper with the additional 1/8” leg, set it up and started cutting slightly under 1/8’
pieces and my hands were NO WHERE NEAR the blade. What a great feeling!!! The rubberized legs actually held onto the small piece that was cut and slid it right out with the uncut piece – so I didn’t have to worry about kick back or losing the piece under all the saw dust.

Ok, it’s mostly plastic but very well put together and they give you plenty of screws and washers to make different configurations. I’ve been a woodworker for 10 years and, to me, this tool is well worth the money.
I know there will be somebody out there that hates this thing but I love it.

Hope this review helps some LJ to make up his mind! Uncle Stumpy

-- "They don't want it perfect - they want it SPECIAL"

View UncleStumpy's profile

UncleStumpy

View doubleDD's profile

doubleDD

I purchased one of these years ago and thought the legs were a fantastic idea. I use mine mainly for the router work and wouldn’t work without it now.

-- --Dave, Downers Grove, Il. When you run out of ideas, start building your dreams

View DocSavage45's profile

DocSavage45

I’ll think about it! Is that the “Little Gripper!” :-)

-- Cau Haus Designs, Thomas J. Tieffenbacher

View redryder's profile

redryder

No picture?? No price?? No idea what it looks like, how big, how small?? 1/8” leg??

Glad you like it….................

-- mike...............

View DeLayne Peck's profile

DeLayne Peck

The Grr-Ripper is expensive. You can build it yourself: See the RipSnorter.

-- DJ Peck, Lincoln Nebraska. I think of my shop as Fritter City. I am the Mayor.

View UncleStumpy's profile

UncleStumpy

Sorry redryder!!! I guess I just assumed that everybody knew what it looked like – my mistake, big time.

The picture is of the basic model. It comes with a 1/2” leg and a 1/4” leg. I think the middle leg is 1”.
Everything on the tool is movable and adjustable to accommodate just about any cut on any size board.
YouTube has a bunch of videos that show how the thing works. They are pretty good videos.

DeLayne is right, it is kind of expensive about $60.00. He is also right about building one for a lot cheaper.
I build all of my own jigs etc, but decided to treat myself on this one (birthday).

doubleDD – I haven’t tried it on the router yet, but I will.
Thanks for the questions guys…. more are welcome.

-- "They don't want it perfect - they want it SPECIAL"

View GregD's profile

GregD

I use my Grr-Rippers and Bench Dog push blocks almost any time I rip on the table saw. Even ripping wide stock I think the push blocks get a better grip on the material than my hands. But this requires keeping the top cleaned and lubricated. I don’t think I ever use a push stick anymore.

I also use them for most of my work at the router table. As a result I find that I rarely need hold-downs since I can safely keep plenty of pressure on the work right up near the bit. The Grr-Rippers are particularly good when cutting an edge profile along the entire thickness of the work. They can provide a bearing surface against the fence on the outfeed side of the fence.

-- Greg D.

View Chris 's profile

Chris

I have been thinking about getting one of these because of all the great reviews. Is there any big different between the basic model and the Gripper 200? I am all about saving a buck if I can. Thanks for the review!

View sikrap's profile

sikrap

999 posts in 1983 days

I have a few of these and they are great!! They take a little getting used to at the table saw because it will straddle the blade for some cuts, but once you get past that, they are fantastic. They also work great at the jointer and router table. Yeah, they are pricey, but they’re worth it.

-- Dave, Colonie, NY

View gtbuzz's profile

gtbuzz

These things are addictive (albeit as DeLayne Peck mentioned, pricey). I started off with one, but not too long after, I realized it was lonely and needed an companion, so I got a second one. Really helps with ripping anything over a foot long or so. I used them on the table saw, jointer and router table until recently, when I got a pair of the Grriper Blocks to use on the router table and jointer. They’re less bulky and IMO better suited for those machines than their bigger cousins (on routing I miss out on the bearing surface that GregD talks about though). It’s really great on the jointer with the trailing hooks.

About the only thing I don’t like about mine (and it’s really minor) is that when you’re ripping down stock that’s narrower than the body, I have to use the riving knife instead of the my blade guard which has dust extraction. When that happens, that’s usually when I pull out the old push sticks.

View fuzzface's profile

fuzzface

Looks like a great idea. Question….I have an overarm dust collector hanging over the blade on my table saw. Looks like I would have to move it to use the Grr-ripper ???

-- I'm a LumberJock and I'm OK.............. I sleep all night and I work all day !!

View woodsmithshop's profile

woodsmithshop

I also have an over arm blade guard/dust collector, and it is in the way for using the gripper, unless the board is wide enough, but I do like the gripper for table saw and router table use.

-- Smitty!!!

View retfr8flyr's profile

retfr8flyr

I also love my Gripperr’s. I use them on my table saw, router table and even on my jointer for some pieces. I really can’t imaging cutting small pieces on my table saw without one.

-- Earl

View oldretiredjim's profile

oldretiredjim

Not as expensive as a finger or a two. I use mine all the time.

View redryder's profile

redryder

UncleStumpy thanks for the update. From the feedback it sounds like a must have tool (he says to the wife)...............

-- mike...............

View CharlesA's profile

CharlesA

When I make a jig, I try to balance what it will do for me versus the time it takes to build it. I have limited workshop time, and really want to focus on making things I’ll enjoy. I spent a lot of time on my crosscut sled, but it has paid off over and over. I look at the number of homemade Grr-rippers, and I’m impressed by the creativity that went into them, but I don’t find the expense of the Grr-ripper worth the time away from making the projects I’m really interested in. That’s just me.

I use it on 90% of table saw cuts and about 75% of router table cuts.