The Greatest Birthday Present / Bonus in History

Review by Kenyon94 posted 179 days ago 5814 views 1 time favorited 22 comments Add to Favorites Watch
The Greatest Birthday Present / Bonus in History No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I feel guilty posting the backstory on this, but the story needs to be told. I just started into woodworking four months ago. First, I built a workbench with some basic handheld powertools and was generally obsessed with my new hobby. In early January, I was with my business partner who happens to be my longtime best friend and I was once again talking about all the stuff I wanted to build and the tools I wanted to buy. He asked me what my dream purchase was, and I showed him the SawStop hot dog video.

Three weeks later, a 3HP PCS with the 36” T-Glide fence (and the overarm dust collection accessory and the industrial mobil base upgrade) showed up at my door. Unbelievable.

I called my buddy, generally speechless, and he said it was an overdue birthday present (which he’d forgotten, BTW, it’s a running joke over the decades that he always forgets, it was in December) and year-end bonus. Unbelievable. I’ll apologize right now to all other LJs who are thinking “OK that’s just not fair” and say yes, I agree, I’m insanely lucky and don’t deserve such an incredible gift. Which reminds me, this is meant to be a review, so let me get to explaining just how incredible I think this thing is.

I’ll caveat this by noting that I’ve never owned a table saw before – as a matter of fact, I’d literally never made a cut on a table saw before making my first cut with this one (though I watched probably 500 YouTube videos on technique and safety in preparation). So I’m not exactly a well qualified reviewer, but I think it’s safe to say that this is a ridiculously amazing precision instrument.

First, much has been said in other review about the incredibly intuitive and simple packaging and assembly instructions, but I’ll loudly second those comments. I’m generally not the handiest guy when it comes to this sort of thing, and I often find myself with extra parts or workarounds when I’m done assembling things. I can honestly say that you’ve have to be trying to not pay attention to mess this up. Color coding, intuitive instructions with pictures where needed, etc. Really amazing, and the fine tuning was simple though barely needed, it came basically aligned right out of the box. And it happens to be gorgeous.

Cutting with this thing is an absolute joy, and I pick that term intentionally. I get tremendous joy from using it, every time. The ability to get absolutely dead-on precise cuts just astounds me. I’ve already made some jigs for it (push blocks, adjustable miter fence), and I’m impressed with the dust collection capabilities. I have it hooked up to a Delta 50-760 (which I’ll review later) and it works great. The ONLY complaint I have is the included T-connector which is meant to bring the overarm dust tube into the main 4” feed comes in at a right angle, which is obviously not optimal, and others have complained about this before. So I bought one which comes in at a 45 degree angle and it’s much better.

The only other thing I wish it had, and maybe I’m the only one wishing for something like this and maybe it doesn’t make much sense, is for the extension table to have an optional cutout for a router plate insert. It would seem like that would be an easy thing to do at the factory. I’d absolutely love to convert mine into a router table, but there’s no way I’m going to mangle the table by cutting into the metal (I have no game in that department). I may build my own extension router table as other LJs have done and drop it in, but it would be so much easier if it was already done for me.

As soon as I’m finished (80% there), I’ll post pics of the hook-n-slat wall cleat system I’m building. Just too much fun!

Again, 100% satisfied and generally overjoyed with this table saw. And overwhelmingly grateful to have such an amazing friend in my life.

View Kenyon94's profile

Kenyon94

View Craftsman on the lake's profile

Craftsman on the lake

2383 posts in 2074 days

Wonderful gift. Not only is it a super saw, it’s the top model in that super saw line. Congrats. I’m sure your friend did it because he thinks you deserve it.

View Lumberpunk's profile

Lumberpunk

Far Out! Nice one!

View Greg In Maryland's profile

Greg In Maryland

Let me be the first to say,

Greg

Ps Since you are a newbie, just so you know the coveted “you suck” is not an insult :)

View eddie's profile

eddie

great present , and yes you suck big time :)

-- Jesus Is Alright with me

View eddie's profile

eddie

Kenyon94 and welcome to LJs after i read Greg post i see your new so let me say it common to to be told you suck when really it means happy for ya and way to go ,no insult intended

-- Jesus Is Alright with me

View Greg In Maryland's profile

Greg In Maryland

Thanks for clarifying that Eddie.

Kenyon, we all dream of receiving the “you suck” label. I think perhaps you earned the ultimate “you suck” award.

Could you let your partner know that my birthday is in the fall?

Greg

View michelletwo's profile

michelletwo

I have a 25+ yr old delta contractors saw…and a birthday next month..

-- We call the destruction of replaceable human made items vandalism, while the destruction of irreplaceable natural resources is called development.

View Kaleb the Swede's profile

Kaleb the Swede

Can I rent this friend of yours???! You SUCK! Congratulations on the new saw!

-- Just trying to build something beautiful

View The Box Whisperer's profile

The Box Whisperer

dude you really suck! You must also be a all around great guy and great friend, as is your buddy. Use it well and post on here a lot. May the force be with you. Oh yeah happy birthday.

-- "despite you best efforts and your confidence that your smarter and faster than a saw blade at 10k rpm…. your not …." - Charles Neil

View Delain's profile

Delain

Very nice! – - that is how a fellow newbie says “you suck!”.

Question: Why do you say, ”mangle the table by cutting into the metal” for installing a router table section?

Thanks for the reference to my first LJ Project posting, by the way. It should also allay any thoughts of having to mangle your new sweetness. I made a mention of similar reservations when doing my project.

Speaking of precision: Just wait until you tweak the clamping pressure of the fence so that your cuts precisely match the ruler setting on the fence tube; move the fence ndicator to the ruler mark, lock the handle, and cut. Very nice! (not ‘you suck’ again)

Keep posting projects.

View Bogeyguy's profile

Bogeyguy

Respect the power of your new “baby”. Be safe. If it doesn’t feel right, don’t do it.

-- Art, Pittsburgh.

View Kenyon94's profile

Kenyon94

Thanks everyone! Happy birthday to all of you (you all suddenly seem to have birthdays coming up :-)

I’ve looked at each of your project pages – if I can learn to make stuff half as nice as yours, I’ll be thrilled.

Kaleb the Swede: my business partner (the gifter) and I grew up and went to high school together in northern NJ, and he’s a Swede (his mother is from Soderham, so all four kids are fluent). Nice work on the dresser for your wife btw – that’s a nutty number of dovetails. Tak Tak for the comment.

Delain: I say ”mangle the table by cutting into the metal” because that’s what I’d have to do if I were to modify the existing extension table to drop in a router plate if I were to use their metal top surface. I’d suggest to SawStop that the best thing for them to do would be to ship the extension tables with rabbited router table shaped rectangles so you could either leave it in and it would operate like a regular flat table, or you could pop it out and drop in a router table plate with ease. I just don’t have the skill with metals to alter it myself, so I’ll likely do exactly what you did. Probably won’t come out as sweet as yours, but hopefully I can build something to do the job. Question for you: you mentioned clamping pressure on my fence. The clamping pressure on the fence seems okay to me – when I lock down the handle, the fence is solidly in place. I do have to sort of half clamp it first to make sure it’s seated against the tube before locking it down, otherwise it can move very slightly, but that’s the only adjustment I need to make and it’s pretty easy to do. Is there some further optimization in my future which I’m missing?

Fortunate to suck,
-Kenyon94

View Delain's profile

Kenyon,
If you’ll experiment with the ”parallelism adjustment screws”, you can find sort of a sweet spot where the fence won’t be jolted, or move from where you hoped to lock it, when you press the handle down.
Caveat – this also affects the fence’s parallel relationship to the miter slots. However, you can get there. I was amazed at the difference from the original clamping pressure which I didn’t question, until recently; more than a year of owning the saw.

Unless something has changed, your extension “table” is not made out of metal. It is some sort of composite plastic on a wood skeleton frame. That doesn’t change the desire to NOT modify the stock table, though. Go with a wood material; I used MDF.

View helluvawreck's profile

helluvawreck

It’s definitely a keeper. Congratulations.

helluvawreck aka Charles

View Tomoose's profile

Tomoose

320 posts in 2010 days

Nice saw! That should last a lifetime.
+1 on the suck ;-)

Stay safe and have fun – looking forward to seeing some great projects rolling out of your shop!

Tom

-- cut it twice and it's still too short...