|Review by DannyBoy||posted 06-30-2008 03:17 PM||2184 views||1 time favorited||6 comments|
- Porter-Cable 2-1/4 HP (Maximum Motor HP) Multi-Base Router Kit
- Brand: Porter-Cable | Category: Routers
After being overly frustrated with the Craftsman router that I started out with (which still makes a good router for my router table), I finally broke down and bought this one this last weekend. I intended on picking up the Bosch combo at Lowes, but this one was on sale and I’m price minded to a fault. However, I can’t see how I could have made a better decision.
The router is solid. 100%. I’ve not had the luxury of working with a mid-grade router like this before, but I am amazed. I should have upgraded a long time ago and I wouldn’t have been so afraid of using routers for my projects.
- Wind up to full speed (doesn’t torque out of your hand when it starts)
- Heavy (not too heavy though; just right)
- Durable construction (no, I haven’t dropped it, but I don’t think it would hurt it much)
- Easy base, collet, and bit change
- Easy dial on fixed base
- Ruler on plunge very accurate
- Dust extraction on plunge (though I haven’t used that feature yet)
- Durable and flexible and long power chord
- Rubber handles (would have rather had wood)
- Doesn’t come with a dust extractor adapter to fit normal shop vac
Yeah, I’m nit-picking on the dislikes, but I really don’t have much to compare to and I’m overly impressed on it’s good sides. I pretty much breezed through a project this weekend (rabbit joints and a lot of curvy templates) that would have been impossible with my old router (or at least very frustrating). I would say the biggest problem I have with this router is my relative inexperience with using a quality router. I’m going to have to relearn a few things.
A quick note on my purchase: I happened into a 10% sale on this router. It showed a price of $189 at the store (but a similar model online lists around $279). On the receipt it should $170 with a $88 discount applied. If you are looking for a good router and can make it out today (the sale I believe ends 6/30) go and get it now. You won’t be disappointed.
-- He said wood...http://hickbyassociation.blogspot.com/