Veritas Large Spokeshave Kit

Review by Lumberpunk posted 182 days ago 1737 views 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Veritas Large Spokeshave Kit Veritas Large Spokeshave Kit Veritas Large Spokeshave Kit Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought this kits a few months ago and didn’t get time to make the body until recently.

As usual with Veritas products I found the packaging to be minimal, which I like. All the parts felt well made right away and the blade was already very flat and sharp, a few minutes on the worksharp brought it up to a nice mirror finish.

The instructions are detailed and clear and have a good tool and materials list at the beginning as well as warning you when any operation is crucial to be performed accurately. After dimensioning the wood I used a drill press, chisels, block plane, shoulder plane, bandsaw, rasps, files, the provided tap and sanding. I don’t often find myself performing that many operations on a single small piece.

I am guessing the project took me from 4-6 hours, maybe a little more spread out over 4 or 5 days. The only trouble I ran into was when I bent the brass strip while drilling the countersink for the screws, they do provide you with enough brass for a spare but I just tapped away gently with a hammer until I got it flat again.

Once built I set the tool up according to the instructions and started making shavings. I have never used another spokeshave but from the way it feels in my hands I would say it was working flawlessly. Nice long paper thin curly shavings!

All in all a great project and a great tool… looking forward to passing this one on to my children.

You can see my project here:

View Lumberpunk's profile

Lumberpunk

View michelletwo's profile

michelletwo

made one years ago & use it somewhere on just about everything I make. Glad you have one, you’ll get much use from it.

-- We call the destruction of replaceable human made items vandalism, while the destruction of irreplaceable natural resources is called development.

View jdh122's profile

jdh122

Nice review. I just bought the Veritas low-angle spokeshave (already have the various shapes of their regular SS, use them all the time and really like them). Maybe I should have been a bit more adventurous and gone for the kit. Your wood bodied shave sure looks prettier than the aluminium body one I have…

-- Jeremy, in the Acadian forests

View PCM's profile

PCM

Your project clealy was a sucess. You will no doubt enjoy using it. imade one several years ago using the veritas kit. It is the best spoke have I have. I highly recommend this. It’s fun to build and saves $$$$ vs anything that performs as well.