Returned

Review by JSB posted 138 days ago 3943 views 0 times favorited 37 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Returned Returned No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

UPDATE 1 After one week of use the EXACT same problem I was having with the Ridgid appeared. I’m waiting on Grizzly to see how they handle this situation. The blade misalignment when lowering and raising the blade is worse than it was on the RIDGID. It’s so strange that it takes a few days worth of use for this to show up. The exact same problem with two completely different companies. I’m cursed. I shot a video this time of the problem. You can see it here:

UPDATE 2 Grizzly contacted me back asking me to return the saw in exchange for a brand new one of the same model that will be inspected for the same issue before it leaves them. I’m done with table mounted trunnions so I’m not getting another G0751P. I’m getting the G0690 instead. Hopefully I won’t have to worry about a table saw for 20 or 30 years and I can get back to woodworking. I shot another video showing the problem but this time I measured the deflection with a dial indicator. You can see it here:

UPDATE 3 Hey folks. I honestly forgot about updating this. Grizzly returned the saw with zero issues and wanted to give me another new G0715p that was to be inspected for the same issue before leaving their facility. I was tired of dealing with the same issue over and over so I decided to just get the G0690 instead. I’ve had it for a couple months now and I’ll post something about that saw after a little while.

I never had the opportunity to use a good G0715p but I’m sure my problem isn’t too common as they sell thousands of these saws.

Grizzly’s customer service is A++. It’s the reason I chose another Grizzly model even after this situation.

Original post:
After wasting time and money trying to replace my Porter-Cable hybrid saw with a RIDGID I decided to spend a little more and get a more solid saw. I chose the Grizzly G0715P because of my excellent experience with my Grizzly band saw. The old “you get what you pay for” saying is so true with table saws. If you buy a benchtop model you will be thrilled after upgrading to a box store hybrid. If you have a box store hybrid you will be thrilled upgrading to something like this.

Pros:
-prewired for 220 (pro for me, maybe not for you)
-Switch location
-Cast iron wings
-Enclosed cabinet with great stock dust collection (I imagine better if magnets used to cover the slots in front and foam to seal the gaps at the table/cabinet connection)
-The hand wheels feel much more solid than what I’ve used before
-t-square style fence (yay!!)

Cons:
-The insert plates are thin like most other hybrid saws which makes it difficult to reproduce. I think I will be able to make one but I would have been much happier with a standard drop in style insert plate. Minor annoyance.
-See updates above.

-- Jay - http://www.jayscustomcreations.com or http://www.woodworkingwithsketchup.com

View Monte Pittman's profile

Monte Pittman

I just bought a new Grizzly, 3hp 220 (not a hybrid). Love it. Way better than anything I have had before.

-- Mother Nature created it, I just assemble it. - It's not ability that we often lack, but the patience to use our ability

View tme4tls's profile

tme4tls

The dust collection on Grizzly saws can be helped with a small alteration.

I found the dust built up near the door and on the lip of the door inside. So I bought an air conditioning register, cut a square opening in the door installed the register and the dust doesn’t build up inside the saw. If you try this install the register with the louvers pointing down.

View Woodwrecker's profile

Woodwrecker

I love my Grizzly jointer.
There stuff is welcome in my shop anytime.
Nice post Jay.

-- Having fun...Eric

View Grumpymike's profile

Grumpymike

Congrats on the new saw Jay. As I have just placed an order for the same saw from Grizzly, I read with great interest your companion post http://jayscustomcreations.com/2014/03/grizzly-g0715p-hybrid-table-saw/

I enjoyed the detail of unpacking and assembling the saw with interest as I will also be doing it by my self.

Jay I did find your comparison of the other saws as you called it, “apples to oranges”. Those ‘bench top’ saws and ‘worksite’ saws just aren’t designed to do the work we woodworkers require, they are designed for the framers where 1/8th is close enough. ... Been there done that and learned my lesson.

I worked for several years on a Grizzly 1022 and was happy as a pig in mud with it. Later on I was forced to sell off all of the shop equipment. It was later replaced with the Rigid TS2424 (I bought it used) and now 10 years later, I, like you am up grading to a real shop saw.

-- Grumpy old guy, and lookin' good Doin' it.

View eddie's profile

eddie

got two Grzzley tools 17 inch band saw and 18 inch drum sander and both are great and the costumer relations is a plus ,no bad words for the company

-- Jesus Is Alright with me

View sawdustjunkie's profile

sawdustjunkie

That is the same one I have been looking at. Probably a big step up from my Craftsman 113. I am sure mine is only 1.5 h.p so 2h.p. should be fine.
I also bought the same bandsaw you have Jay. My first project was a rocking horse for my grand daughter.
It cut thru 8/4 hard maple without any problem.
Then winter hit here and it’s been so cold I can hardly get out in the garage to work, so I started insulating the garage and installed a sub panel for electrical and 220 outlets.
Hope it works well for you. I can’t wait to get back in the garage to start working on stuff.

-- Steve: Franklin, WI

View Roger's profile

Thnx for your review. Been hearing a lotta good stuff about this saw. It’s good to hear.

-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Kentuk55@bellsouth.net

View NiteWalker's profile

NiteWalker

Kudos on your new saw Jay!
While I’m not a fan of table mounted trunnions, the 715P is a solid hybrid for the price.
Leagues better than the pc and ridgid saws for sure.
The thin throat plate is definitely a downer, but some phenolic with a rabbet around the edges should work great.

Can’t wait to see some vids with the new saw as the star. :)

-- He who dies with the most tools... dies with the emptiest wallet.

View Kaleb the Swede's profile

Kaleb the Swede

I was a little confused when I saw you had traded your old porter cable for the rigid. Good to see you got something nicer than that

-- Just trying to build something beautiful

View woodcox's profile

woodcox

Congrats on the new machine Jay. I just got a 10% coupon code today. Hopefully I will have the same saw on its way to me soon.

-- "My god has more wood than your god" ... G. Carlin.

View Rex B's profile

Rex B

I’ve had my G0715P for more than 2 years now, and I love the saw. I made some zero-clearance inserts out of 1/2” baltic birch plywood, with a rabbit routed around the perimeter and a few other spots that needed clearance. The edges of the insert ended up about 1/8” thick, but it is plenty stiff and I don’t have any problems with flexing.

-- Rex

View Noel Fisher's profile

Noel Fisher

JSB – I’ve looked (twice now) at the grizzly g0715p manual and have not found anything indicating distance from blade to miter slot. Can you tell me what it is please? I am considering purchase. Most people seem to like it a lot, and I’d really like to replace my 20-year-old Craftsman.

-- Noel

JSB

Niftynoel – I have it wrote down on paper in the shop but if I recall correctly the blade is about 4” from the right miter slot and about 5” from the left. I’ll get the exact measurements next time I’m in there.

JSB

Updated the original post and added a video link. Same trunnion problem as the Ridgid. I’m cursed.

View Noel Fisher's profile

Noel Fisher

Oh my… and I am considering a purchase of this very saw. My 20-year-old Craftsman has never had anything go bad. I’ll have to reconsider. Incidentally, this is sure not operator error.

-- Noel