More Accurate & Quicker

Review by OSU55 posted 03-06-2014 05:15 PM 2198 views 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
More Accurate & Quicker More Accurate & Quicker No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Traditionalists will roll their eyes and mumble bad words seeing a marking gauge with a battery. While not as attractive as the wood and brass version, this tool is more accurate and quicker than the old standard. It is well made and robust (unless dropped on the floor which could break the digital gauge). Made of steel it won’t warp or change with temperature, humidity, and age. The real benefit is having the linear gauge included so the distance does not have to be set using a ruler or digital caliper, so it’s quicker and more accurate. The large display is easy to read.

It can be set up as a divider and for marking mortises. Zero can be reset anywhere along the scale. I just finished doing a lot of layout work and this tool was much easier and quicker to use with the built in scale vs the extra step of setting distance with another tool. It can also be used as a digital caliper for various measurements. I paid $25 at a woodworking show. Two downsides to the tool: 1) battery going dead in the middle of working, in which case use it like a wooden one if no backup batteries, 2) the battery door has a tendency to come open a little loosing connection. Time will tell if the battery door becomes a real problem. May have to tape it closed.

View OSU55's profile

OSU55

View MarkTheFiddler's profile

MarkTheFiddler

1907 posts in 932 days

#1 posted 03-06-2014 11:31 PM

The price is right. Thanks for the review.

Question: Do you think it will score some of the harder woods?

-- Thanks for all the lessons!

View camps764's profile

camps764

#2 posted 03-08-2014 01:43 PM

for only 25 bucks it doesnt seem like a bad deal to be honest. might be a little overkill on accuracy – but I’d use the thing.

-- Steve. Visit my website http://www.campbellwoodworking.com

View HillbillyShooter's profile

HillbillyShooter

#3 posted 03-08-2014 02:21 PM

Thanks for the information and review. This is something I would definitely try.

View Richard Hillius's profile

Richard Hillius

#4 posted 03-08-2014 09:03 PM

One of the big things I fought with early on when I started to spend more time with traditional hand tools and less with power tools was the change in thought process on how you layout and process parts. I can’t tell you how wide my mortises in a 3/4-1” piece is other than they are referenced off a roughly 3/8” mortising chisel that is very old (I have never measured it’s width to more than a 1/16”). I set my marking gauges pins to the width of that chisel roughly in the middle of the piece and than scribe those lines on both pieces using a common reference face. This pushes any errors to the back face of the piece where I clean them up with a plane to smooth everything out. I don’t worry if the pieces are exactly the same width or that the mortise is exactly centered or a exact size because as long as I use the same marking gauge and mortising chisel referenced from the same face consistently it doesn’t affect the results.

I guess what I am saying is that it’s easy to fall into the trap of trying to impose the same level of precision on hand tool operations that is needed with power tools and in most cases it’s just not needed and you end up just making a lot more work for yourself than you should. I’m not dissing the tool as it seems to be a very well made item just it’s purpose in hand tool work and I don’t see where a marking gauge really fits in power tool work either.