Bessey H Style pipe clamp

Review by HarveyM posted 144 days ago 1703 views 0 times favorited 14 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Bessey H Style pipe clamp No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’ve have a recent disappointing experience with Bessey pipe clamps; of the four bought one had a slipping clutch and two others had skewed threading in the head casting. Those two had jaws that wouldn’t align with the feet flat on the table. That’s aside from casting flaws & voids. They came in cardboard boxes, rather than the clear plastic packaging, but from a reputable dealer. I replaced them with Pony 50’s for slightly higher price, but Ponys are head and shoulders above Bessey quality wise. Sad, I have a dozen of the original Bessey parallel clamps that I love.

HarveyM

View CharlesA's profile (online now)

CharlesA

Wow I haven’t had any problems with them.

View gamygeezer's profile

gamygeezer

I like these, with the wide stance high off the table. I have had to file casting flaws off the tails to get them to slide freely on the pipes. I’ve never had slipping clutches, but often the tails will rotate out of alignment with the heads when used on the sides of a cabinet. Because of that and the weight of pipes in general, I only use them as “base” clamps on the table.

-- What's a vibrant young guy like me doing in a broken down old body like this?

View Gene Howe's profile

Gene Howe

5418 posts in 2033 days

Black pipe usually has less slippage than the silver pipe.

HarveyM

In this case the clutch slipping was due to the steel plates hanging up on the casting. They weren’t slipping under pressure- I could slide them up and down the pipe by hand (with the clutch ‘engaged’). I probably could have ground down the casting, but with 3 out of 4 having problems I decided to return. I wanted to like them, but the QC was abysmal.

Very surprised by this. I am usually in awe of how nicely the threads are machined on these clamps. I have never run across a defective clamp, and have been very happy with the clamping performance. Sorry you got a bad batch. I have never seen these sold in cardboard boxes before.
I would say to people shopping for clamps to give these a try. They are my primary panel clamp.

View ruel24's profile

ruel24

Aren’t these newer ones made in China, now? Maybe that’s the problem?

HarveyM

Yes, they were made in China.

View woodbutcherbynight's profile

woodbutcherbynight

I saw these 3/4 pipe clamps at the woodworking show, a customer pointed this quality issue out and the seller told him that this is the best you can get these days. Sad, and no I did not buy them at 13.99 each.

-- Live to tell the stories, they sound better that way.

View Scott Oldre's profile

Scott Oldre

366 posts in 2036 days

Harbor Freight clamps work well for me. Cheaper, and no issues in years, other than the twirly handle slipping off the press fit connection. slip it back on and keep twirling.

-- Scott, Irmo SC

View Mark Davisson's profile

Mark Davisson

477 posts in 1922 days

+1 for Scott Oldre, except mine aren’t press fit and stay on. 6 bucks each, I think.

-- I'm selfless because it feels so good!

View CharlesA's profile (online now)

CharlesA

I have two sets of the HF. Funny how we have lower expectations of HF. If the handle fell off a bessey or Pony we’d complain about QC, but laugh and go in with HF.

View NormG's profile (online now)

Couple weeks ago, I attempted to purchase these for a twin bed frame project, but they were out, computer said they were suppose to. I purchased HF and they have been great

-- Norman

View Scott Oldre's profile

Scott Oldre

366 posts in 2036 days

I will add one thing here. If you go with the cheaper, or even the expensive versions without the tall feet, I highly recommend the plastic Rockler Sure-Foot Conversion Pads. They slide over both heads (pressure area) of the clamp and protect the wood as well as give you the taller stance you might be looking for. Very stable. I think they’re about $5 a pair. Well worth it.

-- Scott, Irmo SC

View Mark Davisson's profile

Mark Davisson

477 posts in 1922 days

“Funny how we have lower expectations of HF. If the handle fell off a bessey or Pony we’d complain about QC, but laugh and go in with HF.”

CharlesA, this is a subject that fascinates me – the value we place on things, or the concept of what represents value to each of us. I had never thought much about it until spending time on this website and reading the different views on various brands of tools as well as the value we place on our own time.

-- I'm selfless because it feels so good!