Great Deal

Review by DannyBoy posted 06-30-2008 03:17 PM 2153 views 1 time favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Great Deal No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

After being overly frustrated with the Craftsman router that I started out with (which still makes a good router for my router table), I finally broke down and bought this one this last weekend. I intended on picking up the Bosch combo at Lowes, but this one was on sale and I’m price minded to a fault. However, I can’t see how I could have made a better decision.

The router is solid. 100%. I’ve not had the luxury of working with a mid-grade router like this before, but I am amazed. I should have upgraded a long time ago and I wouldn’t have been so afraid of using routers for my projects.

Likes:
- Wind up to full speed (doesn’t torque out of your hand when it starts)
- Heavy (not too heavy though; just right)
- Durable construction (no, I haven’t dropped it, but I don’t think it would hurt it much)
- Easy base, collet, and bit change
- Easy dial on fixed base
- Ruler on plunge very accurate
- Dust extraction on plunge (though I haven’t used that feature yet)
- Durable and flexible and long power chord

Dislike:
- Rubber handles (would have rather had wood)
- Doesn’t come with a dust extractor adapter to fit normal shop vac

Yeah, I’m nit-picking on the dislikes, but I really don’t have much to compare to and I’m overly impressed on it’s good sides. I pretty much breezed through a project this weekend (rabbit joints and a lot of curvy templates) that would have been impossible with my old router (or at least very frustrating). I would say the biggest problem I have with this router is my relative inexperience with using a quality router. I’m going to have to relearn a few things.

A quick note on my purchase: I happened into a 10% sale on this router. It showed a price of $189 at the store (but a similar model online lists around $279). On the receipt it should $170 with a $88 discount applied. If you are looking for a good router and can make it out today (the sale I believe ends 6/30) go and get it now. You won’t be disappointed.

~Danny Boy

-- He said wood...http://hickbyassociation.blogspot.com/

View DannyBoy's profile

DannyBoy

View teenagewoodworker's profile

teenagewoodworker

#1 posted 06-30-2008 03:34 PM

cool router and a great sale too. i have a Dewalt router combo thats similar to that one and it works great. thanks for the post

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

#2 posted 06-30-2008 03:48 PM

I have the bosch model, but the PC seems like a very good alternative. I like how they modified many of the features with this newer model (for micro changes, grips, construction, etc) – looks like a real winner! enjoy the new toy …um.. I mean.. tool.

P.S. you listed the handles under CON, but from having the wooden handles on the Bosch they are very slippery, as opposed to the rubber ones on the other brands (including PC) – sure they look very cool, but not very practical. I actually have my fixed based permanently attached to my router table… I only work freehand with the plunge base which has RUBBER handles (ironically).

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

View John Gray's profile

John Gray

#3 posted 06-30-2008 04:12 PM

Got one of these for a friend for Christmas 2006 and have heard no complaints.

-- Only the Shadow knows....................

View Greg3G's profile

Greg3G

#4 posted 06-30-2008 11:25 PM

I’ve had this set for a while…while its much better than the craftman (which I burned up with use) and the Riobi that used to be in my router table, It has a couple of problems

While in the router table, the screws that held the motor’s adjustment teeth came out…both of them. This caused the adjuster to quit working. I was lucky I hadn’t vacumed them up. I found them after about 30 minutes of sifting through the shavings and dust. Put them back in with a little thread lock this time.

The system uses the fixed base for the router table, which I don’t mind. The problem is that fine dust collects between the motor and the mount and it can freeze up. I have to pull the whole thing out and clean the motor and the base. I hate to say this but the tolerance is too tight for that application.

Given those two problems are the only ones I have had with it, I am very satisfied with mine. As a matter of fact, I will probably buy another set for the shop.

-- Greg - Charles Town, WV

View DaveH's profile

DaveH

#5 posted 07-01-2008 12:16 AM

HP? Model?

-- DaveH - Boise, Idaho - “How hard can it be? It's only wood!”

View TheHarr's profile

TheHarr

#6 posted 09-27-2008 06:14 PM

I’ve had the PC 890 for a few years now. I have the fixed base set up in my router table and had the same problem that Greg mentioned. The the saw dust was binding the height adjustment. The solution was a no brainer, just whipe the router body with WD-40. That had the height adjustment working better than new.

My big I-DON’T-LIKE with this router is the plung base. Because of it’s offset design, it can bind when using the plung feature. I felt like helping it along with a BFH (you need to be in the navy to know what is.) The plung base needs a total redesign. Can somebody find the guy who designed the plung base and kick him square in the balls? That would adequately express my disfaction.

Does any one have any suggestions for a good after market router fence?

Your buddy, TheHarr