Effective, Comfortable Hearing Protection

Review by CharlesA posted 03-10-2014 11:37 PM 1409 views 0 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Effective, Comfortable Hearing Protection No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Becoming more safety conscious in the workshop is something I’ve had to learn—it doesn’t come naturally to me. So even after I started wearing safety glasses regularly, using safety guards on tools, and consciously following safe tool use, I didn’t wear hearing protection. Why not? Because the loud noises didn’t really bother me, and I didn’t like any of the hearing protection I tried: some cheap earmuff style from the local hardware store, and the headband with small plugs. So, I went without most of the time.

And then I read someone’s recommendation of these Ultimate 10s on a forum post on LJ. I decided I should be more careful with my hearing. The verdict: They both block out more noise than the others I tried and were more comfortable at the same time. Now I wear hearing protection all the time.

So, if you’re looking for hearing protection that you actually wear without breaking the bank ($20-30), go for the Ultimate 10s.

View Hawaiilad's profile

Hawaiilad

2035 posts in 1688 days

#1 posted 03-11-2014 05:37 AM

Mind sharing where you purchased these

-- Larry in sunny and warm Hawaii,

#2 posted 03-11-2014 05:58 AM

Amazon. $20.

View CessnaPilotBarry's profile

CessnaPilotBarry

#3 posted 03-11-2014 12:19 PM

These are the best! As is the sister product, the H10A! Peltor nailed it.

I have a few of these, and these are the lightest, most comfortable muffs I own… Don’t let the lightweight wires fool you into thinking they’re fragile, a few of mine are over 10 years old. I also have examples from David Clark, Leight, as well as Bilsom Thunders.

A no-brainer at ~ $20…

-- It's all good, if it's wood...

#4 posted 03-11-2014 04:38 PM

Barry, how is the H10A different. They look almost identical from the outside.

View CessnaPilotBarry's profile

CessnaPilotBarry

#5 posted 03-11-2014 05:12 PM

I can’t tell from mine… Color? Same rating, same frame, same price… I’m not sure why they offer both.

-- It's all good, if it's wood...

#6 posted 03-11-2014 09:51 PM

Thank you , I need to replace my current ones soon.

View woodsmithshop's profile

woodsmithshop

#7 posted 03-12-2014 03:55 PM

they have a db reduction rating of 30 db, which is good.

-- Smitty!!!

View Jeff_in_KCMO's profile

Jeff_in_KCMO

#8 posted 03-12-2014 05:46 PM

we used those muffs in the power plant, and they were great.