Craftsman 4-1/8" Bench Top Jointer/Planer Set UP

Review by ca8920 posted 02-28-2014 07:55 PM 3322 views 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Craftsman 4-1/8" Bench Top Jointer/Planer Set UP Craftsman 4-1/8" Bench Top Jointer/Planer Set UP Craftsman 4-1/8" Bench Top Jointer/Planer Set UP Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have a garage shop and a limited amount of space. I needed a jointer/planer for some upcoming projects so I chose the Craftsman 4-18” Bench Top Jointer/Planer.

Not the best tool out there but not the worst. The little jointer works well and does a decent job once set up and shimmed. My complaint, the setup.

While researching this tool I found multiple comments/complaints that the fence is too far from the blades, causing a small protrusion of wood on the work piece when you run it through the blades. Upon reading all the reviews I felt that Craftsman would surely have fixed the problem by now so I went ahead and bought one.

Upon setting up the jointer/planer I found the problem still exists and Craftsman has done nothing to fix the issue. Knowing this to be a consistent problem and needing the tool, I decided to shim the fence rather than return the tool. I took 4 small washers and installed them between the fence and the fence positioning brackets. See the second and third photos above. Once shimmed the fence aligns properly and the little jointer/planer works really well.

-- Chris, Sparks Nevada, https://www.facebook.com/ArmstrongTouch

View ca8920's profile

ca8920

#1 posted 03-01-2014 02:19 AM

Great solution,, hope it ontinues to meet your needs

-- Norman

View chem's profile

chem

#2 posted 03-01-2014 04:13 AM

Fortunately mine did not have this problem. I have been using it for a couple of years as a second jointer for small pieces (or nasty pieces that I don’t want to mess up the knives on my good jointer). It has far exceeded expectations. The granite beds seem superior in every way to metal beds for this application. I can’t remember what I paid for it because it was cheap.

-- chemist by day, woodworker time permitting

5387 posts in 1979 days

#3 posted 03-01-2014 05:43 AM

Just curious, since the cost difference is negligible, as is the space difference, was there a reason you chose the 4-1/8 instead of 6-1/8” jointer? I haven’t been able to pull up Sears tools pages in a while so I am not sure, they may not sell the larger bench top jointer any more for all I know…

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

View dhazelton's profile

dhazelton

#4 posted 03-05-2014 02:39 PM

If I didn’t read your review I would have just seen the rating and thought ‘one more reason to stay away from Sears.’ But as it works well for you with simple fine tuning doesn’t it deserve better than three stars? Even expensive equipment sometimes needs alignment or design mods from the end user. A sacrificial fence of wood or plastic would accomplish the same thing as well.

View LJackson's profile

LJackson

#5 posted 03-17-2014 08:07 PM

Washers aren’t all exactly the same thickness, so your fence may not be perfectly square to the blade. Not a problem when the table and fence are at 90 degress to one another, but if you tilt the fence then you’ll get a slight (maybe completly impreceptible) distortion in your bevel.