Review by jeffwedekind posted 03-04-2014 11:22 PM 4172 views 11 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch

I discovered this little gem of a use completely by accident one day.

I had been sanding a lot of pine on my disc sander and the disc was completely gummed up with resin. It was shot! Or so I thought. As fate would have it, I needed to sand some finer parts, and I didn’t have another disc on hand. The closest place to get a new 12’’ disc is over 100 miles away, so I tried to figure out a way to get the disc back in action. I tried my trusty gum block, nothing. I tried sanding some metal, (in essence, to scrape it), not even close. I tried some mineral spirits, Nope…

I looked around to see what else I had on the shelves. I had some of this paint stripper that I use occasionally for stripping…. paint. I thought ’’what the heck’’, I certainly cant ruin it more. I was certain that it would simply just get under the paper and eat the adhesive.

About 20 mins later, much to my surprise, the resin came off quite easily with a nylon brush.

The picture speaks for itself. The adhesive was totally unharmed, and the paper was like brand new again!! In fact, I have repeated this on this same disc a few more times, and have yet to replace it. (though I do now have a spare, Just in case I run out of stripper) ;)

I wish I had a ’’before’’ picture, but as I said, this was an accidental discovery.

Oh… It works great on paint, and varnish too.

-- Jeff, eastern Wa

View jeffwedekind's profile

View tomd's profile

2020 posts in 3188 days

#1 posted 03-05-2014 01:08 AM

Thanks for the headsup, I think I’ll try it.

-- Tom D

View Rick M.'s profile

Rick M.

#2 posted 03-05-2014 02:28 AM

I have a gummed disc so I will give this a try.

View smitdog's profile

#3 posted 03-05-2014 03:14 PM

Wow, great score! I hate throwing away those 12” discs, I’m definitely going to try this out!

-- Jarrett - Mount Vernon, Ohio

View Thewoodman2000's profile

#4 posted 03-06-2014 06:41 PM

When I worked at a furniture resto place we used this material all the time. It is a great product!!!
now knowing there is another use for it is GREAT!!!

Thanks for sharing this TIP with all of us!!!

-- (the only thing in there she says is....tap on head..........tap..........tap..... saw dust) - James

View doubleDD's profile

#5 posted 03-07-2014 01:10 AM

Very interesting. I will try this method.

-- Dave, Downers Grove, Il. -------- When you run out of ideas, start building your dreams.

View jeffwedekind's profile

#6 posted 03-07-2014 05:37 PM

Thanks guys.

I’m constantly gleaning great info from all you fellow lumber jocks. I’m just glad to finally get to contribute something useful.

-- Jeff, eastern Wa

View Rick's profile

#7 posted 03-09-2014 07:32 AM

That’s good to know! Thanks!

-- Hope Everyone Is Doing Well! .... Best Regards: Rick

View UncleStumpy's profile

#8 posted 03-12-2014 03:22 AM

Thanks Jeff. Now for the stupid question. Will other strippers work? O does it have to have the epoxy stripping component? Can’t wait to give it a try – I hate to waste sandpaper!

-- "They don't want it perfect - they want it SPECIAL"