ACCIDENTAL, (DEFINITELY OFF-LABEL), SANDPAPER DISC CLEANER!

Review by jeffwedekind posted 145 days ago 2528 views 10 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
ACCIDENTAL, (DEFINITELY OFF-LABEL), SANDPAPER DISC CLEANER! ACCIDENTAL, (DEFINITELY OFF-LABEL), SANDPAPER DISC CLEANER! No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I discovered this little gem of a use completely by accident one day.

I had been sanding a lot of pine on my disc sander and the disc was completely gummed up with resin. It was shot! Or so I thought. As fate would have it, I needed to sand some finer parts, and I didn’t have another disc on hand. The closest place to get a new 12’’ disc is over 100 miles away, so I tried to figure out a way to get the disc back in action. I tried my trusty gum block, nothing. I tried sanding some metal, (in essence, to scrape it), not even close. I tried some mineral spirits, Nope…

I looked around to see what else I had on the shelves. I had some of this paint stripper that I use occasionally for stripping…. paint. I thought ’’what the heck’’, I certainly cant ruin it more. I was certain that it would simply just get under the paper and eat the adhesive.

About 20 mins later, much to my surprise, the resin came off quite easily with a nylon brush.

The picture speaks for itself. The adhesive was totally unharmed, and the paper was like brand new again!! In fact, I have repeated this on this same disc a few more times, and have yet to replace it. (though I do now have a spare, Just in case I run out of stripper) ;)

I wish I had a ’’before’’ picture, but as I said, this was an accidental discovery.

Oh… It works great on paint, and varnish too.

-- Jeff, eastern Wa

View jeffwedekind's profile

jeffwedekind

View tomd's profile

tomd

Thanks for the headsup, I think I’ll try it.

-- Tom D

View Rick M.'s profile

Rick M.

I have a gummed disc so I will give this a try.

-- |Statistics show that 100% of people bitten by a snake were close to it.|

View smitdog's profile

smitdog

Wow, great score! I hate throwing away those 12” discs, I’m definitely going to try this out!

View Thewoodman2000's profile

Thewoodman2000

When I worked at a furniture resto place we used this material all the time. It is a great product!!!
now knowing there is another use for it is GREAT!!!

Thanks for sharing this TIP with all of us!!!

-- (the only thing in there she says is...... saw dust) - James

View doubleDD's profile

doubleDD

Very interesting. I will try this method.

-- --Dave, Downers Grove, Il. When you run out of ideas, start building your dreams

View jeffwedekind's profile

jeffwedekind

Thanks guys.

I’m constantly gleaning great info from all you fellow lumber jocks. I’m just glad to finally get to contribute something useful.

Jeff

-- Jeff, eastern Wa

View Rick's profile

Rick

That’s good to know! Thanks!

Rick

-- COMMON SENSE Is Like Deodorant. The People Who need It Most, Never Use It.

View UncleStumpy's profile

UncleStumpy

Thanks Jeff. Now for the stupid question. Will other strippers work? O does it have to have the epoxy stripping component? Can’t wait to give it a try – I hate to waste sandpaper!

-- "They don't want it perfect - they want it SPECIAL"